Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been thinking/planning to get S-03s to replace my current tires in the next couple of weeks. Everyone raves about the grip these tires provide. However, I am definitely not feeling the love when it comes to replacing an $800 set of tires every 13K miles (which works out to be about once a year).

So, the way I look at it, I have three options:

1. Buy set of cheaper tires that still wear like pencil erasers (e.g. Dunlop FM901 or Sumi HTRZ II), still replace them every year, but be happy with the money saved, or

2. Bite the bullet and buy the spendy S-03s, enjoy limpet like grip, and try and ignore the giant sucking sound coming from my wallet every summer, or

3. (and this is the crazy one) Buy a set of tires that are moderately expensive, grip decently, but wear really well. Yep, you guessed it, I'm talking about Contis. The consensus seems to be that these will last 25K without much problem, so the replacement interval would drop to every two years. OTOH, the grip cannot compare to the S-03s.

Sigh. Why aren't I a multi-billionaire yet? (Probably because I spend so much money on this freaking car)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
JST said:

So, the way I look at it, I have three options:

1. Buy set of cheaper tires that still wear like pencil erasers (e.g. Dunlop FM901 or Sumi HTRZ II), still replace them every year, but be happy with the money saved, or

2. Bite the bullet and buy the spendy S-03s, enjoy limpet like grip, and try and ignore the giant sucking sound coming from my wallet every summer, or

3. (and this is the crazy one) Buy a set of tires that are moderately expensive, grip decently, but wear really well. Yep, you guessed it, I'm talking about Contis. The consensus seems to be that these will last 25K without much problem, so the replacement interval would drop to every two years. OTOH, the grip cannot compare to the S-03s.

Sigh. Why aren't I a multi-billionaire yet? (Probably because I spend so much money on this freaking car)
i say go with option 1 or 2. contis SUCK. wet traction is horrible. i'm dying to burn through mine.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Well, nate and I showed you the new Potenza RE730's. They are a step down on the performance ladder from the S-03's, unlike the complete stumble down to pavement with Conti's. Trust me, these Conti's are just plain dangerous to have on cars that encourage hard driving. :tsk:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Do what I'm planning:

Start with the cheaper route. If they wear too quickly and/or otherwise suck, you won't feel bad for spending less money, and won't have to live with crappy tires very long (or heck replace em early if you really dislike em).

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
contis do suck in wet, if you get alot of rain, but they are very decent on dry pavement, one thing im positive of though, i would not buy contis second time around, im convinced you can buy better for around the same price range + or - 100 bucks

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Save some cash and have good grip, get the Bridgestone RE730s. I was very pleased with their track performance and they showed little to no wear :thumb:

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nate328Ci said:
Save some cash and have good grip, get the Bridgestone RE730s. I was very pleased with their track performance and they showed little to no wear :thumb:
Just checked these out; they look like what I am looking for. Decent price, looks like good grip (though obviously less than the S-03s) but a treadwear rating of 300 compared to 220 for the S-03s (since they are the same mfgr, should be comparable, no?).

Thanks. Will post impressions of whatever I end up with.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
JST said:

Just checked these out; they look like what I am looking for. Decent price, looks like good grip (though obviously less than the S-03s) but a treadwear rating of 300 compared to 220 for the S-03s (since they are the same mfgr, should be comparable, no?).

Thanks. Will post impressions of whatever I end up with.
If you would like, I can post a more in-depth comparisons in this thread between the S-03s and RE730s :)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Get H or V rated tires and really test your driving skills on the track. :)

At the Vegas school I was riding with an instructor in a set of Toyo Proxes (h rated) he uses on 15" rims for club racing and he was HAULING *SS. It's not the car, it's not the tire, it's the driver. :)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:
Get H or V rated tires and really test your driving skills on the track. :)

At the Vegas school I was riding with an instructor in a set of Toyo Proxes (h rated) he uses on 15" rims for club racing and he was HAULING *SS. It's not the car, it's not the tire, it's the driver. :)
Lots of people are under the mistaken impression that higher speed rating always equals better grip and vice versa. This isn't necessarily the case, since one isn't technically related to the other.

Grip has to do with the compound's grippiness, the tread's ability to keep more/less rubber on the road, and the compliance of the structure.

Speed is from the above components' ability to either not create as much heat at high speeds for long periods, the ability to withstand that heat and/or find a way to dissipate it.

GENERALLY speaking, higher performance tires also have higher speed ratings since they tend to go on faster cars and the drivers tend to use em that way more.

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nate328Ci said:

If you would like, I can post a more in-depth comparisons in this thread between the S-03s and RE730s :)
Any info you can give would be appreciated.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
JST said:

Any info you can give would be appreciated.
I liked both tires....

The RE730s had MUCH lower wear, almost nil. My S-03s wear fast at the track. Both are predictible tires with good amounts of at the limit feedback, S-03s a little better due to the stiffer sidewalls and tread compound. The S-03s certainly have more grip and seem to respond better to quick transitions. With the RE730s, being smoother is more important because they don't have as much grip. The S-03s are louder and have a harsher ride. At the track you can build them up into an insanely loud roar, RE730s give off more of a wooshing noise at the limit. The S-03s seemed more forgiving because of the higher limits, "I'm understeering a bit, I'll just turn in harder" The car does it with S-03s. Do this with the 730s, and you are more likely to load up a tire and slow down on the car using the outer front wheel.

S-03s- ~$15 more per tire, wears fast, loud, VERY sticky

RE730s- slighly cheaper, harder compund, low wear, very good grip

I think the RE730s will cost you a second or so at auto-x over the S-03s, but you will have to be smother and hopefully (!) improve. I have not seen a street tire that can grip like the S-03 though, it is truly phenomenal. You will save some cash with RE730s, but if the grip sacrefice is fine with you, you won't be disappointed...

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Take the advice that you gave me one time (not that I listened to you):

Buy a set of SSR-Comps with "R" rubber for the AutoX. Get the long lasting Conti's for street use.

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CD-55 said:
Take the advice that you gave me one time (not that I listened to you):

Buy a set of SSR-Comps with "R" rubber for the AutoX. Get the long lasting Conti's for street use.
That's the plan for next year, I think. I'm going to finish out the season on street rubber, but I'll probably won't be attending as many events as I was in the first half anyway due to vacations, etc.

In frustration, my wife even said to me, upon learning I needed new tires, "can't you just buy separate tires for autocrossing?"

Exactly, thought I.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
JST said:
my wife even said to me, upon learning I needed new tires, "can't you just buy separate tires for autocrossing?"

Exactly, thought I.
Even the wife thinks it is OK, you know how many guys never get that far!:flipoff: WTF are you waiting for!:p :banghead: :p

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nate328Ci said:

I liked both tires....

The RE730s had MUCH lower wear, almost nil. My S-03s wear fast at the track. Both are predictible tires with good amounts of at the limit feedback, S-03s a little better due to the stiffer sidewalls and tread compound. The S-03s certainly have more grip and seem to respond better to quick transitions. With the RE730s, being smoother is more important because they don't have as much grip. The S-03s are louder and have a harsher ride. At the track you can build them up into an insanely loud roar, RE730s give off more of a wooshing noise at the limit. The S-03s seemed more forgiving because of the higher limits, "I'm understeering a bit, I'll just turn in harder" The car does it with S-03s. Do this with the 730s, and you are more likely to load up a tire and slow down on the car using the outer front wheel.

S-03s- ~$15 more per tire, wears fast, loud, VERY sticky

RE730s- slighly cheaper, harder compund, low wear, very good grip

I think the RE730s will cost you a second or so at auto-x over the S-03s, but you will have to be smother and hopefully (!) improve. I have not seen a street tire that can grip like the S-03 though, it is truly phenomenal. You will save some cash with RE730s, but if the grip sacrefice is fine with you, you won't be disappointed...
Thanks, Nate. Any thoughts on noise with the RE730s? Nearly every review I've read indicates that these tires get very loud after 50 percent of the tread is gone. The new "Gen 2" 730 allegedly has design changes aimed at fixing this problem, but I cannot find information on whether this has actually worked.

See, e.g., these reviews.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
JST said:

Thanks, Nate. Any thoughts on noise with the RE730s? Nearly every review I've read indicates that these tires get very loud after 50 percent of the tread is gone. The new "Gen 2" 730 allegedly has design changes aimed at fixing this problem, but I cannot find information on whether this has actually worked.

See, e.g., these reviews.
I haven't noticed, but the car is a convertible so :dunno:

S-03s are VERY, VERY loud though...

T

·
0 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I haven't noticed, but the car is a convertible so :dunno:

S-03s are VERY, VERY loud though...
(Scratches head...)

The S-03s on my car are MUCH MUCH quieter than the Contis were. I have thought to myself on numerous occasions how quiet they were.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

(Scratches head...)

The S-03s on my car are MUCH MUCH quieter than the Contis were. I have thought to myself on numerous occasions how quiet they were.
They WILL get louder, mine did....

They are pretty good on smooth roads, but deafening on grooved and rough pavement...

far louder than any tire that I have driven :dunno:

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
Why not get a set of nice expensive Michelin Pilots . . I love mine.

They are great in the dry & wet though they suck in the snow but what performance tires don't suck in the snow !!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts