BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I used to have a Mercedes R350 and the same thing happened on the steering wheel. Buttons fading. It's crazy to think after all these years BMW couldn't figure this out. Anyway, here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with.

I've already ordered the 12 button HVAC buttons from Amazon

Also purchasing the Parking Brake Button (long feet as mine is a 2012) from Amazon.

I'm also looking to purchase the trunk release button from ebay as well as the parking brake button.

Decided to go ahead a purchase an Idrive Button that fits over the stock button. Larger and looks very OEM, from ebay.

Not pictured is a start/stop button which I replaced early on. The original was also faded.

The Park button located on the SAT shifter seems tougher to locate, though one is available on Amazon, but in red. Prefer not to wait for the ones you can get from China.

And lastly, one of the side buttons (option) on the Idrive controller is starting to fade too, but I really don't want to put a cover over it which seems to be the solution for that issue and I'm not looking to replace the entire Idrive controller as a unit, either.

What have you guys done to solve this? I've heard some use decals, but I know my skills combined with my level of OCD won't let me be satisfied with the work once I place those decals on. So for me, it's replace what I can replace.

Will post an after on all the pictures below. Hopefully this helps anyone else that may be considering purchasing all these buttons. The total for me is right around $100.

Attachments

Reactions: jaye944

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,287 Posts
What are you doing to all these buttons? Not sure this is a common occurrence. Known issue with heavy use of hand lotions, suntan lotion. I mean, even the Park button? Is your leather steering wheel also all shiny?

Reactions: HotGrbg

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wish I could have been responsible for this damage, seriously but this was done by the previous owner, unfortunately. Likely they used hand lotion, etc. I do not. As evidenced by the multitude of options on ebay and amazon, and here, it's more common than you think. Anyway, to answer your question about the steering wheel. Yes, it was quite shiny and dirty and unfortunately the dye has also managed to fade a bit towards the top. I've since corrected this issue, but I have to keep telling myself I did just purchase a 9 year old car.

The running total to repair all these faded buttons is only $100, so far.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,287 Posts
I wish I could have been responsible for this damage, seriously but this was done by the previous owner, unfortunately. Likely they used hand lotion, etc. I do not. As evidenced by the multitude of options on ebay and amazon, and here, it's more common than you think. Anyway, to answer your question about the steering wheel. Yes, it was quite shiny and dirty and unfortunately the dye has also managed to fade a bit towards the top. I've since corrected this issue, but I have to keep telling myself I did just purchase a 9 year old car.

The running total to repair all these faded buttons is only $100, so far.
Ok good luck, that doesn't sound so steep a cost if it solves the problem.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,288 Posts
Confirm it’s certain Hand Lotions, we see it here in Europe as well, also on the Door Handle and of course Steering Wheel although real leather holds up a bit longer than the plastics or as a used car salesman would say REAL imitation Leather.

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
Since the car has the auto IHKA systems…using AUTO mode will help in the future with not having faded buttons on the IHKA. Using the AUTO feature…I rarely have to touch any of the buttons on the IHKA. Only when very specific conditions occur do I have to change any settings or fan speed.

Set the temp that is most comfortable to you for the season, and select the fan speed intensity that you can live with (those that hate to hear the blower can select the lowest intensity…those that don’t care if they can hear the blower can select the highest (or higher) fan speed intensity. If for some reason you become cold or too hot for the AUTO settings…you can temper the air warmer or cooler using the stratified air temp dials on the center dash vent.…still NEVER EVER having to touch any of the buttons on the IHKA control panel. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,287 Posts
Since the car has the auto IHKA systems…using AUTO mode will help in the future with not having faded buttons on the IHKA. Using the AUTO feature…I rarely have to touch any of the buttons on the IHKA. Only when very specific conditions occur do I have to change any settings or fan speed.

Set the temp that is most comfortable to you for the season, and select the fan speed intensity that you can live with (those that hate to hear the blower can select the lowest intensity…those that don’t care if they can hear the blower can select the highest (or higher) fan speed intensity. If for some reason you become cold or too hot for the AUTO settings…you can temper the air warmer or cooler using the stratified air temp dials on the center dash vent.…still NEVER EVER having to touch any of the buttons on the IHKA control panel. :)
Agree 100%. However, some people refuse to listen (not the OP, just in general). I sold my previous 535i to a good friend. I wince every time I get in his car after he and his wife have fiddled with the HVAC -- controls and displays all over the place. Oh well...

In the earlier days of auto HVAC, there were very limited overrides, a couple of fan speed choices and defrost override. In a way that made it "better".

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confirm it’s certain Hand Lotions, we see it here in Europe as well, also on the Door Handle and of course Steering Wheel although real leather holds up a bit longer than the plastics or as a used car salesman would say REAL imitation Leather.
Funny you should mention door handles because this car had that issue too. So far, I've replaced the driver door inner handle and front passenger door inner handle. You can see from the pictures what a melted hot mess that 'soft touch' plastic can be over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And lastly one more for good measure. Interestingly enough, yet another BMW malady that has plagued my E46's and E39's of the past too. The windshield cowl on this one was really deteriorated down to brittle bits as you can see from the picture.

Thankfully, I scored this new piece from a local craigslist sale. The person threw it in along with a set of new floormats (which I did need) OEM BMW for the F10.

Attachments

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,644 Posts
yeah that's really annoying had that on my 2012 1er, had it from 22k to 150k, around 3 years in, the rear boot release and the stop start button went like that,

why, CHEAP PARTS, they dont make them like they used to, you expect that on cars doing 200+km or 10-15+ years even then non,
ALL newer brands use some kinda shitty silk screen process,

really bad, feel your pain

So, I used to have a Mercedes R350 and the same thing happened on the steering wheel. Buttons fading. It's crazy to think after all these years BMW couldn't figure this out. Anyway, here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts