BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this X3 up this past Saturday. Its a 2007 X3 3.0si 6spd manual. Crimson over black with wood grain. It was a one owner car and has 67k on it currently, it was well cared for mechanically. I have a stack of dealer receipts, both keys as well as plastic valet key and all of the manuals, even the window sticker. Just before I picked it up I had the thrust arms taken care of as well as ball joints in the front and I replaced the valve cover as well as gasket, with all OEM parts. Fluids were recently changed so I don't have to worry about them. The only problems that it has are the driver heated seat does not work properly (I'll diag that when I can but im not worried about it), and the passenger side mirror does not respond to the switch commands (more then likely an actuator). Oh and the dreaded sunroof rattle, which I caused. The pano roof sun shade was back so i hit the switch to close it and it auto retreated sooooooo i did the logical thing and held the switch to "force" close it and heard a snap that was the moment i realized i F'd up.

The car needs tires, currently they are wearing evenly at 4/32s so I have a little bit of time.
To be honest, I'm actually pretty surprised by how much I'm enjoying this car, even in this last ice/snow storm we had the car was very capable even though it has tires that should be replaced soon. It's got some scuffs here and there but nothing that wont be remedied in time. I'm really surprised by the options on this car, maybe i shouldnt be ? Heated front and rear seats, ski pass through, adaptive xenon lights, clear corners from factory, I see a bluetooth button on the steering wheel but i don't believe the car has it as it only has the business radio which i am okay with.

Pictures attached, I have not had the opportunity to clean the car as it saw immediate duty so pardon the interior shot. Also pics of my e34 535i and e36 m3 because why not. Also the M parallel wheels pictured on the 5 will at some point maybe soon end up on the X3. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The one question I really would like to know is how rare is this car, not just by color combo, but 6spd n52 cars. I found out today that there is a recall for the passenger seat air bag weight sensor as it is not lighting up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Congrats! I picked up my 07 (MT as well) in 2013 with 75k on it. 171k now. Great vehicles!

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,517 Posts
Hey...good for you...another nice find for you! You want to know how rare the car is?
Simply take the car key to the dealer...with that key they can print out all data for that car...the dealer, and not Indy. The dealer of course can address recall as well. You have two other BMWs so you know the tactics needed to deal with this process. Ive not been so crazy about the 07 and i will not rain on your parade. I think you should find, you do have BT! And it's common place for the heated seats to go bad from what I've read the heat mat goes bad and its a royal pain eather replacing the pad or getting the seats replaced (ask me how i know) Finally, I have a theory...according to the amount of original keys you get from the owner is a indication as to how well kept/maintained the vehicle is...i think you got a good one here...Question... was it a female owner? Married? Younger/older?

06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Older gentleman with wife and 2 kids. I believe this was his wife's second car, or maybe his 3rd car. Its a mutual acquaintance somewhere down my friend list, the guy took euro delivery of his porsche gt4 the same time a good friend of mine did. I actually had no intentions of buying a car when this one dropped into my lap. I was looking for a car for my brother and was just inquiring with a friend who owns a shop and he said he knew of one that someone was trying to sell but wasn't sure of the details. He then forwarded on the details and i ended up with the car. Spill the beans on what you think of the 07.. All bmws have their model year quirks and would love to know what this bugger has in store for me.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,517 Posts
Spill the beans on what you think of the 07.. All bmws have their model year quirks and would love to know what this bugger has in store for me.[/QUOTE]

Now keep in mind an e83 is an e83...
***310;
Keep in mind you've got a non abused one (probably has the factory spark plugs still) your on top of the game my friend ...
You don't have to dig your way to the top like the rest of us e83 owners.
However, the playing field becomes level when it comes to maintenance...and your on the starting block with the rest of us!
Now I too, have the 3 BMWs and even tho Ive only reared one child...I equate my BMW ownership to having triplets
I'll stop at the 3 (However,I would like a convertable) but it's got to be a fit for this 6'4" frame.
Anyways, maybe you have an advantage with the 07 being the 1st year of the revised motor (n52) where you don't have a oil dip stick? And then there's the electric water pump?
I believe? Many have mentioned they don't like the bleeding process of the coolant if I remember. I'm sure you'll get clarity from owners after they read this post.
By 07 BMW became committed to Bluetooth and now realizes the need for the aux outlet (instead of us past owners of e83 having to retrofit our units) yours maybe located next to the cig. lighter behind the arm rest.
I think this also goes for the headlights as well (a pain to replace and costly, but looks good) where as for lowly me, I would have to do a retrofit which would cost me as much as my car is worth...unless I DIY. I dont think the 07 has a ibs so no need to register the new battery when you replace the one you have installed. Let's see what else have I read...we all have problems with the roof, coolant system, leaking: oil filter housing gasket, back door panels, roof drain tubs,valve cover gaskets, expansion tank, hot water heater valve, thermostat, rubber inlet boots rip on the small connection. I could go on and on.
But to get that quick jump at the sound of the starter pistol...read up and clean the following:
Idle control valve, disa valve, throttle body (that maybe the other change) air filter and check the rubber boot for rips.
And again welcome...I would send you the welcome video but you already know what your getting into...

06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
Nice find. I have no idea the rarity, but it's not as rare or valuable as a '10. :p

Your car may not have BT; mine doesn't even though it has the button on the steering wheel.

Nothing wrong with the N52 engine, the E83 is a portly sucker and needs all the power it can get (up 30-40 hp over the 3.0 M54). Electric water pump isn't any less reliable than the mechanical one, but is more expensive and more time consuming to replace. You won't notice the lack of oil dipstick after a while; at over 150k miles, the same amount of oil comes out of mine as I put into it when I change the oil. I *should* check the oil on my other cars, including the ones from the '70s and '80s regularly, but nothing I own uses oil and I check the oil once a year when I do their oil changes. The dipstick is nice to have, but not a deal breaker.

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way to never press the sunroof button if temperatures drop below 50*. The plastic doesn't like the cold.

You could remove the clutch delay valve (like they do on E46s) for improved clutch feel/engagement. Needed thrust arms under 70k? That sounds premature; I plan on replacing the bushings in mine this weekend, but I've got 150k miles.

How recent were the fluids changed? The TC should be done 20-25k miles.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Congrats on the "new" E83! I think you'll find it enjoyable to drive and pretty reliable if you're familiar with the typical BMW quirks.

I won't rehash all the details, but here are a few highlights to be aware of:

The N52 engine uses an electric water pump. These have been failing at about 100K miles (give or take of course). When they fail, they can give little warning. Best to keep an eye on your BMW-specific codes as sometimes you'll get clues.

Watch the belt/tensioner. The belts have been known to shred and actually get forced through the front main seal into the engine and can cause serious problems.

The AT had programming issues, but you avoided those with your MT.

The CCV is incorporated into the plastic valve cover. The official fix is a $500+ new VC. The aftermarket answer is a $15 re-engineered piece available on ebay. YMMV.

Grounding straps are known to deteriorate and may lead to the early demise of starters. Either way, starters fail on the N52 at a much higher rate than BMW's of old.

I would want to know very specifically what fluids have been changed. The transfer case is particularly critical on these, and for some reason, the front differential fluid gets pretty dark (the rear acts like any other rear diff - not quite as big of a concern).

Be ware of the prolific use of one-use aluminum bolts. While some have re-used bolts in a pinch (I did on my alternator when I didn't have new on hand), they do need replaced. Check your right side motor mount bolts (they're aluminum). The bolts have been breaking. From what I've seen, the lower rear bolt on the right side is the most common to go first. If you can catch it before the others are stressed an break, you may save yourself a big headache.

I'll think of more later and I'm sure others will add.

AM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey...good for you...another nice find for you! You want to know how rare the car is?
Simply take the car key to the dealer...with that key they can print out all data for that car...the dealer, and not Indy. The dealer of course can address recall as well. You have two other BMWs so you know the tactics needed to deal with this process

I have somewhat of a leg up since I am a service adviser at an Acura dealer. If anyone has an Acura and has questions let me know...

Changed the whole valve cover with a new one, changed plugs as well. It needed thrust bushings but i changed the whole arm so I didn't deal with the labor. I had it changed at my friends shop that did the initial PPI on the car. Water pump was replaced under warranty at 7k miles. I'm still reading through the receipts. I definitely will be ditching the CDV (clutch delay valve), I may get a pedal commander ? for throttle response. I have some what of an idea with bmws as I've had several of them, BUT I've had mostly old bmws with my newest being a 99 e46 which i drove for a while and sold. The old ones still have similar problems A) coolant system B) oil gaskets filter housing and the valve covers (I hate those stupid half moon shape indents).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts