BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This "X" appeared a few weeks ago out of the blue. It looks like a railroad crossing sign. There is no railroad there (has not been for 50+ years). Other places where old rail systems crossed do not get the X. It does not appear anywhere else on the map.

Any ideas what it is?

Gps navigation device Automotive navigation system Electronics Technology Electronic device

Gps navigation device Electronics Map Automotive navigation system Technology

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It means that the road or the ramp is temporarily closed. The navigation system will reroute you.
I have to try to see if navi wants to avoid it. It appeared out of the blue, looks like railroad crossing, and the road is open -in fact, never closed.

Also, for many items that get live feed (debris on the road, traffic), whenever triggered, it goes away after a while. This has been there for weeks.

Still, I'll give navi a try to see if wants to avoid the "X". Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nico, any chance that there is any sort of long term road construction at or near that location.
I seem to remember that same symbol at a construction zone we had to go thru in the Midwest.

Would be nice if we had an index of all of the symbols we might see along with their explanation. I haven't found one anywhere, yet.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1. It's the same general graphic used in the E70 and other BMWs.

When you're close to it next time just pull up your RTT in Navi and see how close it is, click on it and see what it says, etc.

Accuracy is a different topic...
I'll try. I could not get it to tell me anything when I was there. It is just an intersection. No on ramp, no special access. Spot, three way junction: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.882212,-122.524381&spn=0.0026,0.004442&t=m&z=18

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here you go:
Ouch! below the belt shot. It is the wife's car!

X issue resolved. Index2020 is spot on.

But the road is actually open.

Tried navi and it makes me go around the intersection, though there is a road closure about 8 miles from the intersection. If I enter a destination past the actual closed spot, navi calculates the correct path to avoid the closure.

There is some inconsistency between the X and the actual closed spot. Another clue it gives is that it marks the road in black, which I assume is another way of showing a closed road.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts