BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lets Go....Mountaineers!!
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be long, so I apologize. Well, first off, I forgot my camera cable so I could not make the 12 hr rule, but I'm hoping the Bimmerfest community might be feeling nice and spare me and my car. Secondly, I would like to thank Beewang for the Nav Disk, could of never had such a great time without it, and to everyone else here for all their help. :)

May 8th - Took a flight from PIT to BOS, then had a 3 hr wait till our next flight, and left BOS at 8 pm with Lufthansa to head to Munich.

May 9th - Arrived in Munich at 9.15 am, and was picked up by Rolf. Would def recommend to anyone else. Never went through customs at the Munich airport, just passport control, thought that was strange. Ever happen to anyone else? Got to the hotel around 11 (Four Points Sheraton - Olympiapark) and check in. After that, Immediately headed to the Welt to see if we could get a factory tour for the afternoon. Checked into the Premium Lounge and did some initial paperwork, and got the 1.30 pm factory tour. Ate some lunch real quick and toured the Welt. Factory tour was very nice, highly recommended. When the tour was over, we went and looked at the motorcycles in the Welt, and watched them bring my car up to the platform that evening. Made me even more anxious, if that was possible. After that, went back to the hotel to rest and recover from not getting much sleep of the flight over, and to get ready for delivery in the morning.

May 10th - Day of delivery. Woke up early and couldnt sleep, was too excited. Couldn't believe the time had finally came. Ate bfast at the hotel, and walked around Olmypic Park. Walked up to the top of a hill with a real nice view of Munich and the BMW Welt/Tower/Factory, would recommend to anyone. Headed over to the Welt for delivery and checked in early, and ended up getting the car an hour early. Did 1 1/2 'victory' laps to savour the moment, and finally left to head to Dachua Concentration Camp. Dachua was one of our favorite places to visit for the whole week, I think it is a must for any history buff. Spent a few hours then, and took the car for a joy ride through German towns knowing we had the navigation to get us back to the hotel.

May 11th - Woke up early and headed down to the Eagles Nest. Took highways most of the way, and then exited off to experience some spirited driving through some back roads. The Eagles Nest was very nice, the bus ride up was scary, and there was about 8 ft of snow still left on the top. I couldn't believe people were walking up to the cross over the snow knowing that if they slipped down the hill, they were gone. After a quick lunch, headed over to Fussen to see the castles. Neuschwanstein castle was very nice, but it was getting dark and we didnt have time to walk up to the waterfall above the castle. Headed back around dark and experienced the adaptive headlights in the backroads - loved them.

May 12th - Checked out of our hotel in Munich and headed to Berlin. Kinda wished we would of stayed in Munich for a night or two more to experience more. Got to Berlin around 4pm and checked into our hotel (Holiday Inn Express). Parking was underground and very secure, and the rooms were only 59Euro/night. Walked around Berlin for a few hours until dark and ate dinner in Potsdamer Plaza and drank a few beers (didnt get dark until around 930/10).

May 13th - Woke up early and ate bfast at the hotel, and then headed out into Berlin on foot. Felt like we walked about 20 miles that day, but we got to see a lot of sites. Found a small Italian restaurant by our hotel that was very nice and ate, and then retired off to bed to rest up.

May 14th - Drove to Frankfurt, arriving at our hotel in Mohrfelden around 4pm. Drove around the area to experience the sites, and found some quick dinner. We were still really tired from walking around Berlin the day before, and decided to rest up.

May 15th - Drove down to Heidelberg and visited the castle. A must see if you are in the area. Took the incline up to the castle and walked around the inside. Figured we would drop the car off this afternoon, so we headed back up to the drop off location. Paperwork went smoothly and fast, and took a taxi back to the hotel. It was hard to believe it was almost over.

May 16th - Got to the airport early in Frankfurt for our flight back to PIT with a connecting flight in Washington-Dulles through United. Boarded the plane for a 12.20pm departure on time, and waited on the plane at the terminal for another hour without moving. Finally took off a hour late, and made it to Dulles with 40min between our connecting flights. Went to customer service after we went through passport control and got our bags (about 25 minutes till our connecting flight) and told them we were not going to make our next flight, and the girl told us we would, and to re-check-in our baggage and hurry. We believed her (bad mistake) and went through, only to miss our flight by about 5 minutes. Next flight out to PIT wasnt until the next afternoon, and we figured we would just rent a car and drive up (about a 4 hr drive). Got our luggage released from storage to take on the rental car, and waited 2 1/2-3 hrs for it to come to baggage claim - never came. United guy told us he would ship luggage on the next flight to PIT that night and we could pick it up at the airport when we arrived to drop off the car - never came. Girl from United told us it would be there the next morning on the next flight arriving from Dulles - never came. Drove the rest of the way home (about 2 hrs) waiting for them to ship luggage to me.

Overall, it was a great trip, except for the end part with United messing up our stuff. Should of never tried to get on to connecting flight, but we just were anxious to get home. I hope they didnt lose our luggage. My front license plate is in that luggage, along with the warning triangle and first aid kid, not to mention a lot of my clothes.

Max Speed = 144 mph
Miles put on = 1306

Picture 1: Me and my new car
Picture 2: Judith giving me the key
Picture 3: Me, my car, and Neuschwanstein castle
Picture 4: About 143 mph on the Autobahn
Picture 5: Overhead shot of ben1233 taking delivery - I think (Alpine White Coupe)

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Welcome back. Nice report.

I'm sure that the Committee has nice days and not so nice days but there's no telling their mood (so I've heard).

More photos might help here.

One thing: there is no way you didn't go through customs after immigration and getting your luggage.

·
All Wheel Drive = Heaven
341 Posts
LOL - 7.9mpg at 143mph...not bad! Great report!

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Nice report - thanks for sharing. But Jonathan is right... You need to post more pictures to have your 12-hour rule infraction forgiven :D

·
Lets Go....Mountaineers!!
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing: there is no way you didn't go through customs after immigration and getting your luggage.
Well I guess you are right in that we did go through customs, we just never saw anyone or talked to anyone. We got our passports stamped, pickup up our checked baggage, and walked out the doors to meet Rolf. I expected there to be more.

how was parking in the sheraton ?
Parking in the Sheraton was good. It was free, and there were two levels. One outside and one covered. Lots of other BMW's and Porsche's parked around also.

Well, there is good news, United found my luggage, and it should be delivered here tomorrow, so I will have my front license plate, warning triangle, and FA kit. And to keep the community happy, here are more pictures. :)

Picture 1: Self Explanitory :)
Picture 2: Me in front of the Welt
Picture 3: Me and the Berlin Wall
Picture 4: Car against the Alps
Picture 5: Again
Picture 6: Me on top the Eagles Nest

And a video of my 1 1/2 'victory' laps should help out my cause as well. Here is the link:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Picture 1: Self Explanitory :)
Picture 2: Me in front of the Welt
Picture 3: Me and the Berlin Wall
Picture 4: Car against the Alps
Picture 5: Again
Picture 6: Me on top the Eagles Nest
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
This is going to be long, so I apologize. Well, first off, I forgot my camera cable so I could not make the 12 hr rule, but I'm hoping the Bimmerfest community might be feeling nice and spare me and my car....
If I had a vote, it would be to let you keep the car for one major reason:

You really have your priorities right--United loses your luggage, and you are worried about the front license plate (and maybe some clothes too). :thumbup:

Welcome back, It certainly looks like a great trip!

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Nice report. I agree with your priorities on your misplaced luggage but one can also get a pseudo replacement from Bavarian Autosport. http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Based on your updated report and additional photos, I suspect you will be allowed to keep your car but who knows what happens in the Committee Star Chamber.:dunno:

Cheers

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Assuming a plural committee, the added pictures and video work for me. "Ego te Absolvo."

Glad the luggage is on its way. :)

·
CarSwami
806 Posts
Nice story about your ED trip. I'm glad that the story has a happy ending with United finding your luggage and Zoll plate!

Congratulations and welcome bac.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for taking and posting the video! Nicely done - felt like I was riding in the car with you! :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I did even better - 9.4mph at 148mph!!
If the "current mpg" meter works like my current car, you can push your speed up to whatever you want, say 150 mph, then take your foot off the accelerator, and with no gas going into the engine, your "mpg" jumps through the roof. You can probably get 50 mpg at 140 mph long enough to take a picture.

(I'm not suggesting anyone did this, just commenting on how it's possible if the new cars work like the old ones.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts