Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it ordered from FCPEuro. It's $105 plus $17 for a new pinch bolt.
I'm wondering if the gearbox splined shaft is worn down a little from the pitman arm slipping on it. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
If I end up replacing the gearbox, I'm wanting to install an M5 steering box. Mmmmmm.....

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
hmmmmmm...

see thats werid, I wounder if someone messed with it,

thats something you dont really have to ever remove UNLESS your replacing the rack

The pitman has a changeable bushing,
the idler has a changeable buching,
the center tie link has the ball joints on it (this has to be replaced)

center, right , left, idlers and, pitman bushing...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmmmm...

see thats werid, I wounder if someone messed with it,

thats something you dont really have to ever remove UNLESS your replacing the rack

The pitman has a changeable bushing,
the idler has a changeable buching,
the center tie link has the ball joints on it (this has to be replaced)

center, right , left, idlers and, pitman bushing...
I replaced the center link and tie outer tie rods along with the idler arm a few years ago. I had to replace the outer tie rods a few months ago due to wear at less that 40,000 miles. Note: do not get Meyle. They just don't last.
When I was replacing the outer tie rods last summer, I noticed the pitman arm was slightly loose on the splined shaft. The pinch bolt was tight but I tightened it even more.
The pinch bolt is still tight but the pitman arm is still moving on the splined shaft.

I bought the car from the original owner. She had the car dealer serviced only and gave me all the maintenance records.

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
Well... If its not the pitman arm, Then the splines on the gearbox are shot.. (1,400$)

you might be able to find a used box from somewhere

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... If its not the pitman arm, Then the splines on the gearbox are shot.. (1,400$)
you might be able to find a used box from somewhere
In addition to the pitman arm being slightly loose, I noticed that when the steering was turned lock to lock, the splined shaft had a little "give" to it. I'm not sure what's normal but when my daughter turned the steering to the stops hard, the splined shaft deflected a little.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the new pitman arm installed last night but haven't driven the car yet.
The old arm didn't have any noticeable wear on the splines and neither did the splined shaft. I didn't measure the shaft because I don't have a pointer micrometer to get to the bottom of the splines.
The new one looked tighter on the shaft but that's subjective and I didn't have a "helper" last night to jiggle the steering wheel while I held the arm so I'll just have to drive it.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the car for a long drive yesterday on some very curvy roads out near Mount St. Helens (the volcano for those that aren't familiar) and the stering feels tight and solid.
I just don't get how the other pitman arm could possibly have been loose. The pinch bolt was so friggin tight and there was a gap between the pinch ears, so it's not like the pinch ears were touching.
The arm had even slid down a few MM on the splined shaft.
FWIW, the TRW center link that I installed about 40,000 miles ago still had tight ball joints. I gave 'em a wiggle while I had it apart.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I took the car for a long drive yesterday on some very curvy roads out near Mount St. Helens (the volcano for those that aren't familiar) and the stering feels tight and solid.
I just don't get how the other pitman arm could possibly have been loose. The pinch bolt was so friggin tight and there was a gap between the pinch ears, so it's not like the pinch ears were touching.
The arm had even slid down a few MM on the splined shaft.
FWIW, the TRW center link that I installed about 40,000 miles ago still had tight ball joints. I gave 'em a wiggle while I had it apart.
What is the brand of your new part?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new pitman arm says BMW on it. I think it's a factory part. It was $105 for just the arm through FCPEuro.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts