BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends and experts,

As many of you know i am close to buying a 08 535i anytime soon.. Today my friend took a Black on Black 08 550i 21K miles only single owner no accidents.. Premium package, cold weather package, Sports package, HUD, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifts, NAV for $37000..

We were just debating and he said, 550i is anytime superior than 535i

From a quality and performance and reliability perspective please let me know the difference..

Do you all agree that 550i is superior than 535i.

Thanks

· Registered
2,984 Posts
This has been discussed about 100x in this forum. Do a search for 535 vs 550 and you will find quite the discussion. If I had to summarize it in 1 sentence, the 535 can be tuned to out perform the 550 up to fairly high speeds, but you'll always have that bit of turbo lag.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Well it's no winner here on this forum it's for sure. But 550 has more I would say it's smoother ride due the power band equally spread thru out the all RMP band. But I would not say superior. In the end both cars are amazing if they have same pckg's, like sport pckg. This is making a big difference in the handling for E60 BMW 5-series. Without sport pckg car is not nimble as same 3-series.

· Registered
270 Posts
Straight from the factory I would agree with your friend that the 550 is superior but it ends there once you start tuning with aftermarket parts. Creature comforts can be had in either. Powerwise, you can get well over 400 HP and around 450 TQ on a tuned 535 with an aggressive flash, exhaust, and downpipes. I don't believe you can chip a 550 more than 15-20 HP, and upgrading the intake and throttle body will still be nowhere near a fully tuned 535. I would say that if the mod bug has not bit you, you will be happy in either, but modding is where the 535 begins to pull away from the 550 though. They are both great vehicles and owning either one is a privilege.

· Registered
394 Posts
Hello Friends and experts,

As many of you know i am close to buying a 08 535i anytime soon.. Today my friend took a Black on Black 08 550i 21K miles only single owner no accidents.. Premium package, cold weather package, Sports package, HUD, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifts, NAV for $37000..

We were just debating and he said, 550i is anytime superior than 535i

From a quality and performance and reliability perspective please let me know the difference..

Do you all agree that 550i is superior than 535i.

Thanks
Please tell me English is a second language...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.