BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for service at the beginning of this week. I told them about the usual oil consumption issue, and this would have been 800 miles since the last oil change. The oil level had gone down by 1/4 notch which is about a quart. The EPS (ticking noise from the steering wheel front of car) had came back from a year ago when it was replaced and fixed. A few days later, he informed me that they will replace the engine. It currently has 24K on it.

I mentioned to him about the valve steam seal issue, the crankshaft ventilation seal, and among a few other things. He said, we will take care of the issue. Problems like this on this engine (n63tu), they do not replace valve stem seal. They replace the whole engine. I was speechless.

I do not know what to think or say. Perhaps my fellow bimmers can help. :angel:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd be so happy, may want to bring those guys lunch when you pick your new engine up/car up. Be sure to post pics or if you can get them to take a few, that would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If they did this more often, it would make us customers a lot happier.

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
That's great news that they are replacing the engine, however it's a bit scary that a car of that year with those miles would have such an issue. Hopefully this will be the end of it and you won't have to deal with this issue again down the road.

·
whughes
2,040 Posts
Since I can't remember something like this on this forum, I got to think this is an anomaly. and BMW stepped up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to think that BMW is still investigating the oil consumption issue, and a n63tu would be a perfect one to study at the lab with some real mileage on it. I suspect that the G11 has the same engine with a slight variation, and they want to track down the issue once and for all.

Would they put in a refurbished engine or a new engine? I wonder what the warranty will be since my factory warranty will expire in December this year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
on my 2010 750 they changed out the valve seals and oil consumption has bee very good so far. its been about 5k miles ago.
for some vibration on engine the vibration damper with sprocket were replaced and now very smooth. also had transmission replaced
that was under warranty. when purchase it had 1 yr left on BMW warranty that previous owner had gotten. i made the most of it. also had brakes replaced, all filters too. it also had maintenance for 1 yr.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
For them to do a proper bench test engine oil consumption analysis, they would need everything. The turbos, CCV system - complete. There's probably more to the story - like - they ran the engine with no oil or something.

·
Registered
602 Posts
We do valve stem seals on N63 on a regular basis, but at 24k miles, I doubt they would be worn. We have seen a few that have scored cylinder walls causing oil consumption. Those engines got replaced

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We do valve stem seals on N63 on a regular basis, but at 24k miles, I doubt they would be worn. We have seen a few that have scored cylinder walls causing oil consumption. Those engines got replaced
What would be the cause(s) of scored cylinder walls? Will it reoccur?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Couldn't tell you why, but yeah, could be poor lubrication causes a broken piston ring

·
Registered
275 Posts
BMW has been getting the blues from the N63 and N63TU engines. My buddy who is a Master Tech at BMW here in Atlanta says that they are pulling the engines and overhauling them. ( Pulling the engine and replacing valve stems, timing chains, brake vaccum pumps, fuel injectors etc.

IDK why they don't just pull the engines, send them to be remanufactured and when someone comes in with engine problems swap the engine out with a remanufactured one. Just my thoughts....

The vehicle could be in and out in a few days vs a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
When it comes to business. Money comes first. They probably rather put a bandaid on a problem and hopefully the repairs will come out of the customers pocket eventually.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Some(not all) early production N63TU's had problems with the oil scraper rings (lower piston ring) properly sealing. Leading to excessive consumption. The N63TU valve guide seals and turbochargers so far have not had problems like the N63.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some(not all) early production N63TU's had problems with the oil scraper rings (lower piston ring) properly sealing. Leading to excessive consumption. The N63TU valve guide seals and turbochargers so far have not had problems like the N63.
That would be my engine. How some people know certain information is beyond me, but I am grateful that they share it. It is definitely better to know the cause than be in the dark.

Now if they can figure out how to permenently fix the clicking on the steering with IAS vehicles, I will be a happy camper.

·
joro2819
210 Posts
engine repacement february

I had my engine replaced in February 2016. the warranty was expiring the day I brought the car in for oil consumption. I kept a sheet of each time they topped oil off and took picture of dash with indicator light on. It was scorched 33 cylinder head with a hairline crack. The oil was depositing there until I got on highway and it blew out ehaust. I live 10 minutes from job so a lot of time it was in stop and go traffic. 22k in repairs including two new turbo's. I have driven 5k since new engine and the oil indicator has not moved.

·
joro2819
210 Posts
I had my engine replaced in February 2016. the warranty was expiring the day I brought the car in for oil consumption. I kept a sheet of each time they topped oil off and took picture of dash with indicator light on. It was scorched 33 cylinder head with a hairline crack. The oil was depositing there until I got on highway and it blew out ehaust. I live 10 minutes from job so a lot of time it was in stop and go traffic. 22k in repairs including two new turbo's. I have driven 5k since new engine and the oil indicator has not moved.
here are some pictures

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts