BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for tires for evaluation and saw an ad in Roundel for the "new" Pirelli PZero Corsa's. R-Compound tires that are comfortable on the street and will eat up the track.

Unfortunately, not even Pirelli's official website has any information on this set of tires. :(

·
Registered
979 Posts
I saw those ads too and was looking for more info on them. Couldn't find anything on them on any Pirelli site.

There is the phone number listed for distributors.

How do you know they are R compund?

BTW, any info on getting Falken's? Thanks.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WAM said:
I saw those ads too and was looking for more info on them. Couldn't find anything on them on any Pirelli site.

There is the phone number listed for distributors.

How do you know they are R compund?

BTW, any info on getting Falken's? Thanks.
Sorry WAM...I was looking into that stuff, but my relationship with my vendor has soured a bit (no fault on his part...I just don't have any work for him to do).

I'll look into contacting Falken myself. Wouldn't mind a set of their R compounds for testing as well. I'll keep you informed.

By the way, I'm only assuming the Corsa's are R compounds, since the few article I came across mention it's track tire with an emphasis on street-ability.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:

Sorry WAM...I was looking into that stuff, but my relationship with my vendor has soured a bit (no fault on his part...I just don't have any work for him to do).

I'll look into contacting Falken myself. Wouldn't mind a set of their R compounds for testing as well. I'll keep you informed.

By the way, I'm only assuming the Corsa's are R compounds, since the few article I came across mention it's track tire with an emphasis on street-ability.
Are you shure that you should be using R compunds? :eek:

Anyway, I searched Google, most results were non-english

They are track tires, not allowed in the One Lap of America. Poor in the rain

http://www.bmw-m.net/Digest/Archive_2002_03 digest 2059-2150/digest2138.htm#4

http://www.bmw-m.net/Digest/Archive_2001_03 digest 1012-1112/digest1111.htm#6

The succesor to PZero-C is out!!! PZero Corsa. It is better. Not
available in my size yet :-(
Just Pirelli's new street legal competion tires. You shouldn't use R comps until you are very good....

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
PZero Corsa
The ultimative high speed tire, which became "PZero Corsa" for enthusiasts conceived, who want to use their road vehicle also on the racing course and to maximize the performance of their car. It has road permission a ECE/a EEC -; it is available up to further in the following sizes:

Technology: The new underbody, its direction of travel-bound and asymmetrical profile sample (version "left" and "right") and special bearing surface mixtures make the PZero Corsa one of the most efficient and innovativsten sport tires and thus an extremely worthy successor of the already legendary" PZero C ".
Grip & security: The closed, sturdy external shoulder gives incomparable lateral stability and Grip to the tire, whereby it however the more strongly formed internal area exzellente wet-handling and acceptable aquaplaning characteristics lends.
Road Homologierung:
The PZero Corsa is examined and marked according to the Ece and/or EEC guidelines (a condition for the employment on public roads) and represents a genuine alternative to sporty "standard products" and is it to be worth tried!

German website

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's my duty to EVALUATE PRODUCTS! It's a new product, I want my fellow enthusiasts to KNOW what it's capable of and if it lives up to the advertising.

If I'm paying out of my pocket I would NEVER buy a track compound.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:
It's my duty to EVALUATE PRODUCTS! It's a new product, I want my fellow enthusiasts to KNOW what it's capable of and if it lives up to the advertising.

If I'm paying out of my pocket I would NEVER buy a track compound.
Sorry, but with only one day on the track, you won't push its limits and will likely endanger yourself if you try. Yes, I have seen people go off the track because they don't know their track tires. Test road tires first

G

·
nate328Ci said:

Sorry, but with only one day on the track, you won't push its limits and will likely endanger yourself. Yes, I have seen people go off the track because they don't know their track tires. Test road tires first
Amen. You HAVE to learn and build up experience while your car's limits are still reasonably reachable. You can't go raising your car's limits until your skills reach an appropriate level.

And unless your skills are there, you're not testing anything as you'll be lucky to make it around the track alive. You certainly will not be able to assess the subtle distinctions between those tires and something (anything?) else.

And I'm no where near experienced enough either (so far only 2 track days and 4 autoxes for me). I thought you learned

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
TD said:

Amen. You HAVE to learn and build up experience while your car's limits are still reasonably reachable. You can't go raising your car's limits until your skills reach an appropriate level.

And unless your skills are there, you're not testing anything as you'll be lucky to make it around the track alive. You certainly will not be able to assess the subtle distinctions between those tires and something (anything?) else.

And I'm no where near experienced enough either (so far only 2 track days and 4 autoxes for me). I thought you learned
yup, I totally agree with TD and Nate... Dan, you cannot do any real testing with the skills you picked up with a handful of driving schools, you would however risk losing it at a limit at which you're not capable of handling. that will not be pretty...

--Andrew

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ayn said:

yup, I totally agree with TD and Nate... Dan, you cannot do any real testing with the skills you picked up with a handful of driving schools, you would however risk losing it at a limit at which you're not capable of handling. that will not be pretty...

--Andrew
And, even if you do, what can you compare them to? Steet tires?

Obviously, they will stick better, but attempting to review a set of tires with no context and no experience on any other track tires would be a complete disservice to your readers. You cannot review something if you don't even have any knowledge on the subject.

Not to mention that you could easily put your pretty 323Ci into a wall

IMO :dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it looks like these tires aren't availabe anyway from Pirelli, for the time being...Or they're hard to access.

Perhaps I'll try the PZero Nero out first...It's their hi-po (Z or W rated) NEW tire to replace the P7000 SS. Hopefully my experience with the NERO will be better than the P7000 SS though.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
145 Posts
The HACK said:
Well, it looks like these tires aren't availabe anyway from Pirelli, for the time being...Or they're hard to access.

Perhaps I'll try the PZero Nero out first...It's their hi-po (Z or W rated) NEW tire to replace the P7000 SS. Hopefully my experience with the NERO will be better than the P7000 SS though.
Hack, Just some thoughts, straight tranlation - Corsa = racing. Not sure what Pirelli means with Nero as translation = black. I know they had a rosso = red but what that equates to in terms of performance is open....
From what I've been able to gather the PZero Corsa is strictly RACING/RALLY....

I got this from the Italian site

PZero System
With the birth of Ferrari F40 in 1987 PZero took the decisive step which from a 'semi-rally position' placed it at the top of tyres for a real traffic use directly. The same route of its ancestor P7, even if in that case the landing place after a rally Lancia was the Porsche 911.

PZero System, born in 1994 to solve the problem of aquaplaning of dream supercars, begins its career on the Ferrari F355, Maranello's new phenomenon, and soon it won all the Ferrari models over. Then it did the same with Porsche and Jaguar.
With PZero System a totally new product is worked out.
It is lighter and more hard-wearing, because the mathematical models used in the planning stage enable the engineers to get rid of what ten years of technology have found out as redundant.
It is more comfortable and quiet, because whoever purchases a supercar may expect even silence and comfort from tyres with ten-centimetres sidewalls.
PZero Rosso
In 2000 Pirelli launched the new PZero Rosso (red) on worldwide markets. The name PZero has been chosen once again, because PZero represents the turning point in the UHP tyres technology.
Zero stands for "zero limiti" (no limits) and Rosso stands for the red colour which symbolizes the passion for driving. This is the same feeling that accompanied PZero's birth and keeps on animating the new generation of ultra-low profile high performance tyres.

PZero Rosso completes a new range of UHP technologically advanced tyres for drivers and cars. It has peak performance levels. Its promptness, progression, accuracy for trajectory and roadholding ability are the qualities on which history of Pirelli low profile tyres is based, starting from P7 created for Lancia Stratos.

Performaces and safety, above all on the wet road, thanks to the years of studies on profiles, compound and tread design are the solution to the aquaplaning problem.

Until reaching the exclusive concept of Pirelli System: two different tread designs for front and rear axles, for an exceptional behaviour both on dry and wet roads.

PZero Nero

Wide lower profile and larger rim diameter to increase the degree of traction during hard driving

Precision and quicker response in cornering

Its wide footprint greatly reduces breaking distance

Exclusive design for tread and sidewalls

FAQ

1. Is P Zero Nero a tyre for the Original Equipment or Replacement market?
P Zero Nero is mainly destined to the Ultra High Performance replacement market.
This gives a higher versatility of usage that makes it a very appealing product for consumers interested in car tuning
2. When does PZero Nero become available on the markets?
P Zero Nero becomes available starting from March 2002

3. Where will PZero Nero be sold?
In Europe, Japan, Far East, South Africa and USA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts