BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share the timeline for my in process Z4 build. As of today it was dispatched from the factory and I’m hoping when I call the BMW Genius line they can give me a ship name and a rough ETA for PCD pickup in Spartanburg. I have been really happy with the support of the BMW Genius line. One person I spoke with commented that these are the most enjoyable calls they get, and everyone I spoke with told me to feel free to call as often as I’d like to get updates. I recommended that they add push text notifications to the MyGarage app so we can get notified when status changes.

My Timeline:
3/18 - Negotiation complete and deposit placed at dealership. Impatiently waiting on a build allocation.
3/25 - Build allocation assigned. Order Received and tracking in MyBMW. I was told I had a build slot for week 18 (first week in May).
4/16 - Production Begins - I was shocked to see the build started 3 weeks early
4/22 - Exterior assembly begins
4/23 - In Paint Booth
4/26 - Entering Assembly Line
4/27 - Quality Check
4/27 - Awaiting Carrier Assignment
5/4 - Dispatched from Factory

Being able to track this really adds to the experience for me. Can’t wait for my day at the performance center.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“Are you sure we’re gonna fit?”
”I’ve been doing this for over 20 years...”
”but....”
“Do I tell you how to do your job?!”
”Uh, okay...”

·
Registered
248 Posts
What interior trim did you decide on?

The wait can be fun especially if you track the ship as it pulls into the various ports (well at least I found it enjoyable :D ). I was able to see the ship arrive and depart at many of the ports.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stayed with the 4KL Aluminum Mesh Effect. I wasn’t able to find it in person before my car went into production, but I believe I’ve seen it in a number of youtube videos, mainly on early 2019 models. I’m really enjoying tracking progress and I’m going to attempt to do the same thing once I have the ship info.
What was your timeline from ship assignment to PCD?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My car's status changed to "Intransit" on 2/10 and the Genius was able to place it on the Niagara Highway when I called. It arrived in Charleston on 3/07. The voyage was delayed about a week due to storms at sea. I had my PCD on 3/25. From signing the deal to delivery it took about 80 days. I could have opted for a later PCD but I wanted to get it as quickly as possible.

Reactions: kwajtrader

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This must be my lucky week! My car moved from dispatched to at the port in one day:

3/18 - Negotiation complete and deposit placed at dealership. Impatiently waiting on a build allocation.
3/25 - Build allocation assigned. Order Received and tracking in MyBMW. I was told I had a build slot for week 18 (first week in May).
4/23 - In Paint Booth
4/27 - Quality Check
5/5 - At the Port

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but mine sat "At the Port" for almost two weeks before moving to "Intransit". That wait was tough!:( Hopefully yours will move along quicker (if that fits your schedule, that is).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car's status changed to "Intransit" on 2/10 and the Genius was able to place it on the Niagara Highway when I called. It arrived in Charleston on 3/07. The voyage was delayed about a week due to storms at sea. I had my PCD on 3/25. From signing the deal to delivery it took about 80 days. I could have opted for a later PCD but I wanted to get it as quickly as possible.
Not to burst your bubble, but mine sat "At the Port" for almost two weeks before moving to "Intransit". That wait was tough!:( Hopefully yours will move along quicker (if that fits your schedule, that is).
The last BMW Genius I spoke with said to give it a couple of days for a ship assignment and that they are still estimating week 19 for delivery, but who knows. I have an appointment set up for PPF install the week following, so hopefully things will stay on track.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am officially “In Transit” on the vessel Sirius Highway. I’ve started tracking it on the MarineTraffic App, but I haven’t figured out how to show the entire route all the way to the port in Charleston SC. The BMW Genius told me the estimated arrival date is Friday May 28th, so I’m figuring the first week in June for PCD.

4/23 - In Paint Booth
4/27 - Quality Check
5/5 - At the Port
5/10 - In Transit

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a bunch of failed searches I was able to track down the shipping company and finally find a schedule for the vessel. It looks like it is scheduled to arrive in SC on May 27th and depart on the 28th. I’m not sure what the lead time is from offloading in SC to PCD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts