BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after a long wait, I eventually picked up my 528Xi. I drove 200+ miles from the dealer to my home. So far this is what I feel:

1) It is a smooth car to drive. I am gald I did not buy the A6. 528 beats it hands down.

2) I seem to like the start stop engine function so far. But I also do not drive in NYC..:)

3) I noticed that there was a rattle coming from the passenger seat when I was on the highway. I couldnt figure it out. It stopped after I moved the passenger seat forwards. Now, I see that this is common in F10 - I saw another post - and is due to the seat buckle hitting against the seat. That is what I figured out as well and seem to agree with the other thread.

4) There was a creak in the dash board on the passenger side. But it seems to have stopped :dunno: on it's own.

5) I am still trying to figure out the little nuances of the car.

I just wanted to say.. I LOVE THE CAR.. Buy it...:angel::thumbup::bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Glad you like it!

·
Steel is where it's at!!!
561 Posts
Why do you say it beats the A6 hands down? I drove the new A6, and I'm surprised that the 528 would beat so handily (given that its meant to compete with the 535). Congrats on the new car!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove the a6 before ordering my 535xi, very capable car with a smooth engine. The exterior didn't cut it for me and the 5 interior is nicer. I also really hated the both the dealership around my area. They have no service what so ever and the sale guy kept bashing on mercedes and bmw.

·
Steel is where it's at!!!
561 Posts
I drove the a6 before ordering my 535xi, very capable car with a smooth engine. The exterior didn't cut it for me and the 5 interior is nicer. I also really hated the both the dealership around my area. They have no service what so ever and the sale guy kept bashing on mercedes and bmw.
That is my biggest pet peeve, when the only sales tactic someone has is to disparage other products.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed. I also hate it when the sale guy tries to get you to sign on the dotted line or you can't leave the dealership. I get the point you're trying to sell the car but it should be on my term and my timeline. Pushing me isn't going to help your sales, why don't car salesmen get this.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zimo

Pics or it didn't happen! :)

Gratz on the car. I'm loving mine with a big grin.
I did not have time to wash the car after the 200+ mile drive. And I did not want to take pictures of a "dirty" car :)

I am waiting for the weekend to wash the car and then take some pictures, provided it doesnt snow between now and then.. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think so

Why do you say it beats the A6 hands down? I drove the new A6, and I'm surprised that the 528 would beat so handily (given that its meant to compete with the 535). Congrats on the new car!!!
I test drove both the 2012 A6 and a 2011 528 before I took the plunge.

I think the 5 series looks better [exterior], I was not initially sure about the interior of 528 VS the A6, now having driven the car for 200 miles or so, I feel the ride is better with the 528 compared to the A6. I, now seem to like the 528 interior better. More importantly for me I liked the immobile, large NAV display in the 528 than the smaller, mobile screen in the A6. [Moving parts are more likley to break].

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went through the Audi A6 vs BMW 535i debate before placing an order recently for the BMW. The Audi salesman I met was probably a German fellow who was both courteous and professional. In this regard, Audi won. But I prefer both the exterior and interior styling of the BMW.

The rear view of the A6 simply doesn't work for me -- specifically the lack of metal framing around the lights. There is a big empty hole between those lights. And the side view is too bland.

The Audi interior is very nice, but ultimately I preferred the BMW by a small margin due to the built-in iDrive monitor (vs pop-up), the full black-panel extended instrument cluster, and more comfortable seats.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bulky butt

I went through the Audi A6 vs BMW 535i debate before placing an order recently for the BMW. The Audi salesman I met was probably a German fellow who was both courteous and professional. In this regard, Audi won. But I prefer both the exterior and interior styling of the BMW.

The rear view of the A6 simply doesn't work for me -- specifically the lack of metal framing around the lights. There is a big empty hole between those lights. And the side view is too bland.

The Audi interior is very nice, but ultimately I preferred the BMW by a small margin due to the built-in iDrive monitor (vs pop-up), the full black-panel extended instrument cluster, and more comfortable seats.
I agree with all you have mentioned and also I did not like the bland, bulky, curvacious Audi butt.. :rofl:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I should add that while visiting family over Thanksgiving break, I had the chance to drive a relative's 3-day old 2012 528xi off-and-on for a week. Though I am used to my 2004 545i, I was thoroughly impressed with the new 528.

I was planning to keep my 545 for another year or so, but after just a week in the F10 I placed an order for a 535i. In fact I would be happy with the N20 engine of the 528, but ultimately I decided to get a little extra power with the 6-cylinder engine. The 300bhp output of this engine is nearly the same as the 325bhp from my 8-cylinder 545, but yields much better gas mileage.

During my one-week experience with the new 528 I found enough differences, both subtle and substantial, to warrant a purchase.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Watch out

I should add that while visiting family over Thanksgiving break, I had the chance to drive a relative's 3-day old 2012 528xi off-and-on for a week. Though I am used to my 2004 545i, I was thoroughly impressed with the new 528.

I was planning to keep my 545 for another year or so, but after just a week in the F10 I placed an order for a 535i. In fact I would be happy with the N20 engine of the 528, but ultimately I decided to get a little extra power with the 6-cylinder engine. The 300bhp output of this engine is nearly the same as the 325bhp from my 8-cylinder 545, but yields much better gas mileage.

During my one-week experience with the new 528 I found enough differences, both subtle and substantial, to warrant a purchase.
I would love to have the 535 as well.

I delibrately made the decision for the 528:cry:, because I have a problem with "lead foot", apparently there is no cure for it:mad:.

I have single handedly paid the salaries for several small town police departments and highway sheriff's departments in NY.:rofl:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts

I used to have the 545i as well and the only thing you will miss is the deep V8 grunt. Overall, you will love the 6cyl turbo.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I would love to have the 535 as well.

I delibrately made the decision for the 528:cry:, because I have a problem with "lead foot", apparently there is no cure for it:mad:.

I have single handedly paid the salaries for several small town police departments and highway sheriff's departments in NY.:rofl:
Me too, I got stopped in front of the courthouse in Tifton GA last Friday doing 50 in a 35 but he gave me a break and just warned me:yikes:

Then I thought , may be I should get the 528i next time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.