BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas...

I've tooled around this site before with an E30. I've sold that almost a year ago and just picked up a 2000 528. I absolutely love it! I flew into LA and drove it back home to Las Vegas with no problems....at least until the end when it appears that the climate control does not want to work. Not sure what it is, but I'll have to investigate.

Here's some pics of my new ride:

I paid $11500 for it, which I thought was a good deal based on what I've been seeing lately. Sounds fair?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Hey, I'm without manuals....does the "Parking" LED on the shifter console always stay on?

·
Purple Label
694 Posts
Interesting... Not actually a sport pack car, just the wheels are. I believe that is actually a base model 528 (no leather). Nice though, I really like the colour combo

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
I notice the "P" on mine is always on, so I guess it is normal. Great looking car, def get that Climate control fixed, you need it. I just left Vegas a year ago, and to live there during July and Aug without AC is a death sentence. Enjoy, make sure you take it through the loop a couple of time up at Red Rock, the Sportbikers love it because it is a one way twisties sanctuary... Be safe out there.

What do you mean by "No Leather"....

·
Registered
13 Posts
congrats - I paid a good bit more for my '99 528iA in 2005, but it has the full sport pac (incl the fancy steering wheel and suspension, but same wheels as you've got - my all time E39 favs), only had 55k miles, and was in titanium silver/silver interior trim which was my first choice.
If yours doesn't have the crappy Bosch ASC unit ($800 fix) you've got yourself one hell of a deal there.
Good luck with it -

Kurt
Philly

·
Jedi Master
853 Posts
at least until the end when it appears that the climate control does not want to work. Not sure what it is, but I'll have to investigate.
Check the Final Stage Resistor unit. OEM piece is $75, located under the center console left of the glove box. It's about a 15 minute job.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sweeet! looks really clean. Threads like this make me embarrassed to have spent $13,000 on my last car (old body style Altima) from a dealer w/ only 6K remaining on warranty... As you evidence, I could have gotten so much more bang for my buck.

Great snag.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check the Final Stage Resistor unit. OEM piece is $75, located under the center console left of the glove box. It's about a 15 minute job.
Ah. Thanks for the insight. I've looked up the part and found this.

I'm thinking it would be wise to invest in some type of diagnostic tool to track things like this down (if possible). Is there a recommended tool out there?

Thanks a bunch........

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I have the part in hand .... any quick tips to get at this and swap it out? THANKS!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I need a little advice. I tried to pull the old one out and it appears to be held in place with a plastic clip. There are no screws holding the unit in place. Without breaking something, is there a way to nudge this thing out? I plugged the new one in and everything works fine. Just need to remove the old one and put this new one in place. Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm fixed and good to go. Sorry for the multiple postings...just had to do a little more reading. I've got a fully restored FIAT X1/9 that I maintain so I can assure you that I'm "coachable"!!!!

PS: FSU now costs $145 at the BMW dealer!!!!! Double check your area, they may just be bending us over here in Las Vegas because it's freaking hot!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I notice the "P" on mine is always on, so I guess it is normal. Great looking car, def get that Climate control fixed, you need it. I just left Vegas a year ago, and to live there during July and Aug without AC is a death sentence. Enjoy, make sure you take it through the loop a couple of time up at Red Rock, the Sportbikers love it because it is a one way twisties sanctuary... Be safe out there.

What do you mean by "No Leather"....
I've taken my X1/9 out there a few times around the twisties. It's a nice scenic ride. That and the Valley of Fire, which I did with the Ferrari Club last winter. Fun place for cars.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm fixed and good to go. Sorry for the multiple postings...just had to do a little more reading. I've got a fully restored FIAT X1/9 that I maintain so I can assure you that I'm "coachable"!!!!

PS: FSU now costs $145 at the BMW dealer!!!!! Double check your area, they may just be bending us over here in Las Vegas because it's freaking hot!
Wow, that's great you found the source of your Climate Control problem right away. I guess the FSU was the culprit. Glad to hear someone on this forum was able to advise you quickly :thumbup:!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts