Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
.
Joined
·
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all bimmerians (E46ers). My first post here, and I desparately need your help! (OK, who doesn't?) I took the delivery of my manual 323Ci in March 2000 and I've been taking great care of it. I'm not an agressive driver at all. It only has 34K miles (yeah), but recently it's been making lots of weird noises like the followings... just wonder if anyone here has the same experience and tell me what the possible problem is? I'll schedule the next appointment with the dealer in March.

1. The wheels squeak as I make left/right turns at low speed

2. After the car has warmed up/driven for several miles and come to a stop (like waiting at traffic lights), I can hear very soft and consistent (every 3 seconds) soft-knocking noise. I can't hear it when the door's opened, but it's noticable with the doors closed, windows shut and audio off.

3. Again after the car is warmed up, I hear "chhh" sound as I step on the clutch.

4. As i accelerate and make 90-degree turn, I can hear "clicking" noise from the back. It's been addressed by the dealer once under warranty but it's coming back again. I love cars but I definitly lack the knowledge of car parts... I recall it's something related to suspension or joint...?

5. I can hear there's low "whistling sound" from the bottom of the car as I lightly step on the gas while driving at any speed. I always change gears around 3000rpm, so I always notice that sound as I'm cruising between 1500-3000 rpm.

So my car's turning 6 in 2 months, but with all this little stuff it's hard to enjoy it. Any responses are greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Possible sources:
(1) Control arm bushings need replacement (very likely)
(1) Wheel bearings need replacement (somewhat likely)
(2) Exhaust manifold heat shield may be loose. It's the flat aluminum gasket-like material that protects the spark plug wires from the exhaust manifold heat. It sometimes becomes loose.
(2) & (3) Clutch may need adustment and or bearing replacment (Need more infor)
(4) I would investigate rear frame mount cracking (unlikely but mentioned here several times)
(5) fuel line vent valve may need replacement. (very likely)

Try those first
 

·
Donkeybike?
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Griffoun said:
It only has 34K miles (yeah), but recently it's been making lots of weird noises...
Just because the car only has 34k doesn't actually mean that low mileage is a good thing, especially for a car almost 6 years old. Low mileage doesn't exclude the car from the effects of time.

I would go through the list that Dave mentioned.
 

·
.
Joined
·
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SergioK said:
Just because the car only has 34k doesn't actually mean that low mileage is a good thing, especially for a car almost 6 years old. Low mileage doesn't exclude the car from the effects of time.

I would go through the list that Dave mentioned.
I agree... my wife (gf 6 yrs ago) love the car as well, in fact it's her idea to go with coupe and the Topaz Blue color. In the first year we put only 3K on it and 5K the second year. We carpooled to work and we used to have a Mazda Protege and that's the car that we drove most of the time... I really wanted to drive the Bimmer but she's afraid of dings and dents.
 

·
.
Joined
·
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaveH said:
Possible sources:
(1) Control arm bushings need replacement (very likely)
(1) Wheel bearings need replacement (somewhat likely)
(2) Exhaust manifold heat shield may be loose. It's the flat aluminum gasket-like material that protects the spark plug wires from the exhaust manifold heat. It sometimes becomes loose.
(2) & (3) Clutch may need adustment and or bearing replacment (Need more infor)
(4) I would investigate rear frame mount cracking (unlikely but mentioned here several times)
(5) fuel line vent valve may need replacement. (very likely)

Try those first
Thanks for your response Dave... man, I think the next service is going to be pretty darn expensive. What kind of info do you need to know regarding the clutch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Griffoun said:
Thanks for your response Dave... man, I think the next service is going to be pretty darn expensive. What kind of info do you need to know regarding the clutch?
Does the knock go away when you place your foot lightly on the pedal? When you fully depress the clutch?

Can you hear the 3-second knock in the engine compartment near the front belt area? Is it present under the engine in any specific area?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top