BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the pricing document courtesy of ALPINE6SPD over on E90Post.com. Many thanks to him.

Of note:

1) Aux Input standard
2) Logic 7 stand alone option, nothing else.
3) You have to pick an additional otion to get either 6CDC OR the iPod interface or neither, but not both.
4) A higher quality leather option (Pearl leather - from the Individual selections) available but only in Black or Creme Beige.
5) Real Time Traffic, standard, BUT if you select HD radio this feature is deleted.

MSRP = $73,900 for coupe & $80,900 for cabrio

Attachments

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Well, Well, Well...

They takith and they giveth...

If I remember correctly BMW has increased the price MSRP, yet ala cart some other features in order to please the smaller community (My belief).

I'll comment on the specifics a little later.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Socalz71 said:
Cobradav, can the real time traffic feature be added to older models w/o HD radio?
...and, is there a monthly charge for the feature? I assume that this feature reroutes to minimize travel time based on traffic density along the route. The Acura RL was the first to have such a feature built in to their OEM Navi unit, but there is a monthly charge to use it. I drove a 650 (Euro model) through Europe earlier this month (more about that later), and the real time traffic feature worked well some of the time. It was explained to me that the traffic updates are via a free radio signal, so no charge is made.

The new Tom Tom Go has this feature as well, but it requires a call into a traffic center via a Bluetooth phone. I don't recall whether a monthly charge is levied, or if there's a per use charge.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Limitations to Real Time Traffic Reports/Rerouting

Some History:
Until the end of last year Mercedes supported a couple of different real time traffic features via the COMAND and Teleaid systems (one text on the screen the other audio). Now that function, with a dedicated button, is gone -- at least for my car, a 2002 model -- and the button is useless. I'm not sure whose information and data system(s) Mercedes relied on and used. It was fairly reliable but sometimes maddeningly incomplete.

Current Options
Current satellite radio has real time traffic (and weather) reports for major metropolitan areas including, of course, L.A. So, that's something for those of us with the older, obsolescing 650is. (The weather function is pretty much useless -- the report tells you what the weather is and you're already outside!)

I also have a "Traffic Gauge" for the L.A. Metropolitan area put out by this company. The device picks up signals from CalTrans transponders at mile intervals on the freeways which measure traffic flow. The device also indicates which pro basketball and major league baseball teams are playing (no need to report pro football teams), and flash when there are bad traffic jams. Sounds great in theory. However, because of major construction on one of L.A.'s backbones -- the I 405 (San Diego) Freeway from the Sepulveda Pass to LAX -- the device is now worthless (for me). It often indicates no traffic and when I get on the freeway it's bumper-to-bumper.

Limitations Based on Current Options
While real time reports and re-routing would be useful, if BMW's system is based on reports from CalTrans, it may have only limited value in L.A. Nevertheless, being a gadget freak, I'd want to get it and pray for the best (as well as the end to construction on the I-405 for a few years).

Having said that, there are currently work-arounds to the intermittent traffic reports available on commercial radio for those of us lucky enough to drive in L.A. (Where is the :ironic: iconic?)

·
Nothing witty here
2,604 Posts
Anyone try that device from AAA that supposedly monitors SoCal traffic? Is that the one you are using, Mal?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Spyder said:
...and, is there a monthly charge for the feature? I assume that this feature reroutes to minimize travel time based on traffic density along the route. The Acura RL was the first to have such a feature built in to their OEM Navi unit, but there is a monthly charge to use it. I drove a 650 (Euro model) through Europe earlier this month (more about that later), and the real time traffic feature worked well some of the time. It was explained to me that the traffic updates are via a free radio signal, so no charge is made.

The new Tom Tom Go has this feature as well, but it requires a call into a traffic center via a Bluetooth phone. I don't recall whether a monthly charge is levied, or if there's a per use charge.
If I understand correctly, BMW is offering the real time traffic option for $100 which includes 4 years of service. Quite a bargain. However, its value is questionable depending on where you live. If you look at the traffic map in LA during rush hour, you are screwed wherever you are. There is more red than a Visine commerical. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
chuck92103 said:
If I understand correctly, BMW is offering the real time traffic option for $100 which includes 4 years of service. Quite a bargain. However, its value is questionable depending on where you live. If you look at the traffic map in LA during rush hour, you are screwed wherever you are. There is more red than a Visine commerical. :yikes:
According to the sheet that Cobradav referenced, Real Time Traffic is standard on the '07 650, but if you choose the HD option, they delete this feature. I'd like to know if the feature is fully integrated into the OEM Nav system so that minimum time routing is computed, like in the Euro model. As Mal points out, such routing is only as good as the real time is real :rofl:

·
Think Solar
477 Posts
Is HD radio worth it anyway?

CobraDav...Thanks for posting the link to the new product bulletin. Quite timely for me as I still have a chance to modify my option choices and go for an MY07...

Now, for anyone who has experience with HD radio, what do you think of it (especially if you have Sirius as well?)

I have Sat radio in my wife's Honda Odyssey (god, what a bargain that car is if you don't mind being seen in it:D ) I think the sound is quite clear and I can't imagine HD being that much better...but I've never heard HD to know any better. I'm really inclined to go for the traffic updates and include the Sirius option.

Also, I'm ordering Cream Beige interior, which I have heard is a @#$! to clean. No problem, I think I'm ready for that...but does anyone have an opinion on the new "Pearl" leather texture, and how it compares to the Nappa version with respect to cleaning and sunshine tolerance?(ordering the conv.)

Thanks all...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Retail/Wholesale Pricing '07

Does anyone have the retail/wholesale pricing sheet for '07? Thanks. Greenwave5

1 - 14 of 14 Posts