BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got some goodies from UK today finally. :D And in the package came the 1/43 ALMS GTR models, #42 and #43. Been a miniature collector for almost 2 years now, here's what I have to comment on the models.

Minichamps has DEFINITELY improved a lot on the details of their models. And I do mean A LOT. I have attached two pictures of the interior.

1. This is perhaps the FIRST time I have seen Minichamps include a 4-point racing belt harness and yes, the belts extend all the way back to the rear chassis. Interiors are painted in detail too. Fabulous! Previously, I have seen this on 1/18 M3 GTRs, but they were manufactured by UT Models.

2. And there are even red towing hooks for the front and the back.

3. Brake calipers are painted golden yellow as seen in the REAL M3 GTR. Yes, they are 6-pot calipers.:eeps: Woo hoo! This is probably a first with Minichamps too on painted calipers.

4. Did I mention there is a steering wheel emblem too? :)

Things that Minichamps should have included:

A. a openable engine hood with engine details.

B. smaller side grills (they seem a little out of proportion.

C. Use real miniature metallic tubes for exhaust pipes instead of a *covered* plastic tube.

Reason why I think Minichamps worked so darn hard lately is because we have new players in the market for 1/43 scales. Namely, IXO, AutoArt and Ebbro. Now, I am going to check out IXO ALMS GTR to compare the difference... :D

All in all, I think this is a model worth collecting. A good start to this wonderful hobby! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye Doug! :D

I posted the last time saying that buying from my source is almost the same price as buying it in the US. I think Dave ordered his from Dan at Cutters. Yes, they should be in stock in the US now. :) Pick up the phone and call Dan! :)

Part numbers:

80 42 0 139 179 ALMS #42
80 42 0 139 180 ALMS #43

:)

in_d_haus said:
So????? when's the group buy? Like you said this would be a great start for me! :D

·
3,440 Posts
They are in the US parts inventory(limited). I ordered the #42 car last week, but I past when it came in we discovered it was the 1:43 and not the 1:18 that the BMW DCS said it was. I didn't care too much about paying $40 for such a small model.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't be surprised with the price of a 1/18 either. It will run in the range of $85~$120.

Sean said:
They are in the US parts inventory(limited). I ordered the #42 car last week, but I past when it came in we discovered it was the 1:43 and not the 1:18 that the BMW DCS said it was. I didn't care too much about paying $40 for such a small model.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sean said:
Mine is arriving on Monday. In the beginning I thought so too (i.e., a little too expensive for a 1/42), but from Vince's review, it looks like it is worth the money in terms of details.

Well Sean, some people would think that paying $30-40K for a E46 (which is a compact car) is too much too :D :D :bigpimp:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...I know it's a little difficult to evaluate the worth such a small toy, opps, collector model. :)

Look at it this way. Firstly, it's limited cos it's a dealer's edition. Secondly, for $32 (that's what I paid) it's one of the best detailed model you can get out there. Often it's not the smaller the cheaper.

Minichamps have certainly improved a lot. Most of my 318/320 touring cars are made by Minichamps a few years back and they weren't that detailed. Luckily I bought most of them cheap at $5~$10. :)

DaveN323i said:

Mine is arriving on Monday. In the beginning I thought so too (i.e., a little too expensive for a 1/42), but from Vince's review, it looks like it is worth the money in terms of details.

Well Sean, some people would think that paying $30-40K for a E46 (which is a compact car) is too much too :D :D :bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I just got it! It is a beauty. I agree with Vince. It is one of the most detailed models I have seen, and nicely presented in a box that folds close.

Back to the pricing. Sean, I would rather pay for this than a bottle of cologne :D :bigpimp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.