Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to hardwire my Beltronics GX65 to my Z4 M Coupe, and I'm not sure which fuse to tap into in the fuse box. I'm using an Add-A-Circuit to split one fuse into two. Which fuse would be the best to use?

I currently have the GX65 installed on the windshield to the top right of my rear view mirror, and I have the direct wire cord tucked in under the headliner, down the inside of the right A pillar, and into the fuse box. I currently have it sharing fuse 28. Everything seems to work and it looks really clean. Just wanted to ask if there was a better fuse to use.

I scanned a copy of my fuse box diagram, and used a test light to figure out which fuses are hot and when. Looking only at 5 amp fuses, I made the following color coded illustration:

Red - Hot all the time
Green - Hot at ignition position 1
Blue - Hot at ignition position 2

Fuses 2, 3, and 19 are unoccupied in my fuse box. 19 is listed as 20A, but 2 and 3 don't have an amp value. Does anyone know the amp value for fuse 2?

Also, does anyone know where to lookup the symbol to name mappings for the fuse box diagram? That would be the most helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up talking to a friend of mine who knows electrical stuff and he said it doesn't really matter which fuse slot I pick as long as I use the correct fuse for the line I'm connecting. So I ended up moving my install to slot #2 which was unoccupied and is hot at ignition position 2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not if it's larger than the wire feeding the fuse.
The wire feeding the fuse is #10.
True. But I'm connecting a 2 amp Radar to the fuse, and there isn't even anything that uses less than a 5 amp fuse on the fuse box. Do you think the #2 slot will not support 2 amps? (btw, I saw your great post about the fuse box take apart... well done.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts