BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am finally posting info about my recent ED trip. Thanks to all of the help here otherwise I would never have known about ED. Thanks to Adrian for making everything go smoothly. Thanks to Beewang for the nav dvd loaner.

Arrived in Munich on the 26th and spent the day visiting various sites around Munich. Got up on the 27th and took U-Bahn to delivery center. After a brief (~45 min) wait I was called. I was lucky to draw Ernst for the delivery. I did not get to see him dance to Shakira but he was still entertaining as well as very helpful.

After setting up Nav and explaining a few items we were on our way towards Salzburg. We took the scenic route and hit the only snag from the Nav system due to a new section of road that had been built. We realized very quickly and were able to get back on track. Drove around the west side of Lake Chemisee and down to the Autobahn. Traffic was ok until we got closer to Salzburg where it began to crawl. Took an exit and caught back roads so that we arrived in Salzburg early evening - walked around to see some of the city and had dinner.

Got up early on the 28th to catch a Sound of Music tour. It was fairly entertaining and we saw more sites/areas than we would have on our own. After arriving back in the city we walked through the Mirabel Gardens towards the fortress. The area is very nice although it was difficult to see some sections as they were setting up for the festival. The fortress provided great views of the city.

Woke up early on the 29th and got out on the road towards Füssen. Took the Autobahn west and then got off to take back roads through the countryside. Went through Bad Tölz, G-P and Reutte. Ran into a lot of traffic near Reutte as there was a Renaissance festival going on. Reached Füssen in the afternoon and spent rest of the day in town.

We did not have reservations for the castles so we woke up early to beat the crowds. Not sure if we beat the crowds or if they were waiting since it had rained all night but arrived there without any lines and were able to get tickets quickly. While the area is very touristy I think they have the operation setup well. By the time we were going into Neuschwanstein the crowds were there but still manageable.

On the 31st we headed back towards Munich for the last part of the trip. Spent the morning seeing Dachau. It is as somber and memorable as many have mentioned here.

After dropping my Mom and luggage at the Marriott I dropped the car off at Harms and caught bus/U-bahn back to city. Flew home on the 1st without any issues.

Checking the cargo tracking site my car is booked on the Faust due to leave Bremerhaven on Aug 16th. I dropped the car off in Munich on July 31st. Is it common to take 16 days to depart? I have seen others here who dropped off a day earlier and their ship left 10 days before mine. Yes, I realize this is the toughest part of the process :mad:, just seems like be a big difference in timing. This will put it at 1 month from drop off to arrive at port. Hopefully, minimal time in customs and no damage in transit - I can always hope :angel:.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics

1st 2 are of Salzburg fortress. 1st viewed from city looking up. 2nd viewed from Leopoldskron
3rd pic is of Leopoldskron
4 - Mirabel Gardens in Salzburg
5 & 6 - pics of Salzburg from the fortress

Attachments

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
+1

Thanks for sharing. Congrats! :bigpimp:

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts