BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:mad:Well, with just 900 miles on my 2011 50i silver w/ M-package 333m wheel..... with those great Bridgestone run flats that everyone loves.....there is a bulge on the front passenger side tire.......I don't think the wheel is bent. At highway speed there is no shake.......$$$$$$$ more money

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no insuance.......$280 for 275/40R20 Bridgestone Dueler HP sport RFT @ Town Fair Tire total installed..... How much are people paying for wheel and tire insurance????

·
Five is Right Out!
185 Posts
no insuance.......$280 for 275/40R20 Bridgestone Dueler HP sport RFT @ Town Fair Tire total installed..... How much are people paying for wheel and tire insurance????
Sounds like you got off a lot cheaper than with the insurance IIRC ~$900. I had the same problem with my run-flats until I recently got rid of them for conventional tires. Bulge in the front drivers tire.

IMHO ditching the run-flats is the best thing you can do to improve your ride quality and treadlife. My run-faults lasted 24k miles before just being about at the wear bars.:thumbup:

·
7,959 Posts
Well, with just 900 miles on my 2011 50i silver w/ M-package 333m wheel..... with those great Bridgestone run flats that everyone loves.....there is a bulge on the front passenger side tire.......I don't think the wheel is bent. At highway speed there is no shake.......$$$$$$$ more money
Get used to the bubbles, you will be seeing a lot of them until you ditch the RFTs.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,536 Posts
Good for you. People that say "wow that's cheap" are probably buying tires from a BMW dealer!!!

Tire and wheel insurnace is $1000-1500, depending on dealer. There is no "one price", it is whatever they can get away with.

You could replace all 4 tires, and get the 'road hazard policy' on each replacement, and come out ahead of the BMW insurance...AND you will have new rubber for more miles!

Get used to the bubbles, you will be seeing a lot of them until you ditch the RFTs.
Say what? I've got 26k on my runflats, zero issues- no flats, no dented rims, no bubbles... just a total shocker and outlier I guess. :angel:

Although I generally keep it on the road and steer around potholes:thumbup:

A

·
Registered
223 Posts
I believe there is a 1 yr road hazard warranty standard isn't there? Check your documentation you received with the car (glove box)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:cry:Is that was is on the cd with all the manuals????? That would be great.....Even If my wife hit a pot hole being driver error?

·
In Heaven
2,971 Posts
I will never buy any sport package/run flat without tire insurance... an my last 335i, I replace 2 rimms and 2 tires,... spend close to 2000$, where the insurance would have cost me just 1200...
Good lesson learned, though...!

·
Sup3rman
1,213 Posts
Say what? I've got 26k on my runflats, zero issues- no flats, no dented rims, no bubbles... just a total shocker and outlier I guess. :angel:

Although I generally keep it on the road and steer around potholes:thumbup:

A
I put 43K miles on the sport RFT's on my 335i before they were at the wear bars. No dents or bubbles. I can't believe people are saying they're only getting 24K before replacement..

Does the car visit a racetrack occasionally??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to switch out my RFTs on my 335xi at 26K. 95% highway driving in flat Ohio. The Bridgestones were OK at best. I put a set of Conti RFTs and am much happier. I'm hoping the new X5d I'm picking up doesn't have Bridgestones.

·
Five is Right Out!
185 Posts
I put 43K miles on the sport RFT's on my 335i before they were at the wear bars. No dents or bubbles. I can't believe people are saying they're only getting 24K before replacement..

Does the car visit a racetrack occasionally??
That would be a no.:rolleyes:

Normal 2lane 55-60mph driving. Not flogged or raced in any way shape or form. Some light towing (~2000lbs).

Let's put it this way, I could have gone this summer on them if I was hard up, but with the bubble it was an easy decision. Lovin' the Pirelli Scorpions. Hopefully those will get me to 100k.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,536 Posts
Bought road hazard protection for all 4 bridgestone's for 160 dollars from discount tire.
You're one of my success stories. :thumbup:

:angel:

A

·
'Fester
400 Posts
+1000!!! thank goodness someone listens to sound advice!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Replaced 5 tires and one wheel in two years on my 135 (rft's)... very low profile. So I bought the insurance for the X5d. Zero tire/wheel issues at 12500 miles...and this was a bad winter for potholes--some real new York jawbreakers. I guess i am saying best advice is to not buy the BMW insurance for the X5.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hit a pothole last week. Bent the hell out of the sport rim. Thankfully I got the BMW insurance because they replaced the rim, no money from me, no questions asked.

·
Five is Right Out!
185 Posts
You're one of my success stories. :thumbup:

:angel:

A
It is certainly better than the BMW tire and wheel insurance, but IMHO going run-flatless is the best option anyway. Just think what thousands of miles on tires that have very little give does to your suspension components.

Also, I find it interesting that the OEM Bridgestone run-flats do not come with any treadwear warranty. If the manufacturer doesn't have enough confidence in the tire to warranty it, why should anyone else consider buying it?:dunno:

I hope everyone else who is committed to run-flats gets their money's worth...unlike me.:thumbdwn:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts