BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seached and can't find anything on this subject. Anyone have an idea about what the alarm would cost for a Z4 Mroadster? Dealer is saying $125 plus 2 hours labor. Wonder how close to correct that is and is it possibly a do it yourself job?

TIA

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
zrdster said:
Thanks for that... I think I made my seach criteria to complicated when I tried...
No problem, Yeah its a bit tricky sometimes , I start off simple then get complicated;)

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
zrdster said:
I've seached and can't find anything on this subject. Anyone have an idea about what the alarm would cost for a Z4 Mroadster? Dealer is saying $125 plus 2 hours labor. Wonder how close to correct that is and is it possibly a do it yourself job?
Alarm w/motion detector for M Roadster is 65 73 0 309 944, $259 retail. $125 sounds like an alarm without motion sensor, which to me is pointless for a roadster. 2 hours labor sounds about right. Install involves removing complete center console between the roll bars and removal/reinstall of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've installed the BMW w/motion detector into my 2005 Z4. I am not happy with the motion sensor's activity as it takes a lot of motion around the console to trigger it. I put in the md because I have a radar detector mounted on the driver side visor and want to leave it there with the top down. A big NO, No. One can easily reach in and take the rd without triggering the alarm. I then put in the DEI 540M, but I'm still not happy with the protection of my radar detector...it still can be lifted without triggering the alarm. Best bet is to slip[ it out of its mount and put it into the console.

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
In my Z3, I had an Alpine 8063 with the motion sensor mounted under the armrest/ebrake. It was often too sensitive. The good point was that the alarm had 2 threshold levels that were programmable from the remote. Motion within the outer threshold had to maintain for 30 seconds before triggering the alarm, while motion within the inner threshold triggered the alarm instantly. The difficult part was getting the settings configured so someone reaching just a hand in would trigger the alarm, but a leaf blowing in would not. I found the settings to trigger if someone grabbed my V1 were so sensitive that the alarm would trigger as the seatbelts relaxed and retensioned themselves! I eventually learned to live with the lesser protection of higher threshold levels, but no false alarms.

So, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the relatively high trigger levels on the MZ4 alarm. I mount my radar detector to the windshield using suction cups, slightly above and to the passenger side of the rear view mirror. Therefore, it is kind of tucked in below the passenger sun visor. I suppose it is possible for someone to deftly reach in grab it without making enough fuss to trigger anything, but I never had a problem in 6 years of Z3 ownership, so maybe I've been lucky in that regard. I do wish the sensitivity was adjustable though, like my old Alpine system was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts