BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, and I am glad to be here. Just recently I upgraded and bought my new 650i Grand Coupe 2015. I upgraded from my old 740i E38 to this F06. So far I have very positive impression by the car, fast, luxurious, handle well and full of packages. The only negative complain is the turbo lag. Which I guess .. I am still learning to drive this turbo engine(N63B44O1).
One question I have to you guys though, it takes really long time for the engine to reach working temperature compared to my old 740i. It takes about 10 minutes and 4 miles until it reach the center. For comparison my old E38 needs just 1.5 miles (4 minutes). Is this normal for this 650i engine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remember your 650 show you the oil temp but your old E38 showed the water temp. The oil takes more time to heat up. On my 750 the water reach *100° when the oil is approx 50° so i say its normal and probably not very different from your E38

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
...One question I have to you guys though, it takes really long time for the engine to reach working temperature compared to my old 740i. It takes about 10 minutes and 4 miles until it reach the center. For comparison my old E38 needs just 1.5 miles (4 minutes). Is this normal for this 650i engine?
Remember your 650 show you the oil temp but your old E38 showed the water temp.
Ditto Hpi...what gauge are you looking at? If you're looking at the small gauge on the far right of the cluster...that is oil temp...not coolant temp like on our e38s.

If you're concerned about coolant temp...have you unlocked your cluster to pull up that data yet? The cluster on your f06 can be unlocked just like your e38 to gain access to data the cluster is being fed or using. The f06 only has one button (the trip odometer reset button on the bottom left)...and the procedure is similar to the unlocking procedure for the e38/e39/e46/e53 in that you turn the ignition to at least KLR (one press of the START/STOP button...or perhaps with the engine running if you want to check coolant temperature)...then you press & hold the trip odometer reset button. You may see several things appear...but just like on your e38...you'll see 01 IDENTIFICATION, 04 UNLOCK, and other test numbers. You'll need to add up the last 5 digits of your VIN as the unlock integer.

Proceed the same as for the e38...with presses or press & hold of the trip odometer button to enter and/or initiate a test. Once you unlock the cluster by entering the unlock number (the last 5 digits of your VIN)...you can go to TEST 8 to see what your engine coolant temperature is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts