BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been on several threads talking about everything from upgrading the suspension to the radio controls to ceramics.

So to back up a bit, I wanted to start this thread by saying a big "THANKS" to Adrian Avila of United BMW Gwinnett of Georgia. I found this Glacier Silver over Black 2016 528i Demo/Loaner online while looking with, believe it or not an employee of a local BMW dealership, here in the Raleigh area. The price listed was 49,388.00 for a MSRP of an almost 65K car. My friend looked at me and said, "You Need To Buy This Car." It had almost all the bells and whistles that I wanted so I gave Adrian a call. Since I have never bought a car from out of state before, without driving to see it and test drive it first, he made me really comfortable in obtaining this car. He also went above and beyond in working with me to get the exact deal I wanted. In the end I was very happy with my purchase and the communication AFTER the sale also. United BMW have called me several times since delivery to make sure to answer any question that I may have. I would highly suggest if you are in the East Coast and are looking for a great deal on a demo/loaner to look at United BMW Gwinnett of Georgia and to ask specifically for "Adrian Avila" He will treat you right and is up front about everything. He is truly the real deal as has been posted here before.

So now on to the upgrades. So far I have just gotten it tinted by TVP in Raleigh. If you live in the Triangle area I highly suggest you contact Pete at TVP of Raleigh about getting your car tinted. Their prices cant be beat. Trust me when I tell you this! They also do entire auto wraps among other exterior upgrades. These guys work regularly on Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Tesla's, Porcshes and all high end luxury/performance brands and they are perfectionists.

On Monday I am having the car coded and on Thursday TVP will be installing
the double slat Gloss Black BMW Kidney Grills. They are also going to wrap the side mirrors in gloss black along with the silver inserts on the door handles too.

Next up will be Eibach springs to lower the car just a bit and give it a bit more stability. Again if you are in the Raleigh area I highly suggest you contact Nathan ( if you are interested I can provide you with his phone # ) for any of this kind of work. He is a certified BMW master mechanic and is excellent in getting what you want done, and done RIGHT! He also is a perfectionist.

After that the last thing I will get done for awhile will be a small performance stage 1 bump.
When I get that done I will post the readouts from the dyno for everyone.

So here are the first pictures of the car with the windows tinted. As I get more done I will come back to post pics here of the wrap/grills, the before and after Eibach spring upgrade etc etc etc.

I thought I would be a little disappointed with the N20 engine but I have been very surprised with the power it has, and the way its paired with the 8 spd tranny, its almost the perfect ride for me and my wife. ( the upcoming little bump in HP and Torgue is just a plus for me )

Now if I ever get the chance to grab a ceramic shifter and idrive control for a "steal" I will be set!

Did I mention I absolutely LOVE this car!

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice one! Sounds like a pretty loaded one. What options does it exactly have?

Just curious, why did you sell your 2015 335i? You really don't miss the power coming from a 335?

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Next up will be Eibach springs to lower the car just a bit and give it a bit more stability. Again if you are in the Raleigh area I highly suggest you contact Nathan ( if you are interested I can provide you with his phone # ) for any of this kind of work. He is a certified BMW master mechanic and is excellent in getting what you want done, and done RIGHT! He also is a perfectionist.
>AHEM< Shocks must be matched to springs. Shock travel is surprisingly small, and a ride height change of 1/2" makes a big diff. So do spring rates - as it's a Buyer Beware kinda world, you're best advised to educate yourself before your install, and didn't see anything about new shocks. Look up Eibach for their range of springs - quite broad. I run Eibach Sport linears - look that up, and why you may want them. Yep, saw the guy's qualifications. Does not mean it's right.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Good luck with your suspension mods. Big mistake IMHO.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>AHEM< Shocks must be matched to springs. Shock travel is surprisingly small, and a ride height change of 1/2" makes a big diff. So do spring rates - as it's a Buyer Beware kinda world, you're best advised to educate yourself before your install, and didn't see anything about new shocks. Look up Eibach for their range of springs - quite broad. I run Eibach Sport linears - look that up, and why you may want them. Yep, saw the guy's qualifications. Does not mean it's right.

Thanks, I have educated myself beyond my own intelligence, like others on this and other forums I might add ;)

As for mating to the correct shock and vice versa my guy is very knowledgeable, performed this so many times in the past he can do it with his eyes closed, and has assured me that I will not see a noticeable difference in ride quality and if I do he will swap and go back to OEM for free.

Sometimes there is a win win for folks, if they know the "right" people! :thumbup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one! Sounds like a pretty loaded one. What options does it exactly have?

Just curious, why did you sell your 2015 335i? You really don't miss the power coming from a 335?
Thats a great question. I liked the 335 and it had power to burn. However I have found that with age, for us anyway, comes the need for a little more luxury and room overall in the car. No its not as fast as the 335 for sure, but the power is there. Its not like I am driving an old GM V6 from the 80's. I know I owned a couple of those and they had No Power whatsoever.
This car seems perfect for someone like myself who is no longer into the "you pass me I pass you" kinda of thought. Not saying that is a bad thing, we are just past it. And the comfort of the 528 is head and shoulders above the 335 also. So since every now and then when I do want a little more power hence the stage 1 performance upgrade. I aint dead yet is what I tell the wifey!

The only car I ever really regret selling is my 2003 525i. That one and my 1969 Dodge Charger RT which I let go for $100.00 in 1978........Today its value would be, well lets just say enough to make me SICK that I let it go. :(

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one! Sounds like a pretty loaded one. What options does it exactly have?\
Sorry here are the options:

Colour GLACIERSILBER METALLIC (A83)

Upholstery EXC.LED.NA./SCHWARZ EXKLUSIVNAHT (LZLZ)

Prod. date 2015-07-10

Order options
No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES

1CB CO2 CONTENT

2TB SPORT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR

2V4 18"M LT/ALY WHEELS DO. SP. 613M/MT

258 RUNFLAT TYRES

3AG BACKUP CAMERA

3DZ WITHOUT ADDITIONAL DESIGNATION OUTS

316 AUTOMATIC TAILGATE OPERATION

319 INTEGRATED UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL

322 COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM

337 M SPORT PACKAGE

4BN FINE WOOD TRIM ASH GRAIN

4UR AMBIENT LIGHT

423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR

430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE

431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D

456 COMFORT SEATS, ELECTRIC. ADJUSTABLE

465 THROUGH-LOAD SYSTEM

488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

5AG LANE CHANGE WARNING

5AT DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS

5A1 LED-FOG LIGHTS

5DL SURROUND VIEW

508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)

575 ADDITIONAL 12V POWER SOCKET

6AC INTELLIGENT EMERGENCY CALL

6AE TELESERVICES

6AK CONNECTEDDRIVE SERVICES

6AM REAL TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION

6AP REMOTE SERVICES

6NP TELEFONIE USA

6WA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W. EXTENDED CONT

609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL

610 HEAD UP DISPLAY

655 SATELLITE RADIO

688 HARMAN/KARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

697 AREA-CODE 1

710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE

760 INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME

775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE

8KL OELSERVICEINT. 15.000KM/11MONTHS

8S4 DECODING VARIABLE LIGHT DISTRIBUTIO

8TH SPEED LIMIT INFO

8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B

840 HIGH SPEED SYNCHRONISATION

9AA EXTERNAL SKIN PROTECTION

925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
No. Description
1CC AUTOMATIC START/STOP FUNCTION

1CD BRAKE ENERGY REGENERATION

302 ALARM SYSTEM

4NE BLOW-BY-HEATER

4U2 DRIVING EXPERIENCE CONTROL INCL. EC

403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC

5DS LUGGAGE-COMPARTMENT EMERG. RELEASE

524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

645 RADIO CONTROL US

8SM VIN, VISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE

823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION

845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING

850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT

853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck with your suspension mods. Big mistake IMHO.
I would be inclined to agree with you but.....Its hard to explain but this car doesnt feel "planted" like the BMW's I have owned in the past. Im sure you understand what I am talking about. Its got what I like to call a little "Cadillac" feel to it that personally Im adverse to.
According to some there are many reasons for this lack of road feel. Some say its the suspension, others say tires can make a difference. I am of the camp that believes one can achieve a compromise with a small upgrade to the suspension.
If I am wrong the parts will come off and I will go back to factory parts with no labor costs to me. And I would probably sell the Eibachs I will be buying.

This is why I love forums one can get opinions from many and weigh them against your own. Sometimes I am not adverse from using another BMW owners experience over the perception of my own. Thanks for the heads up:thumbup:

·
Liked when BMW was in F1
977 Posts
Beautiful car. I am glaf that you worked with Adrian. He continues to deliver time after time.

Aside of the double slats black grille, and tinting i left my car stock and i love it. Looking forward to see some of your mods though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, Adrian is the best. I expected him to be on the ball as he comes highly recommended by most everyone here on the fest!

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Thanks, I have educated myself beyond my own intelligence, like others on this and other forums I might add ;)

As for mating to the correct shock and vice versa my guy is very knowledgeable, performed this so many times in the past he can do it with his eyes closed, and has assured me that I will not see a noticeable difference in ride quality and if I do he will swap and go back to OEM for free.

Sometimes there is a win win for folks, if they know the "right" people! :thumbup:
If it's strictly cosmetic, lowering will shorten OEM shock life. What are the new spring rates?

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I would be inclined to agree with you but.....Its hard to explain but this car doesnt feel "planted" like the BMW's I have owned in the past.
Since the F10 is more of a luxury car then a sport sedan that is why you feel this way. Also on the 528 the M Sport package does not come with the M Sport Suspension, which I'm not too sure why BMW does this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since the F10 is more of a luxury car then a sport sedan that is why you feel this way. Also on the 528 the M Sport package does not come with the M Sport Suspension, which I'm not too sure why BMW does this.
You would think this would be the case in a normal world.......:doh:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looking really great, and you sure work fast! Many happy miles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, it's getting coded tomorrow and then the grill and wraps on Thursday. Then a slight pause to meditate about things, then either I continue, or I wait and see....

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
You would think this would be the case in a normal world.......:doh:
I'm not too sure why BMW has done this, in fact, the M sport on the 528 is the same price as 535 and the 535 gets the m Sport suspension.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I'm not too sure why BMW has done this, in fact, the M sport on the 528 is the same price as 535 and the 535 gets the m Sport suspension.
True- although you do get upgraded directly from vinyl to Nappa leather when you get msport on the 528.

I was able to special order the suspension for an extra 400. Well worth it but you're right that BMW should just include it or make it a no cost option.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts