SHOE was taken :(

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speed00 said:
PS. Your badges are faded..... :(
yeah :(

I'd order the new ones but they're awfully expensive for badges.

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
New ones are faded too

Crazy as it sounds, I too have a 99 m coupe, Imola red and my M stripes look the same. I went to the dealer and asked to see a new side logo, and to my surprise, the red wasn't red, it was a light pink like my and Bol's existing ones. So his aren't really faded, they just came that way.

I'm currently working with a vinyl shop to reproduce the proper coloured (I'm Canadian) stripes for both side logos and a larger one for the back. I'll post the results when the shop produces the new ones and they say red is the first colour to fade but theirs will last a minimum of 6 years. The rest of the colours are guaranteed for 8 years. I may get a few extra copies made and flog them for cost.
-John C.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
They must have shown you used badges. :)

I have the ones on the Roadster replaced under the last of the warranty. Much more red.

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
Pinecone said:

I have the ones on the Roadster replaced under the last of the warranty. Much more red.
That's really possible for sure. The dealer in town is a small operation and doesn't carry a whole lot of inventory so the badges might be really old and faded. To give you an idea of just how low their inventory is, I went in to get a new light bulb for my clock. A tiny thing, about a buck, and really common with a million other models I'm sure. They had to order it in for me. I was stunned. So, maybe you're closer to the truth than not.
-John C.

·
B-Rad
305 Posts
Yeah, forgot that part. Wasn't saying it was a bad deal. I just haggled with my dealer to get the cost down.
The true 99 and 2000 ones are actually almost florescent orange (These all fade), the 2001 and 2002 are RED and don't fade I have heard. The newer ones are also more curved.
If you tell your dealer what year your car is, he should give you the Orange ones unless you ask otheriwse. I went through this also, as I had seen pictures with orange, then saw new M's in the lot with RED, I was like :dunno:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Speed00 said:
PS. Your badges are faded..... :(
First thing I thought too. Mine were just as bad when I bought the car.

I took my rear badge off. With a custom M plate (and a zillion M badges on the car), it seemed gratuitous.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Pinecone said:

Same here (with the 99) several years ago, so they must faded pretty fast. That was summer 01.

Daniel had the rear badge replaced on his 02 and they gave him a flat one; you guessed it...
Faded already :tsk:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I've noticed this too; M coupes and roadsters seem to have faded badges a lot more than M5s or M3s. Maybe they come from a US supplier that doesn't use UV inhibitors or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts