BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My First BMW

8659 Views 65 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  SD330i
I currently drive a 2008 Honda Accord EX with 54k miles on it. Ive been working for over a year and I found my car to be really boring, so I started looking around for a new car. Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ, Lexus IS 350, and BMW 335i. You can probably guess which one I got. I ordered mine last week and now its the painful 6-8 week wait.

2013 BMW 335i
Modern Trim (I majored in Aerospace Engineering and I MUST have the Turbine rims!)
Imperial Blue Metallic (Go Gators!)
Black Leather with Dark Oyster (No Orange stitching?)
Brushed Aluminum Trim
Dynamic Handling Package
Harman Kardon Surround Sound System

Comments? Criticisms?

I dont know if I should op in for the extended maintenance package for an extra $2.1k. Ive read around this forum and most people say its a gamble, so I wont get it. If only there is an extended regular warranty. I just hope this car lasts a long time.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Congratulations and welcome!

Criticisms? Why'd you wait so long?:D
Congratulations on the order. Not my choice of color preference, but that stuff is subjective anyway. Most people would stay away from the colors I like. The modern line has some weird interior things, but I think you've mostly avoided them by choosing a black interior with aluminum. :thumbup:

BMW does sell an extended warranty, but you can wait till you're at nearly 50K miles before you decide to get it. Likewise for the extended maintenance plan as well. You don't have to make that decision now. I got both of those on my current car when it had 49K miles. The only "insurance" decision you have to make now is for the wheels/tires. I have no experience with runflats, so I don't want to steer you one way or another on that.
I currently drive a 2008 Honda Accord EX with 54k miles on it. Ive been working for over a year and I found my car to be really boring, so I started looking around for a new car. Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ, Lexus IS 350, and BMW 335i. You can probably guess which one I got. I ordered mine last week and now its the painful 6-8 week wait.

2013 BMW 335i
Modern Trim (I majored in Aerospace Engineering and I MUST have the Turbine rims!)
Brushed Aluminum Trim
Dynamic Handling Package

Comments? Criticisms?

I dont know if I should op in for the extended maintenance package for an extra $2.1k. Ive read around this forum and most people say its a gamble, so I wont get it. If only there is an extended regular warranty. I just hope this car lasts a long time.
For a second there I thought I was reading my own post!! I also had a boring Accord EX-L, mine had very uncomfortable seats and tons of road noise. I purchased a 2011 335d clearwater blue, with all the options. :)
My Accord's seats are comfortable, not a lot of road noise (I dont think), and very reliable. My coworkers are warning about BMW's reliability.
I think the color is "blue water metallic" as opposed to clearwater blue.
For a second there I thought I was reading my own post!! I also had a boring Accord EX-L, mine had very uncomfortable seats and tons of road noise. I purchased a 2011 335d clearwater blue, with all the options. :)
I second what your coworkers say. Owning a BMW is akin to being a relationship...you never know when it's going to act up and need attention.
My Accord's seats are comfortable, not a lot of road noise (I dont think), and very reliable. My coworkers are warning about BMW's reliability.
EB II is closer to our beloved Gator blue than Imperial...
Id rather get a darker blue than a light
Owned 5 Honda cars/suvs and 3 BMWs. Your Honda Accord will definitely be more reliable and cost less to maintain than a BMW; should you keep the BMW past 50K miles or four years. BMWs do break and have more initial quality problems and long term repairs than a Honda. However, BMWs are much more fun to drive and the technology is much more advanced in my opinion. Honda has recently lost it's way in terms of building cars that meet the demand of USA drivers. They decided to de-content their vehicles to hold down retail price. Big mistake. Examples: 2012 Civic and 2010 Insight.... They both have very cheap plastic interiors that give you low end comfort. Welcome to BMW family. Enjoy your F30 it is a very nice car and a definite upgrade to an Accord...
Go Gators! :thumbup:

Good luck with your new car.
Id rather get a darker blue than a light
I hope you get your 335i in 6-8 weeks. I assume that your C/A told you this. The 335i's have been taking longer than the 328s, in some cases, much longer - just look through the forums. I can tell you from my own experience, I ordered in March and I am still waiting for my 335i, and I know I am not alone. While a 5 month+ wait might be an outlier, I think 2 months or less is probably a bit on the optimistic side for a 335. Hope I am wrong :dunno:

2013 BMW 335i
Brushed Aluminum Trim
Dynamic Handling Package

Comments? Criticisms?

Enjoy your new car. Be sure to join BMW CCA!
Congrats!

But you put Hyundai Genesis Coupe and 335i in the same sentence?!!

2013 BMW 335i
Congrats on your order OP! To get a better idea of how long your wait will be you should ask your CA where the car will be manufactured. If it's a South African build it's quite possible that just shipping will be more then 6-8 weeks. I waited 5 months for my 335 because it was built in SA.
My coworker also recommended that I change my oil every 7.5k miles versus the programmed 15k miles. Do you guys agree? Now I cant take advantage of the maintenance program.

I hope you get your 335i in 6-8 weeks. I assume that your C/A told you this. The 335i's have been taking longer than the 328s, in some cases, much longer - just look through the forums. I can tell you from my own experience, I ordered in March and I am still waiting for my 335i, and I know I am not alone. While a 5 month+ wait might be an outlier, I think 2 months or less is probably a bit on the optimistic side for a 335. Hope I am wrong :dunno:
I hope I get the car before my parents go out of country. They helped me buy this car and will cosign. I will be paying 100% of this car.

Congrats!

But you put Hyundai Genesis Coupe and 335i in the same sentence?!!
Sorry for the insult. I would be driving one if my Hyundai dealer gave me the price I wanted. Good thing they didnt.

Congrats on your order OP! To get a better idea of how long your wait will be you should ask your CA where the car will be manufactured. If it's a South African build it's quite possible that just shipping will be more then 6-8 weeks. I waited 5 months for my 335 because it was built in SA.
I requested that my 335i be assembled in Germany. I wonder if there is a way to confirm that.
Congrats! Don't get the extended maintenance unless you are given a major discount... you can still get it later. Also, you don't want to pay for something you may never use, on the off chance you end up hating the car or it's a lemon...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Once you get the VIN from your CA you should be able to figure out where it's being built. There should be a thread about that on this forum.
I requested that my 335i be assembled in Germany. I wonder if there is a way to confirm that.
How long does it take my car to begin production and when will the VIN be available?
Once you get the VIN from your CA you should be able to figure out where it's being built. There should be a thread about that on this forum.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.