BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi This is our first European Delivery and we are married in our 30's and are looking for an excellent experience with a mix of sightseeing and adventure. Our itinerary is listed below if we can get suggestions on hotels, things to see in each city and allotment of time in each city that would be greatly appreciated.

July 6th Fly out of Newark
July 7th Arrive in Munich 10 AM Local time
July 7th-10th Muncih- Would like to stay in a hotel close to public transport as we are not picking our car up till July 10th. Would also like to do walking tours, Dacau and Beer gardens. If we can get suggestions for hotels and also restaurants that are vegetarian friendly that would be great!
July 10th- Picking up car Would like to tour the Welt and also the other plant where they make the cars( don't know the name)
July 10th travel to Lucerne: Here is where we need help in term of good affordable hotels with parking, also need some good advice on what to see here
July 11th-12th Lucerne
July 12th Leave Lucerne and arrive in Interlaken: Once again need advice on hotels, some adventure tours ie white water rafting, hiking etc
July 13th Leave for Geneva (or flexible if people have suggestions for other cities close by
July 15th Flying out of Zurich

As you can see we do need some good advice as the time is nearing. If people can suggest good hotels(with safe parking) and restaurants that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

·
CarSwami
806 Posts
When I did ED last year, I was accompanied by my Mom and two sisters (it was a family vacation after 27 years!). My Mom and elder sister are vegetarians, and they were worried that they would go hungry in a land famous for its meat and potatoes! But we were all pleasantly surprised that we had very little trouble finding vegetarian food in Germany and Austria. We easily found supermarkets/grocery stores in each city and we were able to create wonderful picnic lunches for ourselves each day (salads, bread, cheese, yoghurt, juice, fruit, chocolate, etc), and we invariably found a restaurant in each city where we could get a vegetarian dinner. Indian restaurnts generally have decent vegetarian food and I was surprised how many Indian restaurants we found during our travels in Germany and Austria. Some of the outdoor beer gardens will even allow you to bring a picnic meal (purchased elsewhere) to eat while you enjoy a couple of beers! We also found excellent pizza everywhere we went.

Our experience suggested that it is much easier to find good vegetarian food in continental Europe now than it was 25-30 years ago when my family first went there.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Any reason why you picked Geneva, Luzern & Zürich as your destinations? All 3 are boring business centers, Geneva & Zurich especially.

I would skip all 3 & see more countryside. That's kinda the point of ED, right? To easily get to places where you'd normally have to take trains & other inconvenient methods of transport.

But if you insist on these 3, hotels in France would probably be cheaper than those in Geneva. Something in Divonne-les-Bains perhaps? I stayed in Le Chateau De Divonne when I was in Geneva on business 2 yrs ago. Dirt cheap in the summer, uber expensive in the winter. It's about 15min away from Geneva city center, in a very picturesque town/area. It's in France. Not sure what to see in Geneva, really. A side trip to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc would be real nice, you can take a cog wheel train to see the Mont Blanc itself.

Luzern is kinda blah also. Nothing of note there. Brunnen seemed much better (on the other side of the lake).

Zürich.. pfft. Nice restaurants but the prices will make your eyes pop out their sockets and then it'll be quite a challenge driving around blind.

Overall, you've picked cities where people go to conduct business & make deals, not where they go sightseeing.

Interlaken is awesome.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Any reason why you picked Geneva, Luzern & Zürich as your destinations? All 3 are boring business centers, Geneva & Zurich especially.

I would skip all 3 & see more countryside. That's kinda the point of ED, right? To easily get to places where you'd normally have to take trains & other inconvenient methods of transport.

But if you insist on these 3, hotels in France would probably be cheaper than those in Geneva. Something in Divonne-les-Bains perhaps? I stayed in Le Chateau De Divonne when I was in Geneva on business 2 yrs ago. Dirt cheap in the summer, uber expensive in the winter. It's about 15min away from Geneva city center, in a very picturesque town/area. It's in France. Not sure what to see in Geneva, really. A side trip to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc would be real nice, you can take a cog wheel train to see the Mont Blanc itself.

Luzern is kinda blah also. Nothing of note there. Brunnen seemed much better (on the other side of the lake).

Zürich.. pfft. Nice restaurants but the prices will make your eyes pop out their sockets and then it'll be quite a challenge driving around blind.

Overall, you've picked cities where people go to conduct business & make deals, not where they go sightseeing.

Interlaken is awesome.
This is a good intro to the differences in opinions you'll see here. I like Swiss cities, but they are expensive (!). I found the tour at the League of Nations complex in Geneva fascinating. Possibly the most interesting of the three is Luzern/Lucerne. It has both a Picasso and a modern art museum, a transport museum, and a great boat rides on the lake, some to cutesy villages, aerial tramways, etc.

Lausanne is also an interesting place to visit. There is a cog tramway to the upper town, and the Olympics Museum near lake level.

Finally, as I have gotten older, I appreciate the efficiency and the really clean bathrooms. :angel:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Itinerary Overhaul

After reading some of the posts I think I need a total itinerary overhaul. There are certain things that I cannot change. So far these are set in stone, but with everyone's help (I really need it) we can still salvage my itinerary.
1. July 6th- Fly out of EWR
2. July 7th Arrive in Munich
3. July 10th Pick up car: Welt
4. July 14 Fly out of Zurich

So here are the places we'd like to see if people can develop a nice itinerary that would be greatly appreciated.
1. Would like to see Dacau
2. Also would like to go to Interlaken

I would like to enjoy my car, have great drives and at the same time see places that I would never see again and have the ultimate experience. We are young and open minded. If people have some good suggestions (including hotels) that would be helpful!!!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
1. July 6th- Fly out of EWR
2. July 7th Arrive in Munich
July 8th Mike´s Bike Tour of Munich
July 9th Dachau
3. July 10th Pick up car: Welt
July 11th Drive to Lindau; enjoy Lindau
July 12th Drive to Interlaken
July 13th Drive to Zürich
4. July 14 Fly out of Zurich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Pramodpa, I agree with JSpira above. We just came back from our first ES experience as well. In Switzerland we went to Lauterbrunnen [14 kms from Interlaken] via Lucern [we just stopped over for a few hours for sightseeing and coffee]. We stayed at Hotel Staubbach in Lauterbrunnen one night and stayed at Moutain Hostel in Gimmelwald one night. Gimmelwald is a small village that you go to via cable car from Stechelberg. It's a beautiful little village with great moutain hikes if that is something that interests you. We then stopped over in Interlaken for a few hours for food on our way to Lake Como, Italy. Even though vegetarian food is not a problem especially in Interlaken, I would recommend taking some packed food from here for emergencies. PM me if you want more details.

All the best.

Vishal

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
More ideas:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...,9.832764&sspn=4.300216,12.041016&ie=UTF8&z=7

Munich
Dachau
Fussen
St Moritz
Brunnen
Interlaken
Zurich

Interlaken->Zurich drive is kinda less than elegant as you have to doubleback to Zurich. Much better to keep going south-west thru Lausanne and onto Geneva, with a Geneva drop-off. If you can still do that.

Another thing I want to add is that your timeframes are tight. You really want to nail down the destinations by the end of this week so you can start booking hotels. Otherwise you'll need a 2nd mortgage to finance this...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Updated Itinerary

July 6th: Fly out of EWR
July 7th: Arrive in Munich
July 8th: Mike***8217;s Bike Tour of Munich
July 9th Dacau (Need train suggestions since I don***8217;t have a car or the other option is to plan something else for this day pick up car in am at welt tour welt and then drive to Dacau on the 10th)
July 10th Pick up car at Welt, Tour the Welt, Drive to Lake Como at night
July 11th: Lake Como At night Drive from Lake Como to Interlaken
July 12th Spend Day in Interlaken. Drive from Interlaken to Lausanne
July 13th: Lausanne
July 14th : Drop car off in Geneva
July 15th Fly out of Geneva (seems like this is better option than Zurich in that I am able to see Lausanne

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Munich,+Germany&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

The distance between Lausanne to Geneva is not far so do u think its better to spend 2 days in Interlaken or Lausanne and then wake up in the morning and drop off car in Geneva spend day in Geneva and then fly out the next morning.

Also would need suggestions for hotels in each of the above listed towns.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
July 6th: Fly out of EWR
July 7th: Arrive in Munich
July 8th: Mike's Bike Tour of Munich
July 9th Dacau (Need train suggestions since I don't have a car or the other option is to plan something else for this day pick up car in am at welt tour welt and then drive to Dacau on the 10th)
July 10th Pick up car at Welt, Tour the Welt, Drive to Lake Como at night
July 11th: Lake Como At night Drive from Lake Como to Interlaken
July 12th Spend Day in Interlaken. Drive from Interlaken to Lausanne
July 13th: Lausanne
July 14th : Drop car off in Geneva
July 15th Fly out of Geneva (seems like this is better option than Zurich in that I am able to see Lausanne

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Munich,+Germany&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

The distance between Lausanne to Geneva is not far so do u think its better to spend 2 days in Interlaken or Lausanne and then wake up in the morning and drop off car in Geneva spend day in Geneva and then fly out the next morning.

Also would need suggestions for hotels in each of the above listed towns.

your google link is of Munchen only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Accomodations in Lucerne try Hotel Des Alpes right on the River Reuss within 30 yards of the wooden footbridge. Rooms from about 210 CHF but the continental breakfast just above the river is to die for.
In Interlaken, try Hotel Rossli in Unterseen. Decent room with balcony and nice view of the Jungfrau for 160 CHF. Run by a very helpful and pleasant family. Christopher especially went out of his way to make our stay pleasant. If weather is nice take the train to the Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Ost railway station. A bit pricey but the wife and I enjoyed the ride even though the weather didin't cooperate with a view once we arrived at the top.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Add Fussen

Ok another change in plan. I was able to get Munich return to Newark on July 15th. So wanted to go as far as Interlaken in Switzerland and then return back to Munich. Can people suggest a good route to incorporate these cities:

Lucern
Interlaken
Lindau (or Fussen)
Lake Como
And then return back to Munich for car return.

Thanks!!!! Sorry for all the changes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts