BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· BRDistheword
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just a few things, so the other day I was driving my on my crappy clutch in my '02 525i and it finally gave out. No more clutch engagement. I know the clutch is dead because it's been slipping terribly for some time now (thanks to all my friends wanting to attempt to drive it which was very stupid on my part) but I'm wondering if anyone has and helpful tips for me. I'm 16 so im pretty young in the world of experience but I still have a clutch job on my record (my friends 1986 corvette) I'm changing my flywheel, clutch, RMS, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and all nuts and bolts in it. I've read up and i have the full Bentley manual for my help, just wondering if anyone has anymore advise before I go tackle this next week, thanks everyone!

· Registered
15,976 Posts
Use an OEM BMW clutch. No need for a "super-duty" clutch.

Replace the clutch lever pivot, and consider new master and slave cylinders.

Consider replacing these components whilst the trans is out: 11, 13, and 14: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT33&mospid=47584&btnr=25_0009&hg=25&fg=05

May also want to install a short shift lever. Many with the 5-speed have installed the E60 lever, but that entails the use of Royal Purple gear lube, to minimize shifting effort.

· BRDistheword
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use an OEM BMW clutch. No need for a "super-duty" clutch.

Replace the clutch lever pivot, and consider new master and slave cylinders.

Consider replacing these components whilst the trans is out: 11, 13, and 14: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT33&mospid=47584&btnr=25_0009&hg=25&fg=05

May also want to install a short shift lever. Many with the 5-speed have installed the E60 lever, but that entails the use of Royal Purple gear lube, to minimize shifting effort.
I was about to just say, the pins on the shifter leaver and other misc items I was planning on replacing as they are fairly cheap. And yes I was going to go oem. I have no need to try and push my little 2.5L engine, if I had a V8 I might have gone for more expensive performance but that's not the case, I also am planning to remove the CDV (clutch delay valve) as many people have said that the drive with that out is substantially better. Thanks for the reply - Ben

· Yaofeng
298 Posts
Is it self adjusting? I'd like to get your expeience installing if it is a self ajusting clutch.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
You might want to take advantage of this opportunity and replace both the crappy DMF (Dual-Mass Flywheel) and SAC at the same time, switching to a solid billet 16-pound flywheel and non-SAC clutch. EBay seller "Gripforce" has some really good package deals for right around $500.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
What's the benefit of that 'solid billet 16 lbs flywheel and non-SAC clutch'?
More precise feel (no more "mystery engagement point"), improved performance from reduced flywheel weight (16 lbs. vs. 25 lbs. for the DMF), and, along with a CDV-ectomy, a major improvement, bringing you closer to "The Ultimate Driving Machine"....the combined effect of the DMF, SAC, and CDV is the automotive equivalent of having sex while wearing three condoms....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.