BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 550i. Car is new to me and the first turbo BMW engine I have owned. So, after almost full throttle through the gears to the posted speed limit ...let off throttle to cost down to speed of slowing traffic ahead. At about 40mph, I got the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction" error along with the engine MIL. Engine idled rough/poorly during the short drive to my driveway (.25 miles). I never got the rpms up to see how the engine ran.

Upon arriving home, I also notice a pronounced ticking noise coming from (seemingly) the left side of the engine (in vicinity of HPFP, I suppose). Code reader indicated misfire in cylinders 1 and 2, low fuel rail pressure, and two proprietary (BMW) codes. I have not had time to upgrade my BMW software and hardware tools to properly read fault codes at this time.

Any ideas what I should focus on? My initial thought was waste gate problem as I surely caused it to open after closing all intake valves (i.e. throttle body) abruptly after turbo was spooled up and working hard. Now, not so sure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
2012 550i. Car is new to me and the first turbo BMW engine I have owned. So, after almost full throttle through the gears to the posted speed limit ...let off throttle to cost down to speed of slowing traffic ahead. At about 40mph, I got the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction" error along with the engine MIL. Engine idled rough/poorly during the short drive to my driveway (.25 miles). I never got the rpms up to see how the engine ran.

Upon arriving home, I also notice a pronounced ticking noise coming from (seemingly) the left side of the engine (in vicinity of HPFP, I suppose). Code reader indicated misfire in cylinders 1 and 2, low fuel rail pressure, and two proprietary (BMW) codes. I have not had time to upgrade my BMW software and hardware tools to properly read fault codes at this time.

Any ideas what I should focus on? My initial thought was waste gate problem as I surely caused it to open after closing all intake valves (i.e. throttle body) abruptly after turbo was spooled up and working hard. Now, not so sure.
I'd say swap ignition coils to different places and try to remake issue

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,,,sound like a fuel related problem,,,,possible high pressure fuel pump or thr low fuel pressure sensor,,,,hope this helps,,,my blog page bmwtechnician. com

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMW tech here,,,,,sound like a fuel related problem,,,,possible high pressure fuel pump or thr low fuel pressure sensor,,,,hope this helps,,,my blog page bmwtechnician. com
So, is there a way to determine which it might be other than replacing with fingers crossed?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received my updated BMW tools/software. This evening I will try and pull the fault codes and share. Wanted to get this post back on top as I am eager to get my car up and running again without guessing at the problem. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could not get Mike's BMW Tools software to work...but, figured out a work around with other INPA software (in German), but no joy in providing details related to my problem. Need more time to figure out INPA for the F10 or try out ISTA-D. Regardless, I took the car to BMW of Austin and asked that the engine CCP covered the repair under warranty...we shall see. I had trouble getting the car to the dealer due to barely running and having to restart several times. Upon restart, I had engine power for a few seconds to get me going, then severe stumbling, no power... I might get feedback from dealer today, but my appointment day is this Wednesday.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer called: Bank 1 HPFP failure, Cylinder 1 coil bad, and a bad spark plug (not sure which cylinder, but suspect #2). $961. I let them do the work even though I already purchased the pump (I can take it back). Dealer said engine CCP warranty did not cover (imagine that!).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dealer called: Bank 1 HPFP failure, Cylinder 1 coil bad, and a bad spark plug (not sure which cylinder, but suspect #2). $961. I let them do the work even though I already purchased the pump (I can take it back). Dealer said engine CCP warranty did not cover (imagine that!).
Wait the coil and plug I can understand but not the hpfp? How could they not cover that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts