BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

My records show me that all my oil changes on my 1998 bmw e39 5 series has been feed 15w-40 its entire life...why does the bmw dealership hand me 5w-30 today at parts?
which is the better oil for my car?:thumbup: big big help if you can answer this one correctly for me.

thanks ps also where is my transmission fiud to change and what is the best fluid to use?:thumbup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is 15w -40 even suppose to be used in the car at all? also, i see on the history report that 8 quarts of oil were put into the car not 7 on the last oil change..........can i use this to have them replace the engine no matter what...i have the proof on the recipt that they used this amount of oil

·
Registered
104 Posts
they probably just charged you for 8 quarts since it uses like 7.5... They might have used a different weight of oil in a hotter climate, or they were just being dumb. I think theoretically higher weight oil robs you of some horsepower, since it's thicker and doesn't allow parts to move as freely.

I'm pretty sure 5w 30 is the standard for our cars.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gotta love an oil discussion:rofl:

Generally, the thicker oils are used in older engines and trucks (15w 50 or 50), I have an old 1997 Camaro with 170k miles that I use 15-50 in because I want to keep the oil pressure up and minimize heat breakdown for long commutes.

On my Porsche Turbo, I use 0w 40......and I would think a more modern BMW would use a 5w oil......but if you are at 100k miles you might stick with the thicker oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts