BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I kinda new to this forum, so I would like to introduce my car.

I drove an E34 525TD Touring for 2 years, untill I got rear ended pretty bad. I was in queue on the highway, standing still, when a women drove in the back arround 60mph.
Since the E34 didn't surivive the crash, I had to buy a new car.

Today I bought an E39 525TDS Touring with Automatic transmission from 7/1998.

Options:
- 6 airbags
- Standard Business CD/RDS
- CLima control
- low OBC

As you can see, it still could use some upgrade's like:
- Xenon
- PDC
- High OBC
- Multi function wheel
- Cruise control

At this moment I have some issues with the touring hatch. My rear wiper isn't working, the alarm won't arm, and the check control states that the hatch is open.

When I open the complete hatch, the interior light goes on and stuff, so I guess the hatch sensor is ok.
But I think the rear windshield sensor is the problem. I tested the switch itself, but that is ok. So only option is the cables that goes from the sensor/switch to the car.
Now how can I test this, en how I can I trace the wire?

I also have some other, stupid, questions:
- How do you remove the lower back seat? I tried pulling it up, but didn't work
- Is it possible to program that the doors are getting locked while driving? he manual states that it is possible, but not how...
- What means ther REST button on the clima control?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
480 Posts
As far as locking doors are concerned, you need a mechanic with a pretty sofisticated computer to program those options. Some people have been able to program with carsoft cables and a laptop, but I think this is less than 100% guaranteed.

I am more surprised by the blue seats and door molds :yikes:

As for the hatch sensor, on the dash, is it a small red light or a large one that goes off?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know there is an option in Carsoft. But I guess I'll ask the dealer for this.

I didn't realize that there is a small red light or a large one. Since I only see one, I don't know wich one it is ;)

I attached a photo of it. (only driver door is opened, hatch is closed)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The REST button on the climate control stands for residual heat mode and circulates warm air from the engine for a brief period after you turn off your car. Here in the US, the outside temperature has to be 59º or less. That translates to 15º for you but the feature may become operational at a different set point. Within the correct outside temperature range and with the car turned off but the engine at the proper operating temperature, depressing the REST button will cause warm air to blow out of the vents for 15 minutes. This works without the keys and is great if you stop at a store in the winter and will return to your car shortly. Here is a screenshot of the explanation from a US-spec owner's manual. You should check your manual to correctly determine the outside temperature at which the REST feature becomes available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the interesting info! Now I know for what it stands for ;)
I looked in an online manual of the 540, but there was something different in place of the REST button.
I searched for an online manual of the '97 525TDS, but couldn't find it. Should get a manual at the dealer.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You may have a problem with the alignment of the window that causes the sensor to think it is open, thereby disabling wipe and wash functions. See if having someone manually press/manipulate the window while you activate the controls does anything.

To remove the lower rear seat, you need grab the leather on both sides of the two plastic trim covers located at the front, trying to feel for the wire frame in the seat, then press toward the back of the car very hard to release the wire from the catch and lift that side of the seat out. You can see those areas here:

I'll answer your MFL/cruise control questions in the other thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried pushing the switches manually, and I also tried bypassing them with a piece of wire. I also meassured the switches, and they are ok.

Thanks for the help with the rear seat ;) It worked :d

Where are al the car's electronics located. I mean the things like GM, LKM, DDE, Alarm,...
In the E34 they where under the rear seat.

Does the E39 has an ODBII connector? I only found the standard round BMW one under the hood.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I tried pushing the switches manually, and I also tried bypassing them with a piece of wire. I also meassured the switches, and they are ok.

Thanks for the help with the rear seat ;) It worked :d

Where are al the car's electronics located. I mean the things like GM, LKM, DDE, Alarm,...
In the E34 they where under the rear seat.

Does the E39 has an ODBII connector? I only found the standard round BMW one under the hood.
You may want to check the wiring also. In areas that experience movement, wiring is known to get damaged on the touring rear hatch.

The GM is located in the electronics carrier behind the glove box. If you remove the black plastic undertray in the footwell, you will see the large white module with 3 plugs. GM handles alarm functions as well. The LCM is in the righthand side of the righthand footwell mounted vertically behind the carpet, and your DDE will be in the electronics box underneath the righthand microfilter housing in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hehe, I spend some time looking for the fuses, now I found them in the glovebox :d. Any reason why they don't put everything in the rear seat, like the E34?

The most obvious is that the cable damage would be in the hinge where the cables go trough. Can I just unscrew those 3 bolts and wil the protection covers come off? Or are the bolts vor the regulation of the hatch?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ The OBD II connector should be under the driver's dash near the trunk release button. Though you have a touring so I'm not sure that your hatch release button is going to be in the same place, but look around in the driver's foot well area.
I dont see a ODB connector in the footwell area. I googled a bit, and it should be in the storage compartiment (see attachment).

But there is'nt a connector in my storage bin. Any chance that I just don't have a connector?

Attachments

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts
since everybody else pretty much warranted the needed suggestions...i think id like to dish out the compliments =)...the interior!!!!!!!! to die for! blue leather?!?! black trimming?!?!? eeek! and the tail lights!!! i want them badly!!! are they CELIS btw?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I dont see a ODB connector in the footwell area. I googled a bit, and it should be in the storage compartiment (see attachment).

But there is'nt a connector in my storage bin. Any chance that I just don't have a connector?
Oooh that's right... you have a Euro version! You should feel lucky because you have the Euro dashboard and center console! Look here to see the differences between Euro and US dashboards, including your OBD II port in your storage compartment (we don't have a storage compartment):

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Eurodash.htm

If your OBD II connector isn't in your storage compartment, then I don't know where it is. :dunno: Since your car is an earlier model you may not have it but I would guess that you do since OBD II came to use in the 90s. Maybe call the service department at your dealer?

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
I believe the OBD port on the earlier cars is a round socket under the hood.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If have the BMW connector under the hood. But from what I can read from the DIS manual, the E39 should have a round BMW connector and a ODBII connector.

Gonna ask the dealer to find out ;)

About the problem with the checkcontrol that says the hatch is open; I tracked down the cable from the hatch into the car's body, but the cable is ok, is not broken or damaged.
Any other options?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it true that my alarm wont arm because it thinks my hatch is open?

Does anyone have a wire diagram of the checkcontrol/hatch switches? How does checkcontrol knows that the hatch is open?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've found the source of my problem, and solved it ;)

The rear wiper motor was fried. I replaced it, and now the checkcontrol doesn't say anymore that the hatch is open.

About the alarm; I can't get it goiing off, simply because I don't have an alarm :(. Thats why I didnt have a led in my mirror :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts