BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving about 930 last night in NY (where I live). I was heading to blockbuster and I stopped at a red light. I look in my rear view mirror and then my right side mirror. I see this honda civic coming toward my X. Since it was a wide block I was a little to the right side of the block and the dawm civic pulls up next to me. IMO he should have waited behind me because there was very little space between the X and the row of parked cars. :mad: So I moved my X to the left side a bit and decided I was gonna floor the dawm thing. I shifted it into the manual mode and before I knew it we were racing. The civic was faster off the line but I caught up and crossed it. I was taking the lead ( the civics front was about few inches away from the rear of the X which is beautiful by the way.LOL) I see a stop sign and I start to slow down to a complete stop and the stupid guy driving the civic just flies through the stop sign. :tsk: There was a person about to cross the street. What would you have done? Did I do the right thing by deciding to race that f***er. :mad: He knew he got his ass kicked :flame:

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
misterlance said:
:rofl:

It happens. Being from NY, you might want to be a little more careful about provoking strangers on the road.

Would he have ran the stop sign if you were not racing him?

Good luck.
I knew I was wrong the beginning(the moment I was deciding to floor it or not, about 10-15 secs). I knew he woud not have done that but I couldnt help it. The small detail I FORGOT was when he came next to me he turned a little toward my X. It provoked me to race him. I bet he would have floored anyway cuz it was a ricer civic(badly tuned by the way).

· SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
301 Posts
I travel in philly alot and similar things happen to me. (except the racing) on even non-wide block roads they pull up on the right to beat you off the line so they can be first at the next light. When I was in college this bothered me but i just realized one day that its not even worth it. why would i risk a serious accident that could ruin my promising life by racing a person who is probably dead by now from drugs, murder, etc.?!??!?! :dunno:

Doesn't make any sense.

The way I see it, you should have your BMW 'card' revoked! :) Plus you picked a race with a honda! :thumbdwn: And with you having a 3.0 it makes even less sense. I have a 3.0 also and know full well that most cars can beat it in a 'race'. Hell, even my Ford Taurus company car can kick its ass! :bawling:

u can do whatever you want...i'm just saying its kinda lame. I think most here would agree.

· Registered
698 Posts
misterlance said:
:rofl:

It happens. Being from NY, you might want to be a little more careful about provoking strangers on the road.

Would he have ran the stop sign if you were not racing him?

Good luck.
It doesn't matter if the Civic would have run the stop light if he was racing or not. That's not xdrive's responsibility or problem.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TSAGG said:
I travel in philly alot and similar things happen to me. (except the racing) on even non-wide block roads they pull up on the right to beat you off the line so they can be first at the next light. When I was in college this bothered me but i just realized one day that its not even worth it. why would i risk a serious accident that could ruin my promising life by racing a person who is probably dead by now from drugs, murder, etc.?!??!?! :dunno:

Doesn't make any sense.

The way I see it, you should have your BMW 'card' revoked! :) Plus you picked a race with a honda! :thumbdwn: And with you having a 3.0 it makes even less sense. I have a 3.0 also and know full well that most cars can beat it in a 'race'. Hell, even my Ford Taurus company car can kick its ass! :bawling:

u can do whatever you want...i'm just saying its kinda lame. I think most here would agree.
This is the first time I have done this and I knew I was wrong. That guy just pissed me off. Other people have come to me on red lights and done the same thing but I have never raced them. The way he did and the speed he did it at just pissed me off. He could have waited behind me or pulled to my left side (where there was ample room) but that dickhead had to come to the right side, really close to me and give me a bad look. Whatever happened I knew it was wrong, I didnt really have time to decide then since I let my emotions take the best of me. And yes, I am in college. :D

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bavarian said:
It doesn't matter if the Civic would have run the stop light if he was racing or not. That's not xdrive's responsibility or problem.
True I agree :D (cant be responsible for other peoples actions) but I still should have kept myself in control but whatever happened, happened. In the end I was glad I kicked his ass :thumbup:

· Super Moderator
20,971 Posts
The tendency to street race will evaporate with age. I hope you manage to get there.

Focus on your driving objective, which is to get from A to B as inconspicuously as possible.

Forget a**holes, they are everywhere. Ignore them.

Ordert this book off Amazon, Drive to Survive, by Curt Rich.

Good luck.

Attachments

· Welcomed to the 'Fest!
752 Posts
misterlance said:
Dont be that guy.
I agree. Be the smarter person and let it go. I think that the fact that you have owned up to it as being stupid and impulsive is a good sign. I think we all get one of those moments where we lose control. I have only street raced once when I had my E30 M3 and it was the same type of thing where some guy in a E36 318i probably thought I had riced out a regular E30, not knowing a damn thing about the E30 M3. He kept pushing me until I lost it and took the bait. I have not since and have no desire at all. Believe me, when I'm in my Boxster I get all kinds of ricers trying to push me. I just let them go and they can brag to their friends about how they "blew away" a Boxster going 65 mph.

Take this as an experience and be glad the idiot didn't kill someone because YOU would have been implicated to since you were racing him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.