Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I am a retired owner of a UPS Store packaging and shipping business. I now spend my time loving my wife, restoring antiques, doing woodwork and studying the British Arts & Crafts Movement of the 19th Century.
I have always loved cars. When I graduated college, I bought a 1952 MGTD that began my lifelong love of sports cars. I bought my first BMW in 1980, a pastel blue 5 series. Then, in 1986, I bought a 1984 E30 that i loved and drove for over 12 years until it started to rust on me from the lousy winters in the north east and Ohio. I then took a hiatus into Porsches and now I'm looking to return to BMW.
In June, I purchased a 228i xdrive sport in hopes of reminiscing my E30 experience. It was a fantastic car! But I found the seats uncomfortable and eventually developed excruciating back pain from longer drives in the car. I sadly decided that there was something seriously wrong with the design of the seats and felt no choice but to sell it.
So, now more sober and a bit gun shy, I am looking for the combined wisdom and experience of other BMW owners to continue my search for the right BMW for me.
Thanks.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,426 Posts
When I was a sailor and flush with money, I put Recaros in my 911. Surely properly fitting custom/semi-custom seats are still available.

That said, I quite like my X5***8217;s seats, and am comfortable for eight hour drives. I regularly request a 12 hour drive itinerary from Milady Wife but 80 y.o. she is averse.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It depends on what you expect.
There are a variety of seats also available.
Expectation. Okay, aesthetics and driving experience. Engineering over computer technology. I'm a low tech type of person, I don't own a cellphone and don't know the difference between blue tooth and hounds tooth. The look of BMW is beautiful and smart, not showy, IMHO. I take driving seriously and like to be comfortable but still connected to a tight driving experience.

A "variety of seats." That's what I have focused on for the past several months. The seats in the newer (2015+) M3 and M4 seem comfortable to me and are totally different than regular BMW seats, but I'm looking for AWD and I don't want to wake up my neighbors when I start the car each morning.:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was a sailor and flush with money, I put Recaros in my 911. Surely properly fitting custom/semi-custom seats are still available.

That said, I quite like my X5's seats, and am comfortable for eight hour drives. I regularly request a 12 hour drive itinerary from Milady Wife but 80 y.o. she is averse.
Thanks for the suggestion, Doug. I know the trend is moving away from sedans and into SUV's, but I'm really hoping to find a small to mid size sedan that is comfortable. I never anticipated that it would be difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts