BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way into work this morning, as I was pulling onto the highway, I noticed a new graphite/black SL500. I sped up to get a closer look of this car. Man is it nice! I can't believe how good this car looks up close. It is so sleek and nicely contoured. I didn't realize how low to the ground it is. The top was up and it looks like any other coupe on the road. I wish it was a little warmer so I could've seen the car with the top down.

The guy driving it was no older than 40. As I passed him I gave him a nod and drove on. He wasn't pushing the car at all, just going with traffic.

Attachments

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
They are stunning. One of the most beautiful cars on the road today, past and present. My area has quite a few on the road, but the most prevalent color appears to be that "Mercedes Benz Silver." I'm waiting to run into an SL55 AMG, which I'm sure will happen sooner rather than later around here.

·
5,820 Posts
Jetfire said:
They are stunning. One of the most beautiful cars on the road today, past and present. My area has quite a few on the road, but the most prevalent color appears to be that "Mercedes Benz Silver." I'm waiting to run into an SL55 AMG, which I'm sure will happen sooner rather than later around here.
I saw 10 of them in a row at the local dealer being prepped for a show. Wow. They were unbelievable. Every color you'd want to see.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jetfire said:
The Mercedes Silver is by far the best silver on any car.

A friend of mine who lives a couple of houses down wants to get the SL55 AMG soon. Of course, this will be with the help of his father. Either way, if/when he gets this car, I am definitely going for a ride. You have to love the AMG cars, they are both beautiful and fast as all hell.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
They did an incredible job with the new SL . . . I'm not really a fan of past SAL's but this is one very sweet !!!

The interior is also very nice, Mercedes is doing a much nicer job on the interior's then they used to . . .

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alan F said:
They did an incredible job with the new SL . . . I'm not really a fan of past SAL's but this is one very sweet !!!

The interior is also very nice, Mercedes is doing a much nicer job on the interior's then they used to . . .
I got to agree with you 110%. The interior on this car is gorgeous.

Attachments

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Ack said:

I got to agree with you 110%. The interior on this car is gorgeous.
I like the guages...a LOT...but the rest of it doesn't do much for me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was at the USGP and saw 4 SL55s (silver with F1 safety car markings) parked in a row near the paddock. Wow. Say what you will about Mercedes after the Chrysler merger, but they definitely didn't mess up the SL. It may be the best-looking car on the road today. I wish I had a spare 100 large sitting around.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Easily one of the 2 or 3 most gorgeous cars on the road. The 600 with the SP 18" wheels is just what I am looking for in my 6 figure cars. I'll have to admire them from afar for now...

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
johnlew said:

You haven't seen it in the other wood trims and non wood trims.
Have any of the magazines shown it with non wood? I can't remember. Generally, I'm not very fond of wood trim, so that could be part of it. I'll reserve final judgement until I actually sit in one...I've been let down by things that I loved in photos, and suprised by things I hated in photos. This is just something where photos leave me feeling ambivalent

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Have any of the magazines shown it with non wood? I can't remember. Generally, I'm not very fond of wood trim, so that could be part of it. I'll reserve final judgement until I actually sit in one...I've been let down by things that I loved in photos, and suprised by things I hated in photos. This is just something where photos leave me feeling ambivalent
Here is a small pic I found of the non-wood trim.

Attachments

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Ack said:

Here is a small pic I found of the non-wood trim.
I do like that better, although the black over red does conjure memories of my first Mustang :D

G

·
Jetfire said:
Yeah, I've seen at least a dozen on the road around here in just the past few weeks.

And, honestly, while impressive, I was underwhelmed the first time I saw one. For that much money, it's just not that special.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
TD said:

And, honestly, while impressive, I was underwhelmed the first time I saw one. For that much money, it's just not that special.
Well, it's not three times better than my car, even though it costs three times as much. But I can't think of any car that comes close to it in the same price range. Remember, this class is gauged more for its style and luxury, rather than for its performance. This thing is fricking gorgeous and it's built like a tank in typical Mercedes fashion (ignoring the first couple of MLs that rolled off the assembly line stateside). It's also fast enough to hold its own, and handles relatively well for the cushmobile that it is. It ain't no 911 but it ain't trying to be one, neither.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
It is gorgeous, but I'd think it was even better looking if they offered it with a stick. :D

That way, it'd push my "I WANT IT" button.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
When I dropped off my 330Ci in Zurich last month for the boat ride home there were two SL500's in the lot also going to the U.S.
I casually mentioned to the lady doing the paperwork on my car if she couldn't do a little "switch" and send me one of the SL's. She looked at me and with genuine concern and asked, "you'd rather have one of them over your BMW?"

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
:lmao:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts