BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning, I arrived at work and decided to back into a parking space like I normally do. I could see the vehicle behind me as I slowly crept backwards. Inch by inch I released my foot off the brake until I heard a thud! I get out and at first didn't even know what I hit until I saw the trailer hitch sticking out from the Nissan Titan! Then I looked at my bumper, UGH!!!! Well you probably can see from the pics that It actucally cracked the bumper but no damage to that darn trailer hitch! HAHA Of course, I contacted the local authorites to report the damage done and also my insurance company. I haven't taken it anywhere yet to get an estimate, does anyone have any ideas on how much it will be to either repair or replace my bumper? I'm hoping it won't take weeks to get this done, it's actually a little depressing, especially since this is my first ever accident in the 15 years I have been driving. Enjoy the pics, thanks guys! Look closely and you'll see how far he was over his space...hmmmmm I know, it's my fault either way for hitting a parked vehicle, but still!!! ;)

http://www.slide.com/s/YBKVokbJ1D8C3kEPjnsKURppuZLooVrb

http://www.slide.com/s/1kslm6kR1T-RtbIPJPmmXx36uQ7-Ovwx

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stupid truck and its trailer hitch. :mad:

I'm not sure about this, but to replace an entire bumper may be around $500. Don't quote me on it, but I think it's what I remember it cost my sister-in-law, and she only drives an Accord.

·
First Timer
766 Posts
Well, that stinks. It's certainly your fault, but I'm none too impressed with people buying a vehicle that won't fit somewhere (narrow road, small parking spots) and jamming it into their space AND yours, effectively forcing YOU to make the accommodation for their giant wallowing POS.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
got rear-ended yesterday. got an estimate for $1117.64 at one shop and $801 at another one
this is for replacing bumper cover, painting and installing it.
the shop that quoted $801 is pretty shady though, im not going there

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2004 325i was rear ended about 3 weeks after I got it (you can imagine my angst at the teenager who slammed into me). To replace the bumper cost 999 USD. New bumper, paint and install. Should give you an indication.
Perhaps less relevant but still close is my recent replacement of the front bumper on my E Class. Cost a bit over 1000 USD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, guess it sounds like no repair can be done, just replacement of the rear bumper entirely. Thanks, everyone, I'll be sure to post all costs when it gets completed!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stinks but why do you park backward. If you parked forward you would have seen the problem. never understood why people park backward. Its just asking for trouble and if you aren't driving th getaway car it serves no purpose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correction on my original post: I normally pull through the opposing parking space vs. backing up. I work at a place where everyone (300-400 employees) clocks out at the same time, so in order to avoid most of the traffic other pedestrians behind you it's makes it easier and more efficient to leave. We have one exit out. I wonder if back up sensors would have helped?!? :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is why I like PDC ... I can park real snug in the corner spot of a parking lot as far away as possible from other cars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That sucks. We've all been there, but with a new car its somehow worse. Just a couple of months after I got my 1995 Mercedes E300 Diesel some sunovabitch walked along the back of a line of cars at work, including mine and a number of my co-workers, and keyed every one of them across the back of the trunk or hatch! You could tell that he just had his key out in one hand and walked by for ten or so spaces keying every car. That was years ago and it still pisses me off.:mad:

I do have to ask, though, why did you call the police when it was your fault and the other guy wasn't damaged at all (when you said "authorities" I assume you meant the police).

Stinks but why do you park backward. If you parked forward you would have seen the problem. never understood why people park backward. Its just asking for trouble and if you aren't driving th getaway car it serves no purpose. :rolleyes:
I always park backwards at work. The reason is that the traffic in the parking lot busy when I leave so its a lot easier and safer to get out of the parking space. But I arrive before dawn which is so early that the parking lot is empty and its easy to back in. Most of the other early birds at work do the same.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
This is why I like PDC ... I can park real snug in the corner spot of a parking lot as far away as possible from other cars.
+1

PDC is much cheaper than my deductible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry that this happened to you...these kind of things stink!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That sucks. We've all been there, but with a new car its somehow worse. Just a couple of months after I got my 1995 Mercedes E300 Diesel some sunovabitch walked along the back of a line of cars at work, including mine and a number of my co-workers, and keyed every one of them across the back of the trunk or hatch! You could tell that he just had his key out in one hand and walked by for ten or so spaces keying every car. That was years ago and it still pisses me off.:mad:

I do have to ask, though, why did you call the police when it was your fault and the other guy wasn't damaged at all (when you said "authorities" I assume you meant the police).

I always park backwards at work. The reason is that the traffic in the parking lot busy when I leave so its a lot easier and safer to get out of the parking space. But I arrive before dawn which is so early that the parking lot is empty and its easy to back in. Most of the other early birds at work do the same.
Yes, it does make leaving a crowded parking lot easier right?! The reason I called is that I work on a military installation and I was afraid if I didn't report it and someone saw me hit his truck, I'd be in serious trouble of possibly losing my job.

Here's my estimate: Grand total of $756.84 and here's the break down of cost Parts: $ 359 Body Labor $ 84 Paint Labor $163.80 Paint Supplies $105.30 and of course with taxes and few other charges. I can't wait to get it fixed and hopefully I'll be more careful. Expensive lesson it was, I'm just glad it wasn't a little kid or someone's pet! Thanks, everyone for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts