BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in metro Atlanta, and at the last service to my SA that my '06 E65 was slightly misbehaving on start up, stumbling a bit on occasion...nothing serious but thought I would get it on the record. The SA asked me if I was using premium fuel...answer "Of course". He said that the local premium fuel mixture for summer was too high in ethanol and I would see better results using midgrade.

Damndest thing, started using midgrade, and seem to see an improvement. Am I hallucinating?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I live in metro Atlanta, and at the last service to my SA that my '06 E65 was slightly misbehaving on start up, stumbling a bit on occasion...nothing serious but thought I would get it on the record. The SA asked me if I was using premium fuel...answer "Of course". He said that the local premium fuel mixture for summer was too high in ethanol and I would see better results using midgrade.

Damndest thing, started using midgrade, and seem to see an improvement. Am I hallucinating?
That's unbelievable so mid grade has less ethanol? that makes no sense to me go figure. :dunno:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not posting this as gospel...this may have been pleasant BS to get me to shut up and deal with a absolutely tiny flaw in an otherwise extraordinary driving experience, his cause and effect analysis may be inaccurate, or it may be accurate but localized. I have no idea, but it does seem to have effected an improvement.

Listen to the trained professional, do what he says, and things get better...go figure.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
wow, what is mid grade in your area?? My car the other day had to start twice.... I woder if its the same problem.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
does not make sense to me.

Regular gas/ethanol has 10-15% ethanol.
Mid-grade gas/ethanol has 10-15% ethanol.
Premium gas/ethanol has 10-15% ethanol.

Mid-grade is a 50/50 mix of regular and premium. That still leaves 10-15% ethanol. :confused:

·
Registered
850 Posts
does not make sense to me.

Regular gas/ethanol has 10-15% ethanol.
Mid-grade gas/ethanol has 10-15% ethanol.
Premium gas/ethanol has 10-15% ethanol.

Mid-grade is a 50/50 mix of regular and premium. That still leaves 10-15% ethanol. :confused:
Exactly where I was going makes no sense, what would make more sense is if you only get fuel from the same station and they have water in the preimum tank maybe :dunno:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Kind of an off topic, but I get pissed when I go to a station that has 10% ethanol, but the prices are the same as the place across the street that does not use ethanol. Isnt the big arguement that its cheaper? From what I have read, you will get less gas mileage, combustion is not as good, and certain cars such as mine start to run like sh!t!

....I feel better for getting that out, plus I only go across the street now!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Kind of an off topic, but I get pissed when I go to a station that has 10% ethanol, but the prices are the same as the place across the street that does not use ethanol. Isnt the big arguement that its cheaper? From what I have read, you will get less gas mileage, combustion is not as good, and certain cars such as mine start to run like sh!t!

....I feel better for getting that out, plus I only go across the street now!
The argument for ethanol is that it is a bio fuel. I don't recall it ever being argued as a cheaper alternative.:dunno:

·
14 Posts

I live in downtown Atlanta and take my '06 750Li to Nalley. I had the same problem as you with the stumbling and slight shaking upon a cold start up. i was told that its normal for anywhere between 10 and 30 seconds with the valvetronic engine. they say that all the sensors are calibrating during this time? don't know if its true or not? I tried the midgrade suggestion in the past from a friend and it did not seem to make a difference.

·
Automobile Enthusiast
157 Posts
I have terrible stumbling on a cold start as well. Sounds like a 4cyl with a bad miss. Kind of embarrassing. My SA told me it was normal - but I left the vehicle with the dealership to check it out. I should be picking it up today. I'll post with the results...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have terrible stumbling on a cold start as well. Sounds like a 4cyl with a bad miss. Kind of embarrassing. My SA told me it was normal - but I left the vehicle with the dealership to check it out. I should be picking it up today. I'll post with the results...
What was done? What is your production date? What SW level is currently installed? Shoot me a PM if you need assistance. Unless they took a sample of your fuel and determined the alcohol content to be at unsatisfactory level, only then it is advisable to use mid grade fuel to bring down the alcohol content to satisfactory or acceptable level (10 percent). There are programming updates and VVT issues on older models. Why not start at an engine test? This checks all the variables and if something is out of specs, that can lead to the proper and successful repair instead of assuming it was fuel. Top Tier is what you put in these babies. If that's the problem then why does it run fine as soon as engine temp. rises? And where are the oxygen sensor faults? Could it be because it's a misfire irrelevant to fuel but rather software and min/max lift of the eccentric shaft? :dunno: I just do what CBS needs your vehicle displays. Anything else, I have to ask PuMA.

·
Automobile Enthusiast
157 Posts
What was done? What is your production date? What SW level is currently installed? Shoot me a PM if you need assistance. Unless they took a sample of your fuel and determined the alcohol content to be at unsatisfactory level, only then it is advisable to use mid grade fuel to bring down the alcohol content to satisfactory or acceptable level (10 percent). There are programming updates and VVT issues on older models. Why not start at an engine test? This checks all the variables and if something is out of specs, that can lead to the proper and successful repair instead of assuming it was fuel. Top Tier is what you put in these babies. If that's the problem then why does it run fine as soon as engine temp. rises? And where are the oxygen sensor faults? Could it be because it's a misfire irrelevant to fuel but rather software and min/max lift of the eccentric shaft? :dunno: I just do what CBS needs your vehicle displays. Anything else, I have to ask PuMA.
It was actually JD who was told to buy cheaper gas.. I received a call from my SA and he mentioned something about a code that was causing my issue. That same code also had something to do with my I couldn't stop smoothly (I thought it was the brakes). I'll have more details after I pick up the car. Hopefully this stuff is detailed on the invoice..

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
454 Posts

A Word from BMW NA regarding Ethanol and Fuel

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We'd like to add our 2 cents to the ethanol conversation and mention BMW NA's position on fuel.

There are significant differences in the fuel quality offered by different manufacturers in the U.S. The quality of the fuel is determined by the percentage of ethanol in the mixture and the level of detergent additives.

Depending on these factors, your vehicle's performance and fuel efficiency can be affected.

Ethanol is a type of alcohol which is combined with gasoline, primarily to reduce engine knock. In combustion, ethanol provides less energy than gasoline, resulting in reduced fuel economy. When ethanol burns inside the engine, it tends to form a weaker mixture that may cause misfire, rough idle and cold start issues in your vehicle. In addition, engine components may deteriorate over time when in contact with ethanol.

Consequently, commercial gasoline is limited to a maximum of 10% ethanol. As stated in your BMW Owner's Manual, fuels containing 10% or less ethanol will not void the applicable warranties covering defects in materials or workmanship.

Detergent additives have been required by the EPA in gasoline since 1995 to control the formation of engine and fuel system deposits. Lower quality gasoline is formulated with less effective and less expensive detergent additives. Over time, even occasional use of this gasoline robs your engine of its power, performance and fuel efficiency.

BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline with a minimum octane rating of AKI 91. This gasoline also complies with the 10% or less ethanol requirement. It's a higher standard with enhanced fuel detergency that helps to avoid drivability problems. Our BMW Fuel System Cleaner Plus is now available from your BMW center, it' s effective in preventing carbon accumulation when used as recommended approximately every 3,000 miles.

Please see www.toptiergas.com for the latest participating retailers. Expanded information is available at your BMW center in the flyer "Beyond Octane: How additives in gasoline are affecting your BMW's performance.

As always, if you have questions you can contact us at (800) 831-1117 or [email protected].

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.