Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered yesterday that my battery was six years old and decided to replace it. Went to several sites and decided to buy locally from Advance Auto. List price $197 for 900 CCA battery and then 25% off.

First, remove the old battery. Easy to disconnect pos and neg leads using 10mm socket. Bracket also easy to remove with 10mm socket. Grabbed battery handles and pulled. Absolutely no movement. Looked into compartment and noticed a clamp that saddled onto one end of the battery. So I had to get a long extension (trip to local hardware store) and a 13mm socket. Loosened the bracket and wiggled the battery out. It weighs about 55 lbs, so this took some effort. Got new battery and noticed that there was a bracket on the opposite end of the battery from the clamp. Battery had to fit into that. Sounds easy, except the battery weighs a ton and goes in at an angle. So I wrestled that into place and after two tries got it into place and clamp tightened down. Connected neg and pos leads and replaced bracket. All done! Now to register the battery. This whole process took about 2-3 hours, but I don't consider myself a real handy guy.

I used the Carly app. It took less than ten minutes. The replacement battery had the same cranking power. Started car and headed back to Advance Auto to return the old battery and get back the core charge. Started car and drove and got the warning light "chassis fault". Stopped car, turned off the engine and waited a minute or so. Started car, got no warning and completed my errand.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Started car and drove and got the warning light "chassis fault". Stopped car, turned off the engine and waited a minute or so. Started car, got no warning and completed my errand.
Had the exact same experience with a new battery. I suspect it was due to the battery being almost dead from sitting on the shelf - hooked it up to a trickle charger at home and it showed <10% IIRC.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd suggest charging the battery prior to installation. Kind of like cart before the horse thing. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well done. I used the Carly app to register the battery on my F25. Sam’s Club and Costco are also good places to shop for batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Apay Kapoy
947 Posts
Had the exact same experience with a new battery. I suspect it was due to the battery being almost dead from sitting on the shelf - hooked it up to a trickle charger at home and it showed <10% IIRC.
Great tip, thanks Chief!
My original battery will be 7 years old in few months which I CTEK recharged it last year, we'll see how long it lasts if I recharge it every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts