BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car in November of last year and had a problem with the air conditioning, the dealership tried to fix it but when i saw that they had the dash completley torn apart they replaced the car for me after I had put about 1200 miles :cry: on it. They gave me a loner while the sales manager located another identical car with all the same specs SP PP Xeon etc. Then on Dec.19th I got her and she has been error free since :thumb: I just went past the 4000 mile mark. BMW is Awesome ,I don't think too many other car companies would have done that!!

My question is:
I haven't added any oil yet and was wondering what kind is from the factory. This car was built in Germany if that makes a difference. I don't care to know what you use just what type / weight/ brand came with the car :)

Thanks in advance
TicketBait/Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the best deal from Pacific BMW in Glendale CA. They didn't replace the car the first time I brought it in but after the third time in less than two weeks they started searching for a replacement. Santa Monica had one but wouldn't trade with them :( So I had to drive around in a 99 528 while they searched and found one in the water !!

Last month i had a bicyclist hit my driver side brakeaway mirror while the car was parked and off came the mirror not the housing (relief)
I went to Santa Monica BMW and they replaced the part $91 (Yikes) and put it on for no chrge--snap snap, So no complaints here with Santa Monica

Thanks I 'll try getting it from the dealer
Plaz 330i do you know the weight of the oil used?

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
The manual recommends using only approved "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil," SAE 5W-40 or 5W-30.

It also says "...you may use small volumes of other approved synthetic oils for topping up between oil changes. Use only oils with the specification API SH or higher."

·
Raoul Duke
12,582 Posts
What was wrong with your car that they felt the need to replace after only 1200 miles. Must've been pretty serious.

I use only the BMW Motor Oil. What's a few extra bucks with a $40k car?

Haven't needed to add a single drop of oil since I bought it last August. Did get convinced to do an oil change however at 5k.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Welcome to the Board.

Post frequently, ignore the flames, enjoy your car regardless of what others say...

- Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jw said:
What was wrong with your car that they felt the need to replace after only 1200 miles. Must've been pretty serious.

The first time I brought it in was the next day when the air conditioning was making a humming sound and not blowing out cold air. That was on a Sunday so the service dept. was closed. and i didn't get my car back till late Tuesday, They said that they added more freon type of stuff that they must have missed in pre delivery set up, I said ok and drove home. Then four days later the same thing this hissing noise and no more cold air, so I took it back and they were gonna check it out but we had Thanksgiving and they were closed so they called me several days later and said they were gonna order a part. well about 5 days passed and i was driving the loner car they gave me and decided to stop by the dealership where they fix the cars actually at a different location than the dealership . And I remember walking past the car not recognizing it at first . I couldn't believe my eyes, the whole entire dash was sitting on top of the car, :yikes: :eek: Along with 50 other parts to the dash that looked like they were tossed in the back seat of the car. I called up the sales manager and said you gotta get right over here. You told me that if it was anything major that you would take it back. I said I have owned the car for 12 days and you have had it for 8. I had a camera with me so I took lots of photos. I forget the name of the part that failed but to get to it the dash had to be removed cuz it sat right behind the firewall.
I had known the sales manager from before so his word was gold to me and to his reputation too . He said Steve even if they fix this and put everything back right ,I know that if something else were to go wrong you would think it had to do with this, (and he was right, I would) so let me locate you another car, So I waited about a month and in that time racked up about 4 thousand miles on the 528 they loaned me. The car I have now is Great. They eventually did resell the other one,as a used car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.