BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first BMW.& I really like it. 2005 x3 with 30k and not 1 door ding...until now. I've owned this for 10 days and some idiot put a 3 inch door ding on the front passenger door. I got most of the other cars paint off with clay and pulled most of the dent out with a suction cup, but It's still there. I was going to take apart the front door to gently bang out the ding, but I'm concerned about the Air bag?

Does anyone have any experience in this...and while it's off I was thinking of upgrading the speakers.
thanks

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Sounds like a job for the paintless dent removal franchisee in your area.

They get access to the back of the (remaining) dent by sliding tools down the glass area, and then use special lighting to guide the gentle pressing of the metal back into shape.

Anyway, best not to take the door panel off for access, as re-sealing the vapor barrier can be an issue based on some recent posts.

The one in my area is called Dent-Ex, but there are a number of them around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A friend of mine got a 1.5" dent in his subaru's door, 1 week after buying it (thanks to a shopping cart).
He paid around $150 for a dent removal service to come to his work, and repair the dent in the parking lot.
They called him out after about an hour, and he couldn't tell the door was ever dented!
In his case it was money well spent.

·
sapper
373 Posts
Dang that sucks! Sorry to hear it. I'm sure I'll get another one one of these days. Some a-hole put a 5" dent in my WRX a few years ago. Just a lack of respect for others. I haven't used the paintless dent removal thing before, but I personally would be inclined to go that direction. As for replacing the speakers in the door, do you know what size speakers you need? I don't see the 06 X3 listed on Crutchfield.com as having easily swapable speakers.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Go with the dent removal companies.

Opening the door and removing the "Vapor Barrier' can cause flooding in the cabin if not properly installed.

Why BMW would design something that relys so heavily on this $17 piece of neoprene rubber to protect your car from becoming a kiddie pool is beyond me.

Good luck.

BTW I have found never parking down hill from a vehicle is worth the extra walk.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Recently a paintless dent removal company came to my home and removed a small, unsightly ding from the left rear door of my BMW. I was amazed as the technician worked a tool inside the door panel. The dent disappeared completely. I can even find where it was. The best $65 I've ever spent on a car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts