BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 M340i xDrive
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics here:
  1. The throttle and transmission mapping on the BMW is superior because of how linear the response is. The Audi is a lot more laggy and it took me a while to get used to driving it. It had an annoying lag in D mode that I never really fell in love with. In S mode it was nicely twitchy but that's not always fun in heavy traffic. Audi sadly hasn't been to bridge the gap between the two modes where BMW has. The BMW is extremely smooth to the point where it's dangerously deceptive on how fast you're going.
  2. Audi wins in the interior for me. Other than the subjective design language, there are more soft touch materials were your hands would normally touch.
  3. The 48v mild hybrid in the 2021 is a game changer for start and stop. I always turned it off in the S5 because of how abrupt it was. No issues in the M340i. Also they took away the button to turn it off but I don't miss it. All cars with start stop need to have a mild hybrid system. Anything less is criminal.
  4. The adaptive suspension is more comfortable in the Audi than in the BMW. I did get the Adaptive M Suspension option. Can't imagine going with the regular suspension, as it's supposed to be even firmer.

·
Registered
2021 M340i xDrive
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A note on speed that I shared on an Audi forum:

The M340i is deceptively fast. If you think that was an issue with the S4/S5, it's even more of an issue with the BMW.

But for very different reasons.

Because the Audi's feel so planted with how Quattro is tuned as well as the sound deadening and isolation, going 70mph around a curve feels like going 45mph.

BMW's xDrive is more rear biased and feels more playful on the backend. However the throttle and transmission mapping in every mode except Sports Plus is extremely linear and smooth for a high performance car. That means you can smoothly accelerate to 80+ mph without feeling like it unlike in the Audi which has more abrupt changes at each gear shift in sport mode. Don't get me wrong, the BMW also pushes you back in your seat, but you don't have to modulate your gas pedal inputs as much and it just keeps on pulling without the same level of feedback.

It's almost like the BMW is trying to replicate how you would accelerate in a manual car with smoother gas pedal inputs vs an auto where you can modulate the gas pedal in pulses a lot more to get the output you want. Hard to describe accurately.

Very risky for your ability to legally drive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beautiful car, congrats! Great color combination too.

Reactions: Slides

·
Vendor
52 Posts
Pics here:
  1. The throttle and transmission mapping on the BMW is superior because of how linear the response is. The Audi is a lot more laggy and it took me a while to get used to driving it. It had an annoying lag in D mode that I never really fell in love with. In S mode it was nicely twitchy but that's not always fun in heavy traffic. Audi sadly hasn't been to bridge the gap between the two modes where BMW has. The BMW is extremely smooth to the point where it's dangerously deceptive on how fast you're going.
  2. Audi wins in the interior for me. Other than the subjective design language, there are more soft touch materials were your hands would normally touch.
  3. The 48v mild hybrid in the 2021 is a game changer for start and stop. I always turned it off in the S5 because of how abrupt it was. No issues in the M340i. Also they took away the button to turn it off but I don't miss it. All cars with start stop need to have a mild hybrid system. Anything less is criminal.
  4. The adaptive suspension is more comfortable in the Audi than in the BMW. I did get the Adaptive M Suspension option. Can't imagine going with the regular suspension, as it's supposed to be even firmer.
Congratulations

·
****ie
27 Posts
Congrats.. you are right. But I hope yours isnt locked at 130 mph and doesnt come with H rated tires.

·
Registered
2021 M340i xDrive
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats.. you are right. But I hope yours isnt locked at 130 mph and doesnt come with H rated tires.
It does but I prefer that for the purpose of keeping my license. My S5 didn't have this limit. ;)

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,525 Posts
My S5 lease will be over in a few months. I get that throttle lag complain. However it disappears when you use Sport or Manual mode, which I always do unless on highways. I don't know about the G30, but my E90's was also so bad that I had a Powerbox installed (with it, you can tweak the throttle map).

I have not much bad to report about my S5 experience; I love it and it is a fun car to own. Now I am looking at what could be my next car, it won't be the same thing and it might be a M340i. I had two Bimmers before, the E46 was very reliable, the E90 horribly not (I know, it should be the contrary). However I enjoy an high quality cockpit and this my concern with the G20.... it is not like it was bad, but... Another possibility is a new gen C43 2022.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts