BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few things you should know before we keep going:

1) My car has the CIC iDrive system.
2) My car does NOT have the USB port in the console.
3) My car has the business CD head unit.
4) My car has factory aux input.

Onto the goods!

I've shopped around for different options to add Bluetooth audio and phone calls and, so far, my choices are limited. I can get a Denison 500S BT (over $600), change the head unit out to an Android or aftermarket unit ($450), and I've found some little gadget on eBay that says it does the same thing, but I don't rightly know how, considering it's only $20.

Link to eBay item: Bluetooth AUX Music Audio Cable Adapter for BMW E60 E63 E64 E66 E82 E90 E91 | eBay

I found one thread on what seems to be a similar device (click here to see it) If I could get away with spending $20 and getting Bluetooth audio and calls, I'm all about it. I was wondering if anyone else had some experience with this thing.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

From what I can gather, this device essentially hijacks the aux signal, allowing Bluetooth and calls to be made over the aux input mode. I've talked to one other person who has something similar (but paid $200 for his) and said his steering wheel controls work with the calls. If less than $20 is all it takes, then consider me sold.

I will report back after I get it installed, which may be a month or two, considering it is shipping from China.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
eBay Bluetooth Streaming Box DIY and Reveiw
the above is essentialy a Dension clone for under 200 bucks.

The above gives you USB , SD card , another aux, Bluetooth phone and streaming
and it's cheap.

Also it's direct to the Most Bus so no degradation due to multiple analog to digital conversions.

The CiC and that thing you call a business Cd are part of the the same thing they are all the
CIC . If you already have a Nav/idrive that lower portion is the brains of the CIC idrive and cannot be removed without removing the idrive. All of the android units I know about piggyback
of that lower unit via the aux.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
There is one that is slightly cheaper without and sd card slot I believe.

apparently you are not understanding this . This is what it adds .
Just like a Denison.
If you want you can extend the sockets with a cable.
You need to enable the cdc function on the idrive to use this.

There are lots of cheap bluetooth adapters that plug into the aux.

go here AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software - E90Post - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum
type bluetooth in the search box a lot of stuff will come up.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The device you linked on Amazon seems like it works in a similar fashion as the one I found on eBay, except the one I found piggybacks on the aux signal rather than the CD changer signal. I'm pretty certain the one I bought allows for steering wheel controls to be used, but we shall see. If not, I won't be that upset over it. I will at least have Bluetooth audio and calls, though!

For my trip I'm taking this week, I'm probably going to buy one of those aux Bluetooth adapters (like this thing) to get me by until the real adapter comes in.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
The device does not piggyback on the CD signal . It's added to the Most Bus and uses the control signals that are part of the car for the CD to control the device. This way you get
basic controls at the steering wheel button and no double digital to analog to digital conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts