BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I heard a mysterious sound from my car... it was a soft scraping sound. "shhh... shhh... shhh... shhh..." It sounded like one of the brakes was scraping. I heard the sound briefly as I was started to drive away from a stop sign. The sound speeded up as I accelerated, and stopped after about 10-15 feet. The sound hasn't come back since then.

Do I need to be worried? :dunno:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Pete Teoh said:
Tonight I heard a mysterious sound from my car... it was a soft scraping sound. "shhh... shhh... shhh... shhh..." It sounded like one of the brakes was scraping. I heard the sound briefly as I was started to drive away from a stop sign. The sound speeded up as I accelerated, and stopped after about 10-15 feet. The sound hasn't come back since then.

Do I need to be worried? :dunno:
last time I heard a sound like that some bastar d stabbed my tire and the air was going quick, so I was worried :(

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Was it raining or did your tires/wheels get wet? Sounds like the rotors may have rusted over and it's rubbing the pads. It should go away after a few light brake applications.

If you take off your wheels and look at your brake calipers, you will see the floating caliper design makes the outside pad literally microns away from contacting your rotor...Any thing that gets in between the rotors and the caliper will cause it to scrape. I always hear it when it rains heavily or after I wash my car.

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HACK said:
Was it raining or did your tires/wheels get wet? Sounds like the rotors may have rusted over and it's rubbing the pads. It should go away after a few light brake applications.

If you take off your wheels and look at your brake calipers, you will see the floating caliper design makes the outside pad literally microns away from contacting your rotor...Any thing that gets in between the rotors and the caliper will cause it to scrape. I always hear it when it rains heavily or after I wash my car.
As a matter of fact, we just had a downpour this afternoon. That must be the cause of the sound/scraping. WHEW! I'm glad it's not something major. :D

Thanks, HACK!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
OMG! Gasp!

Sorry for the reaction but it's really something when I actually GUESS a problem correctly! Maybe there IS something to this "being able to solve someone else's problem from across a computer screen" thing that ff's always complaining about? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm surprised ff hasn't chimmed in :D

Pete - I've had this sound as well. It can occur after I've been driving awhile too. Always seems to come from the right side (or at least it does acoustically because hear it more when I drive pass parked cars, etc, which reflect the noise better). But it comes and goes. I had the dealer check the brakes last time I was in for service, and they found nothing unusual.

My guess is that it's caused by dirt or sand getting into the brakes - and there's more of that on the right side of the road.

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HACK said:
OMG! Gasp!

Sorry for the reaction but it's really something when I actually GUESS a problem correctly! Maybe there IS something to this "being able to solve someone else's problem from across a computer screen" thing that ff's always complaining about? :dunno:
Yeah, it's eerie being able to diagnose a problem through the computer screen... Almost like the Psychic Friends Network or something. Are you related to Dionne Warwick somehow, HACK? :D

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
geomax said:
I'm surprised ff hasn't chimmed in :D

Pete - I've had this sound as well. It can occur after I've been driving awhile too. Always seems to come from the right side (or at least it does acoustically because hear it more when I drive pass parked cars, etc, which reflect the noise better). But it comes and goes. I had the dealer check the brakes last time I was in for service, and they found nothing unusual.

My guess is that it's caused by dirt or sand getting into the brakes - and there's more of that on the right side of the road.
Interesting... the sound did appear to come from the right side of my car too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.