BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 740il has been doing some crazy things lately. It started about a month ago when my check brake lights light would go on and off thru out the week even though all bmw brake lights were working properly. Then I would be doing about 60 on the interstate when the enginefail safe light would come on and the car would start riding rough. I would then pull over turn car off and restart with no further problems this has happend about once a week for the past month. It usually happens when I'm trying to increase speed on highway. Then my door open light would come on and off even though all doors were secure. I had battery and alternator checked they said they seemed fine. I'm getting 13 volts with car running. I've heard bad ignition switch can cause electrical mayhem. Is there a way to check

·
Registered
766 Posts
13 volts sounds a little low, it should be around, or higher than 14v with all options (headlights, A/C, etc.) turned off.

I would get the charging system checked out again first. I don't know how to check the ignition switch on this car.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Pay special attention to the passenger sun visor and vanity mirror/light issues here - those are the biggest clues that point to the failed ignition switch -

LINK: Ignition switch issues on video by Q.

These are also the symptoms seen by DavidC -
1. Cruise control won't turn on or engage.
2. Glove compartment flashlight accessory plug has no power.
3. The navigation display and radio power flicker on and off on their own.

All of these issues appeared to be somewhat sensitive to vibrations at highway speeds. Things would randomly work then cease to work without warning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update!!!!!! I had the charging system retested twice an found out i had bad cell in the battery. So I replaced the battery with one from bmw dealer. I take the car for a test drive and as i merge on to highway and try to accelerate quite rapidly (not punching it) the engie failsafe light came back on im stuck please help im all ears

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
update!!!!!! I had the charging system retested twice an found out i had bad cell in the battery. So I replaced the battery with one from bmw dealer. I take the car for a test drive and as i merge on to highway and try to accelerate quite rapidly (not punching it) the engie failsafe light came back on im stuck please help im all ears
Engine fail safe? You are referring at Check engine light or Transmission Fail Safe text ?

If check engine we need the codes. Scan your car at your local parts store.

If text Trans. Fail Safe , I would suspect an electric issue since you have it before. Main fuses and some of the relays should be checked.

I'm still confused : Check Engine or Trans. Fail Safe :dunno:

Or there is this Engine Fail Safe and I am not aware of it...

Have you checked the ignition switch as stated by M.Wong?

Have you checked your positive connections at the starter terminals, alternator terminals and battery? And there is a big fuse in the box in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It says enginefailsafe progam not transsafe no codes come from obd and there is no check engine light
This is uncommon to the 7 series, I only saw a posting a while back.
However it is more common for the 5 and X series , and apparently is an electric issue.
I did a little research :

I had this happen on my '02. Turned out to be a bad connector on the MAF. Dealer had to replace the entire engine wiring harness, as BMW will not allow them to "spice in" new connectors. By Cofeeman

JUST!!! got the car back yesterday. Apparently.... They change "two vacum hoses" underneath the manifold (and some other part numbers) and then after it broke down on them they changed the computer. Fingers crossed....

On the first attempt they also changed the throttle housing. I have to say...I dont know if its just me but now it seems to fly like a rocket...
Reply With Quote By Dennis215

On the upper right there is a search window or use ctrl+f and type engine fail safe mode.

You had the alternator checked right? What was the output ? You should have around 14V.

I wish I could help more :dunno:

Keep us posted anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts