Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's with 18k miles on them. They have lots of tread left. Well the streets were wet this morning with a light drizzle and I took a 90 degree turn onto a highway on ramp at about 20mph and the rear end broke loose badly. I had to countersteer and give it gas to catch it. I was surprised at its lack of grip at such granny speeds. My winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2) have much better grip in both the dry and the wet, not to mention the snow. Does anyone else have these Goodyears?

Any recommendations on what I should replace my tires with when they wear out? My wife is the primary driver so she probably won't appreciate hardcore performance rubber like the Pilot Sports or S-03's. I'm looking for something with good dry/wet grip, low noise, some degree of comfort (not rock hard sidewalls).

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
The Dunlop SP5000 is a very nice sporty all-season tire, that's both good in the wet (and even snow) with decent performance in the dry, with no squealing.

We had them on our Passat, and I was impressed even though the Passat wears 195/65-15s. The only downside I saw was that they wore pretty quickly; even on the family wagon, they were toast by 15k miles. I bought them due to all the good reviews I've seen on other boards.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
For AS tires, the Dunlop SP5000 does seem pretty good. The Bridgestone RE950 is also supposed to be good.

Although Pilots may be a max performance tire, I've found the ride to be surprisingly comfortable. From what HACK says, the Continental Contact Sport 2 is also a comfortable max tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For city driving, all-season Performance/Luxury Michelin MXV4 Plus are great and they are ultra quiet and easy rolling. They been around for a couple of years but still are great.

But for ultra/max performance summer tire (read - AWESOME dry, wet or cornering) on street or race track, get TOYO T1-S .

They are not as quiet as Michelin MXV4 but then you are getting top performance (best bang for your money; they are cheaper than S-02/S-03 or Michelin Sport but are ranked in the same category).

Good luck.

AlexM520 ;)
328Ci '00 (Step)
330Ci' 03 (5-speed) on order

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
SchwartzBlack said:
I have the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's with 18k miles on them. They have lots of tread left. Well the streets were wet this morning with a light drizzle and I took a 90 degree turn onto a highway on ramp at about 20mph and the rear end broke loose badly. I had to countersteer and give it gas to catch it. I was surprised at its lack of grip at such granny speeds. My winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2) have much better grip in both the dry and the wet, not to mention the snow. Does anyone else have these Goodyears?

Any recommendations on what I should replace my tires with when they wear out? My wife is the primary driver so she probably won't appreciate hardcore performance rubber like the Pilot Sports or S-03's. I'm looking for something with good dry/wet grip, low noise, some degree of comfort (not rock hard sidewalls).
Did the tire warm up first? You can be driving on race tires, if they're not warm they'll be as stiff as a hockey puck and as slick as ice.

But if they're properly warmed up already, Michelin Pilot Sports AS and Bridgestone S-03s are two of the best performing tire in the wet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd been driving for about 1/2 hour at that point so I'd think they were sufficiently warm enough. The tires seem to be made of a pretty tough compound, they're hardly worn at all, even on the rears, after 18k miles. At this rate it'll be another 20k miles before they're down to their wear bars. That may be a good reason to drive more aggresively. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
never driven a goodyear tire that i liked.

short of the ultimate dry grip tires they use on corvettes, the ones that they use in BMW OEM applications are terrible.

the tread squirms like crazy and the compound is too hard, and they have yet to come up with a tread pattern that truly bites into the wet tarmac.

yeck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts