BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to slide the shade back and the damn thing went all the way back into the roof. I didn't slide it any harder then usual or "feel" anything break. When I finally got it to slide forward again, it seemed like it was "off its track" and plastic bits were raining down on my head. :cry:

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I REALLY think it has something to do with those wheels of yours . . I AGAIN will offer to take them off your hands but I am letting you know this is strictly a favor and as you know they really aren't worth much since everyone knows how they do a lot of damage to the E46 especially the sunroof :D

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Every time I think "maybe I should have ordered the moonroof" I read another one of these threads. It seems like BMW executes the difficult things near flawlessly (i.e.: the driving experience) and chokes on the easy stuff (moonroofs, radios, etc.). What's up with that? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Plastic is not a good material for mechanical devices, it wears. A metal part wouldn't cost much more but $$$ is $$$ I guess.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Cliff3 said:
Every time I think "maybe I should have ordered the moonroof" I read another one of these threads. It seems like BMW executes the difficult things near flawlessly (i.e.: the driving experience) and chokes on the easy stuff (moonroofs, radios, etc.). What's up with that? :dunno:
You can't let reasons like that hold you back from getting an option . . . though I am sure if you REALLY wanted a sunroof you would have gotten one . . .

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Me too. On Sat. I got in the car and cracked open the sun roof and noticed that the shade had come off the track or something. I haven't been rough on it all. I guess it's time for a trip to the dealer. :bawling:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Mine broke on my last 328Ci.

It was my fault though. I attmpted to put on a sweater while still in the car. Punched the shade off its tracks :yikes: Warranty fixed it, but it was very heavy and didn't slide as smoothly as before...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jag3er said:

Anyway, it is under warranty, take it to the shop. Make sure they don't block the drainage channels otherwise you'll be swimming in it :D
That's JUST what I need - they block the drainage channels and the car fills with water when it rains. Hrmmm...The Ultimate Washing Machine?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 2000 323i and never had the unfortunate experience of having a broken moonroof. Of course, I've only used it once. Just reading the difficulties people are experiencing with the fragility of the mechanism alarms me...replacing the moonroof cassette....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alan F said:
Damon . . . I gave you wonderful advice and no comment ? ?
I can't keep giving this advice if your not gonna take it . . .
You're getting a sedan, right? It is well known that Hamann HM2's cause nearly twice as many problems/failures on E46 sedans as they do on coupes. I don't believe on passing my misfortune on to innocents. I'm only thinking of your best interest by not selling you my wheels. That's just the kind of guy I am. :angel:

BTW - If you're serious about wanting a set of HM2's, then I'll give you info on where I got mine (with S-03 Pole Positions) for $2k. Of course, being on the east coast, you'll have to add shipping to that, unlike moi. :p

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Damon said:

BTW - If you're serious about wanting a set of HM2's, then I'll give you info on where I got mine (with S-03 Pole Positions) for $2k. Of course, being on the east coast, you'll have to add shipping to that, unlike moi. :p
Lately I'm been checking out some aftermarket wheels and I bid on a few on ebay . . . mostly Hamann's but I've been too cheap !!

The other day on ebay I saw a set of lookalike PG2's which were pretty cheap . . . only around $1400 brand new . . .

sounds kinda tempting but then if I do that I will have 3 sets of wheels . . . stock M68's, type 79's and then these . . . I'm not really sure what to do right now . ..

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Alan F said:

You can't let reasons like that hold you back from getting an option . . . though I am sure if you REALLY wanted a sunroof you would have gotten one . . .
Actually, I ordered the car before I began hanging out on Internet Bimmerboards, so I knew nothing of these problems during that process. I vacillated a little on the MR or maybe even going with PP, but I decided to stick with my original option choices. I had played with BMW's configurator for several months before ordering the car, so once I confirmed that topaz was the color I had seen and loved on another coupe in the area, I was pretty solid on my option selections. As far as I am concerned, this car pretty much embodies my vision of automotive perfection.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alan F said:

Lately I'm been checking out some aftermarket wheels and I bid on a few on ebay . . . mostly Hamann's but I've been too cheap !!

The other day on ebay I saw a set of lookalike PG2's which were pretty cheap . . . only around $1400 brand new . . .

sounds kinda tempting but then if I do that I will have 3 sets of wheels . . . stock M68's, type 79's and then these . . . I'm not really sure what to do right now . ..
Well, I sold my stock M68's w/Dunlops new for $1200, IIRC. Basically, I "upgraded" to 18" HM2's with S-03's for $800. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brother's car had the exact same problem with the shade. It came off the track first and was rattling over uneven roads. A week later he tried to open the sunroof and the entire shade got pushed back and disappeared and the sunroof wouldn't close anymore.

It was covered under warranty. I suggest a trip to the dealer immediately.

Interesting how my 540 had the same problem before. :tsk:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I must be weird. I never use the sunshade. I opened it the day I got the car and haven't used it since. In fact, on my last car I opened it on the first day of ownership and it was still open on the day I sold the car having never been used. Never had any problems with glare. Hell, here in Chicago we celebrate the sun. Both cars had black interiors and they got hot but again, we like what little heat we get here too.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Damon said:

Well, I sold my stock M68's w/Dunlops new for $1200, IIRC. Basically, I "upgraded" to 18" HM2's with S-03's for $800. :D
It's not a bad idea to sell them, my concern is I always trade in my cars and I wouldn't want a problem at trade in because I have aftermarket wheels . . . I know some of use look at it as a good thing but I think the majority of people would rather keep a car stock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alan F said:

It's not a bad idea to sell them, my concern is I always trade in my cars and I wouldn't want a problem at trade in because I have aftermarket wheels . . . I know some of use look at it as a good thing but I think the majority of people would rather keep a car stock.
IF (and that's a big "if") I decide not to keep the car and want to turn it in at the end of the lease, then I'm sure I'll be more than able to find someone to swap their 3-year-old M68s for my 18" HM2's. I don't think that will be much of a problem. :D

If I can't, then I'll pay whatever penalty the dealer sees fit or just buy someone's stock M68's and sell the HM2's privately. To me, it's worth the risk to have the wheels that I want while I'm driving the vehicle.

I'm not afraid of BMW. Bring 'em on! :lmao:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.