BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on the big drive from South Florida to Orlando (a stop until I get to Gainesville tomorrow), I noticed that my car ('99 M Coupe) was making a strange truck-like sound upon acceleration. Undaunted (especially because it's nighttime and I was about an hour away from O'Town) I continued on.

As I got into the city, the sound was more pronounced, especially after 3000 rpms. Long story short, I got to my friends house, popped the hood, gave it gas, and sure enough it is the clutch in the fan... the fan spins with engine RPM.

This is the dilemma. I'm 250 miles away from home, 130 miles from Gainesville, and I'm entertaining the thought of getting the fan replaced locally here in Orlando (where I've had service before). But should I not be able to get a rental car...

Would it be safe to drive for the rest of the weekend? I keep about 4000 rpms on the interstate, so that's a little high for a fan to spin, but (hypothetically) if I need to, would it be okay? The only reason why I'm conerned is because Vista in South Florida is the best service, and I always get a car.

And the funny part is, when I brought my car in for service a few thousand miles ago, I told them that I thought the clutch in the fan was going bad. They disagreed, but found that the Vanos controller was bad (and replaced it).

So, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
well im sure im wrong but i thought the fan clutch when ingaged was supposed to turn with the engine rpm's,
when not needed it kinda free wheels and just turns lightly and when the fluid inside it senses its to warm it flows and creates a binding on the fan so it spins with force ,
but better chance that im wrong then right sorry if im no help

1 - 2 of 2 Posts