Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
purchased as a CPO in 2016, it is a 2014 model. She has had some little things go wrong, like the door lock on passenger side, lights going out, running and headlamps, but nothing big. She has 70k mile on it now, and will be driving way, way less than she used to (got a job working at home, and working about 20 miles round trip from the house vs. 5 days at 100 miles round trip). My question is, we originally got this BMW as a stop gap between the diesel Jetta VW bought back, and a Tesla 3. Things have changed, and I got my deposit back on the Tesla, and we will be keeping the BMW for awhile. We have the extended warranty from the CPO that goes to 100k, should we keep the car until 90k and sell it, or keep it for the next 10 years and hope for the best?

Dave

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
We hope our X5d is our last car purchase.

The note will be paid off about fifteen months and then the payments will be earmarked for emergent expenses. So far the reliability has been adequate, but we have very high expectations from our thirteen years of experience with our VW TDI. It never missed a beat.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
purchased as a CPO in 2016, it is a 2014 model. She has had some little things go wrong, like the door lock on passenger side, lights going out, running and headlamps, but nothing big. She has 70k mile on it now, and will be driving way, way less than she used to (got a job working at home, and working about 20 miles round trip from the house vs. 5 days at 100 miles round trip). My question is, we originally got this BMW as a stop gap between the diesel Jetta VW bought back, and a Tesla 3. Things have changed, and I got my deposit back on the Tesla, and we will be keeping the BMW for awhile. We have the extended warranty from the CPO that goes to 100k, should we keep the car until 90k and sell it, or keep it for the next 10 years and hope for the best?
My wife also has a 2014 328xd. It's CPO elite till 7/70k and currently is at 45K; similar to your situation. Only thing that's gone wrong is the stupid radio/CCC, and a couple minor trim issues. She's sitting at 37mpg lifetime (since 7500K) on a 50%/50% city/freeway mix. There are a lot of horror stories out there (xDrive transfer case, HPFP, timing chain), but the engine seems solid so far. She may decide to replace it because she's in love with the new safety features - pedestrian detection, lane change warnings, adaptive cruise (my son has it on his Volvo and likes it a lot), etc.

I was going to keep my 335d forever, then changed to "I'll replace it with a new chipped 328xdt when the emissions goes out. Now that's not an option and heck if I know what I'll do; maybe a B6 Alpina and say hell with fuel mileage since I'm not doing long distances any more.

Every situation is different, but I'd tend to keep it, even past one of the big three I mentioned. I like the size and performance is adequate for a duffer.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

Dave
If your goal is to have a reliable and enjoyable car while minimizing expenses over the long term then by all means keep it. Just find a good BMW mechanic, keep up with maintenance and fix problems as they become apparent. It works.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Dave
If keeping this model for the long haul, probably worth keeping your eyes peeled for a 2016-18 that is built exactly or close to how you want.
The combination of sport seats, heads up display, drivers assist plus and lighting package is a really nice setup on a car that loves mileage.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
Keep it until you get to 90K and then see how reliable it's been under that light usage. All those things you describe are typical old-BMW issues, not really expensive but can be a PITA as they keep happening. We're having the same issues with the E90, but we're keeping it because it is the last of the "good" BMWs with no turbos, hydraulic steering, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife also has a 2014 328xd. It's CPO elite till 7/70k and currently is at 45K; similar to your situation. Only thing that's gone wrong is the stupid radio/CCC, and a couple minor trim issues. She's sitting at 37mpg lifetime (since 7500K) on a 50%/50% city/freeway mix. There are a lot of horror stories out there (xDrive transfer case, HPFP, timing chain), but the engine seems solid so far. She may decide to replace it because she's in love with the new safety features - pedestrian detection, lane change warnings, adaptive cruise (my son has it on his Volvo and likes it a lot), etc.

I was going to keep my 335d forever, then changed to "I'll replace it with a new chipped 328xdt when the emissions goes out. Now that's not an option and heck if I know what I'll do; maybe a B6 Alpina and say hell with fuel mileage since I'm not doing long distances any more.

Every situation is different, but I'd tend to keep it, even past one of the big three I mentioned. I like the size and performance is adequate for a duffer.
We have a 2014 with all of those features :) In fact I think we may have one of the first ones delivered in the USA since it was special ordered by us the first day that they could be preferenced in the ordering system. Production date was July 7th, 2013 with a delivery date of August 25th. We have had surprisingly few issues with it. I initially joined this forum to sort out what others have complained about with noise and steering wheel feedback above 50mph and below 70 if I recall. Wasn't xdrive, wheels or tires. I think it is related to some resonance from the air flow through the front airdam. I solved the problem by handing it off to my wife to drive! Anyway, it now has 113k miles. I am trying to determine if I want to keep it and begin to service it myself or trade it in. The 100k extended service warranty is done, so I thought I would check here to see what issues I can anticipate. Seems like I am still one of the higher milers even though it hasn't been driven much the past two years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a 2014 with all of those features :) In fact I think we may have one of the first ones delivered in the USA since it was special ordered by us the first day that they could be preferenced in the ordering system. Production date was July 7th, 2013 with a delivery date of August 25th. We have had surprisingly few issues with it. I initially joined this forum to sort out what others have complained about with noise and steering wheel feedback above 50mph and below 70 if I recall. Wasn't xdrive, wheels or tires. I think it is related to some resonance from the air flow through the front airdam. I solved the problem by handing it off to my wife to drive! Anyway, it now has 113k miles. I am trying to determine if I want to keep it and begin to service it myself or trade it in. The 100k extended service warranty is done, so I thought I would check here to see what issues I can anticipate. Seems like I am still one of the higher milers even though it hasn't been driven much the past two years.
Here is the window sticker:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. It's been a great car, just too low for my wife, but way more enjoyable to drive than the Bluetec ML she is driving now. I can't even drive it, with the sloppy steering and ride, it's terrible. My son drove the wagon through HS since it was safe and he had an 80 mile daily RT. So now it sits while I sort out what to do...

·
Registered
7 Posts

Dave
The only issue you might get into, speaking from experience with other clean diesels, is not driving it enough use the Urea before it degrades or long enough to regen the DPF. Someone will know the answer but I am guessing if you don't fill Urea in a year, drain and replace it. Other than that, we have had issues on an MB that my wife used as a grocery getter. She didn't always drive it long enough to heat it up, so condensation in the intake caused all sorts of headaches. Our BMW definitely takes longer to heat up than our MB's which have all sorts of insulation--that is the source of a bunch of other issues--ugh.

So if you are going to drive it at least 20 minutes per trip and more than 7000 m
iles a year, I would say based on my experience at 113k, it will be reliable until you are out of warranty and beyond.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
I'm confused, you said that you handed off the car to your wife to drive, but then you said she drives the Mercedes. So is it your car, or does it just sit, neglected and alone? I don't know what are problems unique to the diesel (other than what has been mentioned) but I presume that you can expect the typical 100+K BMW issues of cooling system failure, suspension wearing out and miscellaneous electrical gremlins. And all that plastic crap will start to break off when you try to fix something else. And the valve cover gaskets. Tensioner, idler pully, etc. Typical old car stuff. but more expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm confused, you said that you handed off the car to your wife to drive, but then you said she drives the Mercedes. So is it your car, or does it just sit, neglected and alone? I don't know what are problems unique to the diesel (other than what has been mentioned) but I presume that you can expect the typical 100+K BMW issues of cooling system failure, suspension wearing out and miscellaneous electrical gremlins. And all that plastic crap will start to break off when you try to fix something else. And the valve cover gaskets. Tensioner, idler pully, etc. Typical old car stuff. but more expensive.
We ordered it for my wife, we took delivery, I got to drive it for the first month or two until school started. She then drove it with my unlicensed son to and from school logging something over 30k the first year and similar the second. When he got licensed it cut the trips in half so mileage accrual went down. We bought the ML at that time for her. Now it***8217;s getting driven by me when it***8217;s not practical to drive my Bolt because of weather or temp, visiting friends, and family when they are home. So since in past 2 years it***8217;s been driven less than 20k. I***8217;m really struggling with selling it. But we really don***8217;t need it.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
Two thoughts and a question:

1. To me, 10K miles a year is a lot for a spare car. Heck, that's about what I put on my primary car.
2. If you don't need it, sell it.

Q. How do you like the Bolt?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Two thoughts and a question:

1. To me, 10K miles a year is a lot for a spare car. Heck, that's about what I put on my primary car.
2. If you don't need it, sell it.

Q. How do you like the Bolt?
Good comments and question. I am also curious about the Bolt.

I only drive about 8+K a year. I am periodically tempted to pick up a small roadster or sports car for fun but I have always concluded that I don't drive enough to make it worthwhile.

Sounds like you have one car too many.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,631 Posts
Sounds like it would be a great car for your son to take to college.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts