BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently noticed a loose wire dangling under the car (a 2002 325i) in front of the front right tire. It's looks black with two separate blue-sheathed strands in it terminating in some kind of blue 2-pin connector, I think. However, it looked like it had been dangling there for some time and had been hitting itself against some edge, so much so the insulation was all stripped off a big stretch of the wire, and parts of the two strands had basically been completely twisted together.

I haven't been able to find anything obviously not working with the car (lights and stuff all function) so I have no idea what this mystery wire is! However, the car's battery has been draining really quickly (it's had to be jump started multiple times and mechanic can't find the problem).

I looked at the cable and it looks all mangled up and unsalvageable so i cut off and kept the mangled end and taped it up for now - I figure if for some mysterious reason it is SUPPOSED to be twisted together and shorted I can always strip and re-twist them together. Anybody have any idea what this mystery wire is? Could it also have been what's causing my battery problems?? :dunno:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I mean the front passenger side, it dangles out from behind the bumper kind of just in front of the wheel.

Is this the same part you're talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...-SENSOR-PULSE-GENERATOR_W0QQitemZ360107616959
If so, no I don't think so, the wire I'm looking at is pretty thin and not so round in cross-section, and the 2-pin connector is quite small, maybe half an inch long and an eighth/quarter inch wide, with holes for connecting into tiny pins, like some of the wires you find in a computer.

I wasn't able to see where it terminated since it went into the bumper from behind and up, and I couldn't find the other end of it under the hood. It bears some resemblance to the wire running to the bottom of the windshield wiper fluid tank, but I couldn't be sure it was the same one since that wire didn't move when I tugged my mystery end, although it might just have been secured somewhere in between. Wiper fluid works fine, although I wouldn't know if it was the sensor for it being empty.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Does your ambient temp read 122 or -40? And no, it isn't a big deal. It is either your ambient temp sensor (which is usually on the drivers side, but i have seen them over there too) or the cold pavement sensor for your heated wiper fluid thingy.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Does your ambient temp read 122 or -40? And no, it isn't a big deal. It is either your ambient temp sensor (which is usually on the drivers side, but i have seen them over there too) or the cold pavement sensor for your heated wiper fluid thingy.
That's what I'm thinking, too. I would think that if one of the wheel speed sensors was wonky there would be a host of lights popping up on the dash.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
That's what I'm thinking, too. I would think that if one of the wheel speed sensors was wonky there would be a host of lights popping up on the dash.
I wish someone could tell me why BMW seemed to put the ambient temp sensor on either side of the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks!! I'll check out my ambient temp and see.
Are there two of those sensors? So if one were out would I still get a reasonable reading on it?

Well at least I'm glad I'm probably not driving with the ABS out on one of my wheels or something, sounds like a recipe for unexpected acrobatic demonstrations.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Thanks!! I'll check out my ambient temp and see.

Well at least I'm glad I'm probably not driving with the ABS out on one of my wheels or something, sounds like a recipe for unexpected acrobatic demonstrations.
It wouldn't just be one of the wheels. If something is wrong with any of the ABS system, you're pretty much without it entirely. And it'll show up on your dash, unless it's been going on for so long that the bulb is burned out :)

You can find a nice stretch of unoccupied road, get the car up to 50 and stand on the brakes. If you see tire smoke, you know the ABS isn't working :D

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
I believe that is the temp sensor associated with the heated wiper jets as smolck said, I'll have to see if I can crawl around under my car to see if it's there as well. Is your car equipped with the cold weather package?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does having buttwarmers in the seats mean I have the cold weather package? If yes then I guess I do.

·
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)
516 Posts

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Temp sensor is on the driver's side, isn't it? On the passenger's side would be the stink detection sensor? You know, the one that closes down the cabin vent when it detects "contaminants in the environment", as the manual delicately puts it. Or do I have it all misplaced?

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Temp sensor is on the driver's side, isn't it? On the passenger's side would be the stink detection sensor? You know, the one that closes down the cabin vent when it detects "contaminants in the environment", as the manual delicately puts it. Or do I have it all misplaced?
Nope, you could be right on. I have heard this as well from a BMW tech. But some cars have the temp sensor on the passenger side for no apparent reason.

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
Nope, the UAC sensor sits right on top of your fan in the engine compartment.

·
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)
516 Posts
Stink sensor is on the passenger side top of radiator.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Does having buttwarmers in the seats mean I have the cold weather package? If yes then I guess I do.
Not necessarily. Do you have headlight washers? If so, then you have CWP. At least in 2005 when I ordered my car, butt warmers were available as a separate option.

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
Not necessarily. Do you have headlight washers? If so, then you have CWP. At least in 2005 when I ordered my car, butt warmers were available as a separate option.
Folding Seats, and butt warmers were two indivisual options as well. Really only way to tell is if you have all three.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
This thread is funny.........so many opinions......BMW has done a good job of keeping even the most experienced of us in the dark with this one.....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hmm. Don't understand all the confusion.
I've never had reason other than to think:

(Also AFIK all US models except the base 323s (optional with sport package on them) had heatable windshield washer nozzles standard, nothing to do with CWP )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts