BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· :-)
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm cruising in 5th gear and only in 5th gear, there is an intermittent rattling/clicking type of noise from the gear shifter area. if i touch the shift knob, the noise goes away, if i hold down along the edges of the shift boot, the noise goes away. this only happens in 5th gear though...

i'll be taking it in to the stealer one of these days but wondering if anyone else had similar experiences? everything is stock on my car.

· Banned
5,336 Posts
I have that problem, intermitently.
In my case, it's temperature related. Only when it's a certain temp, it happens, and exactly as you describe.

· My TARDIS is a BMW
5,469 Posts
My stock knob did that after I replaced the shifter with and SSK. It buzzed something fierce in 1st, and kinda rattled and buzzed in the other gears. I replaced it with a WSM and no more buzzing/rattles.

· :-)
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's odd though is that it only does it in 5th gear. even if i go at the same speed and downshift into 4th or even 3rd, (increasing the vibration) it doesn't make the sound anymore.

· Registered
373 Posts
It's easy to check if it's a broken tab --- just pull off the knob and look at the ring of plastic tabs near the bottom. If one's broken, it will be pretty obvious.

Speaking of which, has anyone repaired this successfully? A search of the forum didn't turn up any ideas. I can think of two options:

1. Use a drop of Superglue to hold the tab in place
2. Break it off

Any other ideas?

--Andre

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.