BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little experience in auto mechanics and I would like to try and attempt to fix my heater core in my 1989 525i, there was a link to some pics of how to do it but I guess its gone cause I cant find the pics, if someone has any info on how I can do this it would be very helpful. Oh and the sooner the better cause its getting cold outside.:D

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a little experience in auto mechanics and I would like to try and attempt to fix my heater core in my 1989 525i, there was a link to some pics of how to do it but I guess its gone cause I cant find the pics, if someone has any info on how I can do this it would be very helpful. Oh and the sooner the better cause its getting cold outside.:D
It's pretty simple I think, I'm pretty sure you just have to un-attach all of the hoses, properly drain the coolant or in your case since you probably dont have any coolant due to a leak just replace what ever is broken re-attach all electrical plugs and bleed the coolant system after you reattach everything

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heater core?...
You're in for a project. The center console comes out, and half of the dash. This fix isn't too bad because you probably don't need specialized tools but it is extremely labor and time intensive. My suggestion would be to buy the Bently repair manual. And follow it step by step. Otherwise you ARE going to break plastic parts and create more of a headache for yourself when you can't remember how everything fits back together.

I would check to see if it's the Heater Valve assembly that has gone bad first. It could also bet the auxiliary water pump that is connected to the heater valve. (next to the power brake booster in the engine bay, it has 3 coolant hoses that pass through the firewall). These control the flow of coolant to the heater core. It's a much easier fix and they are know to go bad in these cars.

How are you sure it's the heater core? Do you smell antifreeze when you turn in the heat? Do the windows fog up regardless of outside temp?

Good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.