BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile now, I've talked about my restored 1967 VW Beetle, but never had any digital pics of it... These aren't stupendous (cheesy cell phone camera... :mad: ) but you can get the drift...

Also, its a color called "Zenith Blue" which alot of people call "Baby Blue" :banghead: but its not... that "BB" color was used prior to "ZB" which was a one year only color... it has a tinch of gray in it... it also does not photograph well in bright sunlight, but looks sweet at dusk... Anyway, here are some post-car-wash, pre-show-and-shine car show pics from this weekend...Enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Looking great, Sal! :thumbup:

BTW, Zenithblue is a VAG family color, can be found on some Porsche too :)

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts
Looks great, Sal! :thumbup:

That car invokes so many childhood memories. My Dad had an orange Beetle when I was really young. I still never forget the smell of that car. My brother had an old Beetle and it had the same smell.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Beautiful! 1967 was a great year for aircooled Volkswagens for a number of reasons. :thumbup: :bigpimp:

I have had one Zenithblau Typ 1, but my favorite 1967 VW model was my Baltic Blue Typ 3 Variant 1600L (Squareback). I still miss that car!

Enjoy your oldtimer Käfer!! :D

KdF!

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, Zenithblue is a VAG family color, can be found on some Porsche too :)
Interesting! Would that be on a 356, 912 or 911? :dunno: Or other? I could see it on a 356... 911/912 not so much... Alot of people see it as a "girlie" color... In fact, years ago I came out of a movie theatre and overhead someone saying (as I got into it) "A dude drives that car?" :eek: :mad:

I guess the bud vase on the dash doesn't help... :angel:

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still never forget the smell of that car. My brother had an old Beetle and it had the same smell.
Yup... I think its the oil blowing through the heating system... :yikes: It permeates everything... Its strange how old VWs hit you at some many sensory levels... the sight, the sound, the smell... And almost everyone has a story... Met some people at the car show who told me they had a split-window Bug up until 15 years ago in Hungary... the wife was telling me how one time she was driving along with the kids asleep in the back and she looked in the rear view mirror and saw flames.... got the kids out, and then threw dirt on the engine till the flames went out! :wow:

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful! 1967 was a great year for aircooled Volkswagens for a number of reasons. :thumbup: :bigpimp:
You may have noticed, (and I think we've talked about it before) my '67 is a Euro-spec version... VW 1300 with 6-volt instead of the 1500 with 12-volt like they sold here... Years ago, I used to work with a guy who had a Euro-spec VW 1500 with factory disc brakes :yikes:... I think he works at the local Ferrari dealership now... :eeps: (I think he's the one that yelled at me for wearing my BMW Sauber hat in there... :p )

Is Baltic Blue the darker kind of blue/green color? That is one of my favorites! :thumbup:

Heh heh, KDF... Strength through Joy! :angel:

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, its hard to tell in the pics, but back when I restored it, I took some "liberties" with a few things... :eeps: I used white fender beading (from the VW museum warehouse) instead of the usual black and I swapped out some items that had been plastic with their chrome cousins from previous model years (the windshield squirter and the chrome ends around the grab handle come to mind)... Also, my jack slot covers are chrome plated Datsun 2000 covers... :confused: These tweaks plus my various original accessories earned me the nickname "Pep Boy" at the shows back in the day... :p Some equated my car with the "Pep Boys" automotive store, known for selling many tacky add-ons... :cry:

IMO, I invented the "Resto-Custom" look and just didn't bother to patent it... :angel:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
You may have noticed, (and I think we've talked about it before) my '67 is a Euro-spec version... VW 1300 with 6-volt instead of the 1500 with 12-volt like they sold here... Years ago, I used to work with a guy who had a Euro-spec VW 1500 with factory disc brakes :yikes:... I think he works at the local Ferrari dealership now... :eeps: (I think he's the one that yelled at me for wearing my BMW Sauber hat in there... :p )

Is Baltic Blue the darker kind of blue/green color? That is one of my favorites! :thumbup:

Heh heh, KDF... Strength through Joy! :angel:
Yes, that is right - your Euro-spec 1967 Typ 1 is a lot different than the US version! I have seen those here in Finland, and I was confused at first about the 6V electrical system and some other exterior features that are different from the US-spec.

My 1967 Typ 3 also had disc brakes (OEM) and they were excellent, even though the car was not so heavy. But its dual carbs were a PITA to keep tuned.

Baltic Blue is a bit darker, but IMHO, not much more than Zenit.

So, when are you going to drop a fuel injected, 3 liter, Typ 4 engine from BAS Ahnendorp in your Käfer? :dunno:

j/k! :bigpimp:

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that is right - your Euro-spec 1967 Typ 1 is a lot different than the US version!
Back when I was 16 and finally received it (after 8 years of waiting... :rolleyes: ) my original intent was to slam it, flame it, suicide door it, etc.... Of course, once I realized that it was a relatively rare model (at least in the US) I couldn't bear to do it, so I restored it back to stock instead... Mind you, it was only about 20 years old at the time... Needless to say, "Boring"... I had lots of people ask me if it was a '75 or whatever... :mad: So, I discovered the joys of "Accessorizing" which had been popular in Europe for a long time, not so much here... Started finding them and installing them and before you know it, I was winning prizes at the VW shows (21 First Place trophies in all! :D ) I figured if your going to accessorize a Beetle, it may as well be a Euro-Beetle... ;) So, unfortunately, no 3L turbo Type IV motors for me... I still have a bone stock 1300 that has over 100K on it now, and still gets it up to 65MPH... Fast enough for my purposes... jus' cruisin' now... :bigpimp:

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Sal, She looks awesome! :str8pimpi :thumbup: Last of the 'real' beetles. I like how yours has the two-piece headlights instead of the US sealed beams only. Have you thought about getting a roof rack with the wood slats?

There's a guy on my street with a '65 Beetle and a '63 Square, both totally stock and un-restored. My wife and I see them when we take our evening walks - she trips out that I pay no attention to the corvettes, 350Z's, Evos and STi's, but totally rubberneck the air cooled VWs :rofl:

At Cars N Coffee this past weekend there was a nice Ghia with a built 1835. Super clean. There was an excellent micro bus there too... my favorite out of all the exotics and classics. From every angle that design is spot-on. There is absolutely nothing you can find wrong with VW's early designs, except for the fastback Type III.

I have to look for some pics of my Notch.

BTW, post better pics ASAP.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like how yours has the two-piece headlights instead of the US sealed beams only.
One of the 67-Euro eccentricities... parking lights in the US Spec 66 headlights are up front, Euro spec, they are in the back, near the non-sealed beam bulb... When my Dad bought it from the gray-market dealer, they had rigged up some US Spec lights in it, and extended the wires to reach the parking light... When I brought the correct headlights back from Germany, I was able to remove the extensions and return everything to the way it was supposed to be.... :angel2: sang and everything! ;)

Have you thought about getting a roof rack with the wood slats?
I have one of the all metal racks, and thought about getting it chromed, but that would be too blingy... If I could find a "real" wood slat rack, relatively cheaply, I might consider it... but they make repros now, so they are kind of common... You actually see less restored Bugs without roofracks on this coast than you do with... I do have an original wood slat roof rack for my camper Bus, I had to replace all the wood on it, but one piece of wood was still on it when I bought it... the piece with the metal manufacturers tag! :yikes: Made new slats and transferred the tag... :thumbup: (Also, I had to buy a whole 'nother Bus to get the roof rack, but fortunately the whole she-bang was only $200... :D )

There's a guy on my street with a '65 Beetle and a '63 Square, both totally stock and un-restored.
Squares are the new hot-lick... They actually sold one at an auction the other day... Like $15K! :yikes: You should score it! :thumbup:
'63 has pushbutton controls, right? I have solid metal (no wood :( ) roof racks for a Square and a Notch... :bigpimp: I also have a complete (except for the linkages) dual carb set, including the massive air cleaner) for a Type 3... Maybe someday I can trade it for something I need... :eeps:

I have to look for some pics of my Notch.
Please do! :thumbup: Yeah I need to take some real pics... of course, than you'd see thats its not primo... some chips and rust bubbles here and there... I restored it back in '88 and it has over 300K miles on it... so its far from perfect, but good enough for cruising / show & shine... :angel:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts