BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
///M drop top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have close to 90K on the original suspension I have decided to go with the TC Kline true match adjustable coil over.

What all besides the shock mounts should I replace while i have the car apart?

Any suggestions on rear camber adjustment options?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have close to 90K on the original suspension I have decided to go with the TC Kline true match adjustable coil over.

What all besides the shock mounts should I replace while i have the car apart?

Any suggestions on rear camber adjustment options?
+1 on replacing subframe carrier bushings with urethane units (Ireland Engineering also makes good ones) Rear camber cannot be adjusted unless you install some weld-in toe/camber adjustment plates (also made by Ireland) but this requires removing the subframe and some welding skills. If you plan to track, consider some front camber plates (or swap your stock strut hats side to side for some additional camber)

·
///M drop top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!! Would the IE urethane rear subframe and trailing arm bushings be to harsh for a semi-daily driver? Do I need to worry about strut/shock tower reinforcement? Keep the stock sway bars/ how big should i go? I am not to up to speed on anything suspension besides the TCK info. Not really looking to track the car regularly, thats what the sportbike is slowly turning into. I'll probably fork over the $ to get the rear camber installed, i would like to keep the rear camber around where it is right now. I want to add some more camber in the front, but im guessing the lower height will cause some.

Hopefully Ill be able to pull the trigger after I fix the O2-CEL from my SS header/cat install.

·
Driver
25 Posts
If you do nothing else, do the subframe bushings. There are several threads on here on the topic (do a search on Z3 subframe bushings).

From what I understand, Ireland Engineering was first to market with the polys and they have a lot of satisfied customers. Now Powerflex and AKG make them, too.

I installed the AKG ones and am very happy with them so far. They are the 80A durometer ones. They do the job of immobilizing the rear subframe, at the expense of some increased differential whine. It's minimal and shouldn't bother you. Vibration did not increase one bit.

The AKG's are also cheaper than the Powerflex and you can get them with free shipping from Harrison Motorsport (no I have no affiliation... I'm just a happy customer). The IE's are the same price as the AKG's ($100 as of this posting) but I'm not sure about shipping costs from IE.

Here they are before installation:

From Desktop

And taken apart (the inner sleeves are machined aluminum - VERY NICE):

From Desktop

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Last time I heard, no one was happy with the urethance trailing arm bushings. But it has been a few years since I have heard any reports.

Ireland makes two levels of stiffness for the subframe bushings. If you don't want the harshness, go with the softer ones. Green IIRC.

·
///M drop top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great! I will mostlikley order urethance subframe bushings and oem replacement trailing arm. Just ordered the TC Klline S/A coil overs but forgot to specify spring rates just told them it was for street. What rates should I expect?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Great! I will mostlikley order urethance subframe bushings and oem replacement trailing arm. Just ordered the TC Klline S/A coil overs but forgot to specify spring rates just told them it was for street. What rates should I expect?

+1

450# fr/500# rear is what I typically install on customer cars (as well as my own 01).

Urethane subframe bushings and OE rubber for the trailing arms, and you'll be very happy on the street.

I use Rogue upper rear shock mounts, but they are all pretty much the same/same price too. I expect you've sourced yours from TCK, and they're fine.

Adjustable upper front strut bearings are a judgement call; nice to have, if they fit within your budget.

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
If you go with the upper front camber plates for caster/camber adjustment, many seem to prefer the Vorshlag to the TCK front camber plates because of wear characteristics (TCK sells both -- ask him for his perspective). I have the TCK ones, which I thought were wearing, but it was the D/A shocks instead.

I have K-MAC eccentric bushings (urethane) in back to allow rear camber/toe adjustment. I didn't want to go with the complexity of the weld-in kits. I am not unhappy with them, mostly because I've found an alignment guy in Los Angeles who can adjust them, and tightens them down enough so they hardly move in a year, in spite of many potholes. If I did eccentric bushings again, on the basis of discussions here and elsewhere, I'd probably go with the AKG ones.

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
Also, since this is a S54 engine, have you done any oil testing on this car? Do you know if the bearings have been replaced?

What shape is the radiator? Has it been replaced? Hoses? Unlike other models, most don't preventatively replace the water pump -- but watch for spray from the bearing (white residue on hood blacket and elsewhere). Mine went at 40k, but I haven't heard many others have that problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unlike other models, most don't preventatively replace the water pump -- but watch for spray from the bearing (white residue on hood blacket and elsewhere). Mine went at 40k, but I haven't heard many others have that problem.
Mine went at 75K and one of the few shops I trust has had so many S54 water pump failures that they recommend preemptive replacement at 75K miles for their customers.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=a.105698582975.93132.101100687975&type=1

--
Rex

·
///M drop top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven even thought about the water pump. I have a bently manuel so ill probably try to replace it myself.

I have had one blackstone report done and nothing out of the ordinary showed up. Due for my annual/7500 oil change. And ill do one then.

Now that Im thinking of it I should get the transmission fluid changed too.

Thanks for all the help & info

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Water pump, radiator, thermostat housing.

Check carefully and often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts