1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos of my Oct '09 BMW 128i Coupe ED:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colinkloh/sets/72157622583499821/show/

A few random thoughts to share:

1) Really really fun experience. This was not only my first BMW and first ED, but it was also my first visit to continental Europe. Really hope I can do this again soon!

2) European towns were built in pre-car days when people walked or rode horses, and most roads weren't built for even a horse-drawn carriage. My 1-series coupe barely made it through some junctions and garages without scratching the side. If driving anything bigger than a 3-series, I suggest parking outside the old town areas and walking inside. Cobblestone streets are best enjoyed on foot anyway, and sometimes I feel that cars are an unsightly and undeserved intrusion in those areas.

3) MUST DO: Go to this place called Klosterschenke Weltenburg, an old monastery near Regensburg. But don't drive directly there - drive to a point west across the river from it. (Here's the map.) Then take the "ferry" - which is just a few planks of wood tied together to form a raft slightly bigger than your car. (It's safe... I think.) A man will steer the raft to the other side for a few Euros. My biggest regret is not planting a photographer on the other bank before doing this - the picture of a brand new BMW riding precariously on a wooden boat across the Danube would have been priceless! Then, go to the monastery's beer garden and enjoy their "gold award" dark beer.

And finally, a shout-out to bimmerfest and all the people here for helping me with this adventure of mine - from initial car shopping to negotiation to planning and hopefully, helping me deal with my redelivery wait time torture.

Attached is a sample picture from my set.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some really fine brochure shots of the 128, nice job! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Congratulation!
Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well...I'm not sure about this. Everything seemed perfect until I found the photo of the cute little piglets staring at me, asking "do you really want to eat das Spanferkel?".

Attachments

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Nice change of pace photographing your car in town. Congrats.

·
Driving Enthusiast
435 Posts
Wonderful photos. Some were truly brochure quality. Congrats on your new 1. Nice car. :thumbup:

P.S. What camera brand/model were you using?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments.

My wife took many of the shots - she was once an avid photography hobbyist, as was I. We used her Nikon D70. This trip allowed her to revive an old hobby as well as revisit her memories as a backpacker through Europe. That's the reason why she was willing to take the trouble to jump out of the car and snap away at me while I drove around in circles. Considering that she's not a car fan at all, and BMW has a negative image effect on her, it's therefore really funny that she'd go around zooming into the car's BMW badge and all and actually enjoy doing it.

I think we have a problem with the autofocus on the camera, which would account for the lack of sharpness in some of them and caused us to abandon a lot of other shots that we took, but other than that we both tried to pay attention to some simple composition guidelines. I'm glad some shots came out really well.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I think we have a problem with the autofocus on the camera, which would account for the lack of sharpness in some of them and caused us to abandon a lot of other shots that we took
Thank you for your report, and interesting pictures.

Perhaps you are experiencing the D70 back-focus issue? I think I've had it on the D70 and had to send the camera back to Nikon for calibration. Not sure how familiar you are with this issue, but there is a JPG online that you print, then set up at 45 degrees and photograph, which is the "evidence" Nikons needs to authorize the repair (in my case it was done under warranty, but perhaps they carry out some goodwill repairs past warranty too).

Either way, didn't seem to keep you or your wife from coming up with some pretty nice shots. :thumbup:

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
You must have stayed busy between Beers polishing the car.:angel:

Nice photos and congratulations.

Cheers

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts

·
Registered
6,033 Posts